Going over the ACC schedule this year... | Syracusefan.com

Going over the ACC schedule this year...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
I listened to Durham this morning, and they broke down the most difficult ACC schedules this year. They were looking only at who teams were playing in the ACC and basing their analysis on the teams' overall records from last season. It's a highly imperfect way to look at SOS, but I figured I'd dive into the numbers because I'm a college prof. and have nothing to do right now.

First off, without a doubt, SU has the most difficult early-season schedule of any team in the conference. It's similar to other years when we have a promising beginning but get so beaten up during a stretch of challenging games that we lose to teams we are at least equal to later in the season. It looks like this is probably going to happen again this year.

Based on last year's records, SU's schedule isn't the most difficult in the conference. Duke and Wake both have more difficult overall ACC schedules. They play teams with an aggregate W-L record of 36-27 (.571) last year.

Here are their schedules:

Wake Forest (3-5)
Team
Record
Georgia Tech​
4-4​
Clemson​
8-0​
@VT​
1-6​
Pitt​
5-3​
FSU​
5-3​
@Duke​
5-3​
NC State​
4-4​
@SU​
4-4​

Wake Forest gets screwed more than any ACC team in the first year of non-division games. They had a pretty poor 3-5 record last year and were given the most demanding overall schedule in the league. They are on the road against the #1 and #3 team in the league last year (Duke, tied for 3rd at 5-3, and Clemson). They also play the other two teams with 5-3 records in the league last year. They only play one team with a losing record in the league last year.

Duke was also given a most demanding schedule. Here's how their in-conference schedule breaks down.

Duke (5-3)
Team
Record
Clemson​
8-0​
NC State​
4-4​
@FSU​
5-3​
@Louisville​
4-4​
Wake Forest​
3-5​
@UNC​
6-2​
@UVA​
1-6​
Pitt​
5-3​

Duke has the most challenging schedule in the league when all is said and done. I gave that honor to Wake Forest based on their final record last year versus Duke's 5-3 3rd-place finish.

Duke has a rough first four games. Clemson, NC State, and then @FSU and @Louisville. Based on last year's records, this is probably the league's most difficult four-game opening stretch. Then they have to go on the road to UNC after a brief home respite against the Demon Deacons. They will be hard-pressed to duplicate last year's 5-3 record.

The next most difficult schedule in the league goes to all of our favorite team - the Syracuse Orange. With an ACC record of 4-4 last year, we open with a murderer's row in-conference. I think SU has the most difficult four-game opening stretch for the sole reason that we play VT at Lane on a Thursday night. I don't care how down they are; that's a TOUGH place to play on Thursday nights.

Syracuse (4-4)
Team
Record
Clemson​
8-0​
@UNC​
6-2​
@FSU​
5-3​
@VT​
1-6​
BC​
2-6​
Pitt​
5-3​
@GT​
4-4​
Wake Forest​
3-5​

SU plays a schedule with an aggregate record of 34-29 (.539) last year in conference. Look at that schedule. The ACC schedule makers did the 'Cuse no favors with those first four games. We play the top three conference teams from last year in our first two conference games, two on the road. They have an aggregate 19-5 record in the conference last year. We'll be heavy underdogs in all three of those games. There's a good chance we'll also be an underdog against VT.

Three of the following four games would be considered traditional toss-ups. We have BC and WF at home, so that's a help. Pitt is our nemesis, and I never trust this team against them, home or away. We get hurt a bit playing a GT team at their place. I think this team has the capability to win all four of those games but could easily drop three of them, especially if we're beat up after the absolute gauntlet at the front end of the schedule.

Hey, thanks, ACC, for making our path to a winning record just about as difficult as it possibly could be!

I won't review the rest of the league in this detail, but Louisville lucks out with the most manageable schedule. BC, Virginia Tech, and UVA all have easy schedules as well. That makes sense, given their struggles and total records last year.

Here's a look at the rest of the teams in the league:

Team (Last year's conference record)
Aggregate record of ACC opponents from last year
Miami (3-5)​
34-29 (.539)​
UNC (6-2)​
34-29 (.539)​
Clemson (8-0)​
34-30 (.531)​
NC State (4-4)​
33-31 (.515)​
FSU (5-3)​
31-32 (.492)​
Georgia Tech (4-4)​
31-32 (.492)​
Pitt (5-3)​
30-33 (.476)​
UVA (1-6)​
29-34 (.460)​
Virginia Tech (1-6)​
29-34 (.460)​
BC (2-6)​
27-35 (.435)​
Louisville (4-4)​
25-37 (.403)​

So there you have it. If you base SOS simply on aggregate records from last year in the ACC, the above is what it looks like. I actually think this is the most imperfect way in the world to determine strength of schedule, but Packer did it this morning, so I figured I'd throw in my two cents. I do think SU's ACC schedule is incredibly challenging because of when they play and where they play the teams on their schedule.

What do you think? Does SU have a chance to make some noise with its schedule or are we doomed to be bludgeoned and bloodied for the second half where the schedule eases up?

I listened to Durham this morning, and they broke down the most difficult ACC schedules this year. They were looking only at who teams were playing in the ACC and basing their analysis on the teams' overall records from last season. It's a highly imperfect way to look at SOS, but I figured I'd dive into the numbers because I'm a college prof. and have nothing to do right now.

First off, without a doubt, SU has the most difficult early-season schedule of any team in the conference. It's similar to other years when we have a promising beginning but get so beaten up during a stretch of challenging games that we lose to teams we are at least equal to later in the season. It looks like this is probably going to happen again this year.

Based on last year's records, SU's schedule isn't the most difficult in the conference. Duke and Wake both have more difficult overall ACC schedules. They play teams with an aggregate W-L record of 36-27 (.571) last year.

Wake Forest (3-5)
Team
Record
Georgia Tech​
4-4​
Clemson​
8-0​
@VT​
1-6​
Pitt​
5-3​
FSU​
5-3​
@Duke​
5-3​
NC State​
4-4​
@SU​
4-4​

Wake Forest gets screwed more than any ACC team in the first year of non-division games. They had a pretty poor 3-5 record last year and were given the most demanding overall schedule in the league. They are on the road against the #1 and #3 team in the league last year (Duke, tied for 3rd at 5-3, and Clemson). They also play the other two teams with 5-3 records in the league last year. They only play one team with a losing record in the league last year.

Duke was also given a most demanding schedule. Here's how their in-conference schedule breaks down.

Duke (5-3)
Team
Record
Clemson​
8-0​
NC State​
4-4​
@FSU​
5-3​
@Louisville​
4-4​
Wake Forest​
3-5​
@UNC​
6-2​
@UVA​
1-6​
Pitt​
5-3​

Duke has the most challenging schedule in the league when all is said and done. I gave that honor to Wake Forest based on their final record last year versus Duke's 5-3 3rd-place finish.

Duke has a rough first four games. Clemson, NC State, and then @FSU and @Louisville. Based on last year's records, this is probably the league's most difficult four-game opening stretch. Then they have to go on the road to UNC after a brief home respite against the Demon Deacons. They will be hard-pressed to duplicate last year's 5-3 record.

The next most difficult schedule in the league goes to all of our favorite team - the Syracuse Orange. With an ACC record of 4-4 last year, we open with a murderer's row in-conference. I think SU has the most difficult four-game opening stretch for the sole reason that we play VT at Lane on a Thursday night. I don't care how down they are; that's a TOUGH place to play on Thursday nights.

Syracuse (4-4)
Team
Record
Clemson​
8-0​
@UNC​
6-2​
@FSU​
5-3​
@VT​
1-6​
BC​
2-6​
Pitt​
5-3​
@GT​
4-4​
Wake Forest​
3-5​

SU plays a schedule with an aggregate record of 34-29 (.539) last year in conference. Look at that schedule. The ACC schedule makers did the 'Cuse no favors with those first four games. We play the top three conference teams from last year in our first two conference games, two on the road. They have an aggregate 19-5 record in the conference last year. We'll be heavy underdogs in all three of those games. There's a good chance we'll also be an underdog against VT.

Three of the following four games would be considered traditional toss-ups. We have BC and WF at home, so that's a help. Pitt is our nemesis, and I never trust this team against them, home or away. We get hurt a bit playing a GT team at their place. I think this team has the capability to win all four of those games but could easily drop three of them, especially if we're beat up after the absolute gauntlet at the front end of the schedule.

Hey, thanks, ACC, for making our path to a winning record just about as difficult as it possibly could be!

I won't review the rest of the league in this detail, but Louisville lucks out with the most manageable schedule. BC, Virginia Tech, and UVA all have easy schedules as well. That makes sense, given their struggles and total records last year.

Miami (3-5)​
34-29 (.539)​
UNC (6-2)​
34-29 (.539)​
Clemson (8-0)​
34-30 (.531)​
NC State (4-4)​
33-31 (.515)​
FSU (5-3)​
31-32 (.492)​
Georgia Tech (4-4)​
31-32 (.492)​
Pitt (5-3)​
30-33 (.476)​
UVA (1-6)​
29-34 (.460)​
Virginia Tech (1-6)​
29-34 (.460)​
BC (2-6)​
27-35 (.435)​
Louisville (4-4)​
25-37 (.403)​

So there you have it. If you base SOS simply on aggregate records from last year in the ACC, the above is what it looks like. I actually think this is the most imperfect way in the world to determine strength of schedule, but Packer did it this morning, so I figured I'd throw in my two cents. I do think SU's ACC schedule is incredibly challenging because of when they play and where they play the teams on their schedule.

What do you think?

Does SU have a chance to make some noise with its schedule or are we doomed to be bludgeoned and bloodied for the second half where the schedule eases up?

Yes. ;)

Wake Forest (3-5)
Team
Record
Georgia Tech​
4-4​
Clemson​
8-0​
@VT​
1-6​
Pitt​
5-3​
FSU​
5-3​
@Duke​
5-3​
NC State​
4-4​
@SU​
4-4​

Duke (5-3)
Team
Record
Clemson​
8-0​
NC State​
4-4​
@FSU​
5-3​
@Louisville​
4-4​
Wake Forest​
3-5​
@UNC​
6-2​
@UVA​
1-6​
Pitt​
5-3​

Syracuse (4-4)
Team
Record
Clemson​
8-0​
@UNC​
6-2​
@FSU​
5-3​
@VT​
1-6​
BC​
2-6​
Pitt​
5-3​
@GT​
4-4​
Wake Forest​
3-5​

Miami (3-5)​
34-29 (.539)​
UNC (6-2)​
34-29 (.539)​
Clemson (8-0)​
34-30 (.531)​
NC State (4-4)​
33-31 (.515)​
FSU (5-3)​
31-32 (.492)​
Georgia Tech (4-4)​
31-32 (.492)​
Pitt (5-3)​
30-33 (.476)​
UVA (1-6)​
29-34 (.460)​
Virginia Tech (1-6)​
29-34 (.460)​
BC (2-6)​
27-35 (.435)​
Louisville (4-4)​
25-37 (.403)​

What do you think? Does SU have a chance to make some noise with its schedule or are we doomed to be bludgeoned and bloodied for the second half where the schedule eases up?
Read somewhere last night that going into the season, Louisville will be favored in every game this year.

Our biggest hurdle under Babers and competing in the ACC has been depth. It doesn’t matter if the schedule is front loaded or back loaded we won’t win 8+ games consistently unless we can go 3 deep at most positions.

Colgate is Colgate.

Western Michigan only has 2 starters returning on Defense and has a new coach. They are being picked to finish last in the MAC.

There’s a decent chance we start 4-0 this season. Purdue looks like the biggest obstacle to an undefeated out of conference. They are coming off a coaching and QB change. They are being picked to finish bottom 3 in the Big Ten.

Army is coming off a 6-6 season. They have a new OC and will have a new QB. They have never won a game in Syracuse.

Babers always coaches well against Clemson. We have only ever been able to pull off the W once. Much like 2018 this could be a battle of 4-0 teams. I’m optimistically saying there is a chance.

We then follow with @UNC and @FSU which will be very tough. With SU’s recent history I am gonna say we lose both.

VT is being picked to finish even behind Cuse and will likely be pretty bad. It’s a road game but is a W on paper.

BC at home again a W on paper.

Pitt at Yankee Stadium for some reason has disaster written all over it. It seems like we have lost to Pitt so much statistically speaking we are bound to win eventually, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

GT on the road is a toss up. WF at home is a W on paper.

8-4 this season is not too much to ask. I think 9-3 would be amazing and 7-5 is where I would go if I put money on it.

Our biggest hurdle under Babers and competing in the ACC has been depth. It doesn’t matter if the schedule is front loaded or back loaded we won’t win 8+ games consistently unless we can go 3 deep at most positions.

Colgate is Colgate.

Western Michigan only has 2 starters returning on Defense and has a new coach. They are being picked to finish last in the MAC.

There’s a decent chance we start 4-0 this season. Purdue looks like the biggest obstacle to an undefeated out of conference. They are coming off a coaching and QB change. They are being picked to finish bottom 3 in the Big Ten.

Army is coming off a 6-6 season. They have a new OC and will have a new QB. They have never won a game in Syracuse.

Babers always coaches well against Clemson. We have only ever been able to pull off the W once. Much like 2018 this could be a battle of 4-0 teams. I’m optimistically saying there is a chance.

We then follow with @UNC and @FSU which will be very tough. With SU’s recent history I am gonna say we lose both.

VT is being picked to finish even behind Cuse and will likely be pretty bad. It’s a road game but is a W on paper.

Pitt at Yankee Stadium for some reason has disaster written all over it. It seems like we have lost to Pitt so much statistically speaking we are bound to win eventually, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

8-4 this season is not too much to ask. I think 9-3 would be amazing and 7-5 is where I would go if I put money on it.
Great breakdown of the schedule. I agree that on paper, we have five baked-in wins ('Gate, WMU, Army, BC, WF).

I will put Clemson, FSU, and UNC as losses right now on paper.

That leaves four games that are toss-ups to a greater or lesser extent.

@Purdue: They have a good shot here but will also be underdogs. I believe this is the closest to a toss-up for these final four games.

@VT: I think we should win this one, but VT is still recruiting solid players, and playing at Lane on a Thursday night will make a game that, if played at noon in Blacksburg, much more difficult. I think we steal one here, but it will be a nail-biter.

@NYC vs. Pitt: Ugh. I hate that this is in NYC and that we can never seem to beat Pitt. The worm has to turn at some point, right? We dominated them for a long stretch in the 80s and 90s. They've dominated us since. It has to switch back at some time. I don't think it does this year. This one will be a loss.

@GT: I honestly have no idea here. New coach and a complete roster turnover on offense. It seems like a reset year, but getting them late in the season at their place feels like a trap. They could start hitting their stride with the offense and the talent they brought in. Plus, they went 4-4 under Brent Key last year when he took over. That massive improvement in the win category likely got him the head coaching gig.

I think this will be a win, but it will be close. 2-2 in these four is reasonable, and 3-1 would be great. That puts SU between 7-5 and 8-4, which I think is doable unless anarchy breaks out during the season. Which it very well could. Because Syracuse.

Colgate is Colgate.

love the optimism but I don't see it. 5-7

I’d rather we get the harder games out of the way while healthy before the team is decimated with injuries. We have a solid opportunity against Clemson playing them early.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I am putting this here since it is about ACC scheduling...

How in the heck is Miami ok getting BC on the road the last week of the season, and that might be an every other year thing for them?

If you look at the yearly last week matchups the only teams without a yearly must play game are BC, Duke, Miami, Pitt, SU, Wake. It would make sense for Duke and Wake to end yearly, why is it not already?

Of the other three, wouldn't Miami want SU since we play in a Dome? Swap us out of the FSU game and let them play BC. That still gives FSU their Northeastern game. Also they will never have to play BC on the road the last 2 weeks of the season since they play an FCS or weak G5 and then Florida.

It would be better off for SU, FSU, Miami to make the switch. And no one cares about BC so no harm there.

I’d rather we get the harder games out of the way while healthy before the team is decimated with injuries. We have a solid opportunity against Clemson playing them early.

We will always have strong teams to play in the ACC. What makes it so difficult is we have been getting our toughest opponents scheduled in consecutive weeks with no time to recover.

Sept 29 vs Clemson
Oct 7 @ UNC
Oct 14 @ FSU
(I didn't list Va Tech because although Lane Stadium is a tough place to play a night game, we do have a bye the week between FSU and Va Tech.)

Oct 15 vs NC St
Oct 22 @ Clemson
Oct 29 vs ND
Nov 5 @ Pitt
Nov 12 vs FSU

That five game stretch last year was brutal and took a toll on the team.

I think we are deeper this year than last, at least on paper in July. We may not be as talented in a few positions (RB, CB and LT), but I think we are deeper and more versatile across the board.

I'm looking forward to the season. I'm coming from California and plan to be at 4 home games this season. I have my season tickets, my parking, flights and hotel reservations already booked.

It’s July - 15-0!

[ removes Orange colored glasses ]

We get one of the top three, possibly two. I am not convinced UNC is a real tiger, though Mack makes them more than a paper tiger.

Clemson will be primed but they play in the Dome. Since sweltering heat didn’t work, we’re refrigerate the place. Just kidding.

If we stay healthy past the top three, 9-3 is feasible. 7-5 is my final answer.

We will always have strong teams to play in the ACC. What makes it so difficult is we have been getting our toughest opponents scheduled in consecutive weeks with no time to recover.

Sept 29 vs Clemson
Oct 7 @ UNC
Oct 14 @ FSU
(I didn't list Va Tech because although Lane Stadium is a tough place to play a night game, we do have a bye the week between FSU and Va Tech.)

Oct 15 vs NC St
Oct 22 @ Clemson
Oct 29 vs ND
Nov 5 @ Pitt
Nov 12 vs FSU

That five game stretch last year was brutal and took a toll on the team.

I think we are deeper this year than last, at least on paper in July. We may not be as talented in a few positions (RB, CB and LT), but I think we are deeper and more versatile across the board.

I'm looking forward to the season. I'm coming from California and plan to be at 4 home games this season. I have my season tickets, my parking, flights and hotel reservations already booked.
Are you flying in from Cali 4 times for games?
You Sir, are a better fan then me !

Are you flying in from Cali 4 times for games?
You Sir, are a better fan then me !

Flying in for Colgate and staying in the east through Western Michigan. Coming back for Army and staying through the Clemson game.

I will be able to do some work remotely, but plan to spend some time driving through the northeast and seeing some sights. Cooperstown is on the list. We are open to suggestions.

Flying in for Colgate and staying in the east through Western Michigan. Coming back for Army and staying through the Clemson game.

I will be able to do some work remotely, but plan to spend some time driving through the northeast and seeing some sights. Cooperstown is on the list. We are open to suggestions.
Letchworth state park would be worth it for a day trip.

The high peaks region of the Adirondacks is really nice. Maybe 3.5 hour drive from Syracuse. Might even see some fall colors with the trees in mid September.

The Thousand Islands area is beautiful. There are boat tours and lots of good restaurants. Great fishing too. Maybe a 2 hour drive from Syracuse?

If you are into wine or just awesome scenery, you could check out some of the Finger Lakes. Again, two hours or so to get there. There are state parks all over the place as well as many wineries.

If you like beer, there are lots of micro breweries all through upstate NY and CNY.

If you like fishing, every fall the Salmon River sees epic runs of King Salmon and Coho Salmon from September through October in Pulaski NY.

If you like soccer, the defending national championship college soccer program plays in Syracuse. Stop and see a game. SU plays a great schedule. I believe 6 of the top 11 teams in the preseason top 25 for college soccer are all in the ACC.

If you like burgers, CNY is home to most of the burgers judged to be the best in the state. Check them out with a burger marathon!

Watkins Glenn is a great park to visit, a “gorgeous” hike through the Glenn. Also, when you’re in that area, there are some days when you can arrange to drive your car (for a few $s) on the WG racetrack. We did that once, and it was a ball.

Also plenty of wineries there in the Finger Lakes - but if you’re from CA, they may not impress you. Still a nice visit.

There’s a skydiving service right in the heart of the Finger Lakes. You get a pretty nice view of the area falling from 10,000 feet.

The Elmira area (not far from there and the birthplace of you know who) bills itself as the “Soaring Capital of America” and regular glider plane rides are available if weather conditions are right. Corning Glass Museum is close by.

I forgot we play Pitt in the Bronx. What a joke that is.
Yeah I would really like to know how much more money we are getting for this vs. a JMA game. It better be significant, that is all I can say, but I question whether it is.

If you're going to Cooperstown I recommend hitting Brewery Ommegang for a draft and/or lunch. Café Ommegang - Brewery Ommegang
Letchworth state park would be worth it for a day trip.
The high peaks region of the Adirondacks is really nice. Maybe 3.5 hour drive from Syracuse. Might even see some fall colors with the trees in mid September.

The Thousand Islands area is beautiful. There are boat tours and lots of good restaurants. Great fishing too. Maybe a 2 hour drive from Syracuse?

If you are into wine or just awesome scenery, you could check out some of the Finger Lakes. Again, two hours or so to get there. There are state parks all over the place as well as many wineries.

If you like beer, there are lots of micro breweries all through upstate NY and CNY.

If you like fishing, every fall the Salmon River sees epic runs of King Salmon and Coho Salmon from September through October in Pulaski NY.

If you like soccer, the defending national championship college soccer program plays in Syracuse. Stop and see a game. SU plays a great schedule. I believe 6 of the top 11 teams in the preseason top 25 for college soccer are all in the ACC.

If you like burgers, CNY is home to most of the burgers judged to be the best in the state. Check them out with a burger marathon!
Watkins Glenn is a great park to visit, a “gorgeous” hike through the Glenn. Also, when you’re in that area, there are some days when you can arrange to drive your car (for a few $s) on the WG racetrack. We did that once, and it was a ball.

Also plenty of wineries there in the Finger Lakes - but if you’re from CA, they may not impress you. Still a nice visit.

There’s a skydiving service right in the heart of the Finger Lakes. You get a pretty nice view of the area falling from 10,000 feet.

The Elmira area (not far from there and the birthplace of you know who) bills itself as the “Soaring Capital of America” and regular glider plane rides are available if weather conditions are right. Corning Glass Museum is close by.

I appreciate all of these suggestions.

Beer and wine experiences are always enjoyed. I love to try the local beverages : ) The Hop Spot in Syracuse is a favorite in town.

Wine is good no matter where the grapes are grown. The wineries in Cali are nice. I actually prefer those along the central coast over those in the Napa area, but we do intend to experience a local winery or four in CNY.

Read somewhere last night that going into the season, Louisville will be favored in every game this year.
I just looked at their schedule. They play what is likely to be a Top 10 Notre Dame team at home -- I don't see them favored there. And then at NC State is probably a slight dog also.

And then at Pitt and at Miami. You never know, both those programs are so flaky every year.

God get out of Syracuse. Goto the Hudson valley and rhinebeck, Woodstock Vermont or Burlington, lake placid, head to Philly for a few days, drive up to Maine and eat some seafood. Good lord some of you need to get out more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom