Good win but nothing is learned from it... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good win but nothing is learned from it...

Agree 100% with your last sentence.

Now, to the OP's point -- while we learned that the team is pretty good, Colgate didn't provide much of a measuring stick to assess HOW good. But we definitely saw a lot of positive signs.
100%

The team did what everyone hopes. They beat a team convincingly that everyone expects. There have been times in the recent past we could not make that statement. Unfortunately over the last 20 yours I remember a few.
in that respect we learned that this team has potential to be good. We learned that we might have more depth. Some questions remain but to say that we learned nothing very eye-ore-ish.

I was not surprised that we beat Colgate by a good amount.. I was surprised at the passing plays compared to a WR group that you never saw those plays from going back over 20 yrs. They got open and caught the ball and the got YAC.. We need to see it again before knowing much more.

The Oline was wanting to me.

There was a ton learned. Here are just a few

Shrader still has work to do to recover from surgery.

Carlos looked very sharp and poised.

LA didn't have any rust from the suspension.

Our kicking game is strong.

We have an excellent back up to Pena for KR and punt returns.

Bama handled two guys granted they were Colgate, but he did his job.

The secondary looked in sync and played smart ball.

We have a deep receiving corp

Ike is as good as advertised.

Coach Long looks to be an upgrade which is saying a lot

New long snapper is solid.

enough?

The team did what everyone hopes. They beat a team convincingly that everyone expects. There have been times in the recent past we could not make that statement. Unfortunately over the last 20 yours I remember a few.
The team appears to have played a very vanilla offense and dominated. The D was really good even with the third and fourth teamers.
The difficulty it seems is that people will not give the team credit unless they beat North Carolina or Florida St. If Purdue looses to V Tech and we then beat them people will say they are no good. If we loose than we will hear we are no good. Same goes for Clemson with their lose to Duke or many other ACC teams. If we win then the conference is down. If we loose some old SU.
I’ll take any win for SU and am once again excited to see them play.
I remember a few years ago when we were given a win against Villanova, which we should have lost.
So yes we finally went out and best up a bad team the way a good team does.

I was not surprised that we beat Colgate by a good amount.. I was surprised at the passing plays compared to a WR group that you never saw those plays from going back over 20 yrs. They got open and caught the ball and the got YAC.. We need to see it again before knowing much more.

The Oline was wanting to me.
Yes the O line was not great, but not that bad for a game 1. They need to show progress this week and better cohesion. Get better week by week. This team has potential, whether they reach it is why we play the games.

Dino’s average score in 7 fcs games, 53-7

another myth.

Better than I would have thought. Coach Shafer's return burns in the memory.

And you can look back as recently as 2021, and see us open beating Ohio, a MAC team, 29-9 (not 65-0, or even 59-0 like we laid on Wagner).

That was followed by a 17-7 loss to Rutgers, giving up 24 points to Albany, and then losing to Liberty.

I'm kind of shocked to see how many times we played Liberty recently, given their less than awesome public profile.

Yes, there have been some blow-outs, but there have also been too many "easy" games where we gave up 30 points to a MAC team.

I feel like our Colgate win was a more comprehensive effort than we have seen from them in a while.

the lesson I learned was that we still don't go under center when it's third and a foot, and it almost always results in a loss of yardage or incomplete pass.

Hard to fool an old salt like Rocky Long. He knows what you going to do before you even think of it. Offenses beware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom