Golic and Wingo mention | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Golic and Wingo mention

Are you talking about the poster you replied to? Or anyone else here that shares his opinion? Yeesh!

I don't think he's referring to anyone here as 99% of the posters here aren't the problem. We can disagree about stuff but I think we all pretty much support the program in one way or another. Not my point and hope it wasn't his because that would be kind of crazy. Don't feel that anyone here has to post their "support resume"

and BTW, this program needs piles of bandwagon fans. From the looks of it there are about 25K die hards left

Last edited:
Is there any wonder why the attendance is low? The teams hasn't proven they're truly that good. The QB, tho being mentioned as a Heisman candidate by the national media, isn't that good. That's basically what you get here on Syracusefan, a place where you would think that the support would be the strongest.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "support". Everyone (except maybe rare exceptions?) here is a fan and wants the team to excel. Some here are more negative than necessary but that's what many fans do: obsess over problems.

I don't come to the board to read about people "just supporting" the team. I come here for insight and analysis.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "support". Everyone (except maybe rare exceptions?) here is a fan and wants the team to excel. Some here are more negative than necessary but that's what many fans do: obsess over problems.

I don't come to the board to read about people "just supporting" the team. I come here for insight and analysis.

Agreed, cautious optimism shouldn't be viewed as a "non support" outlook either. most have supported this program through some dark days, very very dark days.

I don't think he's referring to anyone here as 99% of the posters here aren't the problem. We can disagree about stuff but I think we all pretty much support the program in one way or another. Not my point and hope it wasn't his because that would be kind of crazy. Don't feel that anyone here has to post their "support resume"

and BTW, this program needs piles of bandwagon fans. From the looks of it there are about 25K die hards left
this program needs piles of ripped out bleachers that they sell to those 25k

they can't reduce capacity fast enough

this program needs piles of ripped out bleachers that they sell to those 25k

they can't reduce capacity fast enough

Just adding seats to everywhere minus the student section and taking out that limited view stuff in the 200s would be perfect.

Just adding seats to everywhere minus the student section and taking out that limited view stuff in the 200s would be perfect.
the 30 year season ticket holder in good seats who doesn't show up a lot of the time doesn't want to be moved out by wider seats, they're in a tough spot there

upperdeck, they could make those seats twice as wide

How much so they have to succeed before fans stop sowing doubt and just support them? A team doesn't need bandwagon fans, by then they already accomplished the tasks.
Actually, a team does need bandwagon fans. Every team has them. Alabama suddenly has a lot more fans than they did pre-Saban. That's the way sports work. What you have to do is stay good long enough so that some of those bandwagon fans become invested and convert to diehards. We aren't at that step yet. First let's prove we're good enough to attract the bandwagon. Then let's see if we can stay good long enough to convert them.

the 30 year season ticket holder in good seats who doesn't show up a lot of the time doesn't want to be moved out by wider seats, they're in a tough spot there

That's going to be tough, but a reality that's going to have to happen. The only solution will be to offer affected season ticket holders that will be displaced either something comparable, or maybe a slight upgrade at the same price for a set period of time (2 or 3 years maybe). I'm sure there have been plans done before for similar situations in other renovated or replaced stadiums.

UNC just did it. They can make it work. Probably tougher for the hoops side of things.

UNC just did it. They can make it work. Probably tougher for the hoops side of things.
keep bleachers, change out the stickers. more room for football, less for basketball.

keep bleachers, change out the stickers. more room for football, less for basketball.

Two things I can guarantee when I show up to games. 4 scrappers sitting in my seats and then a blank look when I tell them they aren't in the right seats. Come on guys!

Myself and 3 daughters who are between the ages of 10-15 all stuffed in there like sardines for some crazy reason, never seems to make sense in 1/2 filled dome

Actually, a team does need bandwagon fans. Every team has them. Alabama suddenly has a lot more fans than they did pre-Saban. That's the way sports work. What you have to do is stay good long enough so that some of those bandwagon fans become invested and convert to diehards. We aren't at that step yet. First let's prove we're good enough to attract the bandwagon. Then let's see if we can stay good long enough to convert them.
I played at a golf outing on Saturday, and the people there were all nice people( teachers, state workers etc) and most of them like Syracuse and follow them at least casually. Other than me, there was not 1 person there who thought they had a prayer. I said something like, "I think they have a good chance and I believe they will win", and people would say, "you really do". Somehow, people like that, who can and would buy tickets and go to the game, are convinced that Syracuse is a big 0 and not to be taken seriously. Last year Syracuse played 4 big time teams on the road and came up 1 or 2 plays short and they defeated Clemson. This year they start out 4-0 with a great senior QB and everybody is just expecting them to ship the bed any minute. I've seen enough that I know the change has occurred, how much longer will it be before the diehards talk the team up instead of down? Maybe after the season is over, at least the home game schedule there might be some positive vibes going out, that seems like too late.

If the engineers at NASA could find a way to increase pullout seating, then it would be easier to make that conversion and offer the new pullout seating options to STHs who were displaced (at a one-time opt-in reduced price) before releasing to the general public.

I played at a golf outing on Saturday, and the people there were all nice people( teachers, state workers etc) and most of them like Syracuse and follow them at least casually. Other than me, there was not 1 person there who thought they had a prayer. I said something like, "I think they have a good chance and I believe they will win", and people would say, "you really do". Somehow, people like that, who can and would buy tickets and go to the game, are convinced that Syracuse is a big 0 and not to be taken seriously. Last year Syracuse played 4 big time teams on the road and came up 1 or 2 plays short and they defeated Clemson. This year they start out 4-0 with a great senior QB and everybody is just expecting them to ship the bed any minute. I've seen enough that I know the change has occurred, how much longer will it be before the diehards talk the team up instead of down? Maybe after the season is over, at least the home game schedule there might be some positive vibes going out, that seems like too late.
The diehards talk them up. Anybody I talk to, I mention how much better they are. It doesn't matter much because I live in Tennessee. Your comment about your friends is exactly the point I made previously. People like that won't believe it is true until the season long record reflects it. For two years in a row we had promising early season success and fell apart at the end. We know the team is different this year. They don't and nothing you say will change their minds because they know you wear orange colored glasses. When was the last time you pointed out deficiencies in the team to them? It's likely been never. Therefore, they see you as the Syracuse fan that cries wolf. Now that the team is getting good, they don't know that they can believe you because that's what you have always said. It will take at least one full season of success for those people to believe. It's the way it is and you can't change it. Belief will follow results with them.