Goodbye Aluminum seats | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Goodbye Aluminum seats

Personally, I would rather see that key area of real estate used to improve the fan experience, and make the sports venue better. Use it to address weaknesses and bring the facility to the latest level of comfort and technology.

We know more locker rooms are needed. We do a lot of men and women doubleheaders where this is a big deal. We host a lot of tournaments/playoffs where this is a constraint. How many football games are played in the dome late in the year? There is no room to do proper press conferences for both coaches. Opposing coaches appear to be using a hallway right now. I think JB uses a locker room for his.

At least at one point, the media needed a room (to develop pictures maybe?). That might not be needed but they probably need more space. This was one of the issues preventing us from bidding to host the Final Four.

But more than any of that, there is a urgent need for more space on the western side of the facility for fans. There are no bathrooms on the western end of the facility. Not a single one. And yet we have 20K concentrated on that end for men's hoops games every year (and a lesser amount for close to 20 women's hoops games) and anytime anyone has to go to the bathroom, they have really long walks to do their business. So you need to add bathrooms on the western end (like done on the eastern end). Except on the lower and upper levels.

There are very limited options for concessions on the western end of the dome. You have to walk a long way if you want anything except for a handful of things (candy, water, soda maybe beer). Like everything, it is worse on the upper concourse.

And there is an acute need for more space on the western concourses. That small room built in the middle of the lower concourse on the eastern side that has the high tables for people to put their food and drinks so they can eat like civilized people needs to be recreated on the western side. It is needed more urgently on that side because that is the end where basketball is played.

Imagine if there was a restaurant in the dome near your seats on the western end of the venue where you could order a decent meal an hour before the game, sit down and eat it from a comfortable chair on a comfortable table, and maybe watch the pregame show and hear a breakdown of the game. I still work. It is hard to find time to eat dinner at home and stay get to the dome in time for a 7 pm weekday tipoff. Even if the restaurant was a fast food place, it would be a huge improvement to me. If there were a couple of choices...wow, how awesome.

Given there is no building close by on the other side of the western wall, I would think it would be easier to build out to the west and really open up the western concourses. Imagine a wall of glass looking over Onondaga Valley (okay, you would mostly see the new law school and a parking garage). But still, it would be nice to be able to see outside, have some room to walk around and a place to eat and drink.

If you doubt this is needed, all you need to do is look at the western concourses just before a hoops game or at halftime of a big game. They are a sea of humanity. It is a real mess and more space is urgently needed.

The hell with a hotel. Give me some space. Make it easier for me to go to the bathroom and eat and drink. That would be awesome and I think it would be really well received by the fanbase. Might even help to make up for the anger people are going to feel when their basketball seasons get reassigned to significantly worse locations.
"At least at one point, the media needed a room (to develop pictures maybe?). That might not be needed but they probably need more space. This was one of the issues preventing us from bidding to host the Final Four." I think that the NCAA has a rule that a Final Four cannot be held in a campus arena. When SU hosted a Regional, the team was shipped off to another region.

"At least at one point, the media needed a room (to develop pictures maybe?). That might not be needed but they probably need more space. This was one of the issues preventing us from bidding to host the Final Four." I think that the NCAA has a rule that a Final Four cannot be held in a campus arena. When SU hosted a Regional, the team was shipped off to another region.

They only want to put Final Fours in large NFL Football stadiums from now on.

2023HoustonNRG StadiumApril 1 & 3
2024PhoenixState Farm StadiumApril 6 & 8
2025San AntonioAlamodomeApril 5 & 7
2026IndianapolisLucas Oil StadiumApril 4 & 6

That's why Buffalo's new stadium should have a roof.

The committee has also expressed a desire to host their semis and finals on a college campus.

I know hosting a men's Final Four in Syracuse is a long shot. But hosting a women's Final Four will be very doable with the renovations.

At the least, it will position the dome much better to host semi finals for men's hoops down the road.

And make it a lot easier for the dome to host the Final Four for men's and women's lacrosse. ;)

The committee has also expressed a desire to host their semis and finals on a college campus.

I know hosting a men's Final Four in Syracuse is a long shot. But hosting a women's Final Four will be very doable with the renovations.

At the least, it will position the dome much better to host semi finals for men's hoops down the road.

And make it a lot easier for the dome to host the Final Four for men's and women's lacrosse. ;)
Hotel rooms (number and quality), and air lift end any Final Four discussion for the men's anyway.

Hotel rooms (number and quality), and air lift end any Final Four discussion for the men's anyway.

Last number I saw, which was several years ago, was that metro Syracuse was 800 hotel rooms short. Don’t know what that number is now. If we did build a hotel attached to the West end of the dome, that would help some. The other big issue was not having anyplace in the dome big enough for the media to work from. Have to believe the 25,000 sq foot facility being built between the Dome and Barnes would solve that.

Btw, what is the air lift issue?

They can have a new roof when the state decides to give SU $600M. Last I checked the Bills are not a state school and privately owned.

Last number I saw, which was several years ago, was that metro Syracuse was 800 hotel rooms short. Don’t know what that number is now. If we did build a hotel attached to the West end of the dome, that would help some. The other big issue was not having anyplace in the dome big enough for the media to work from. Have to believe the 25,000 sq foot facility being bumpy between the Dome and Barnes would solve that.
Also, none of the dome stadia the Final Fours have been played at recently are anywhere near the Northeast. The NCAA tries to take geography into account when picking locations for championships. They would like to play in the media rich Northeast from time to time.

And the NCAA has been getting severely criticized for their decision to play Final Fours exclusively in giant football venues. There are virtually no good seats at these venues. Fans have a terrible experience, can't see what is going on and feel ripped off.

Our dome is far smaller and more intimate, and would allow fans to sit dramatically closer to the court. And actually see what is going on.

I think if we can get the dome renovation completed and done right, we have a chance to get a Final Four. Definitely would land a women's Final Four.

they have been getting 70-75K . what would the dome hold if floor seating all around. i'm sure you could do some low risers but how many would that add up too they might squeeze 45-50K I supposed with the floor in the middle.. I dont that they can do too many floor seats

As much as I enjoy seeing basketball in the dome, I doubt Syracuse will ever get a Final Four, specifically a men's Finals Four. Maybe we can get First/Second round games in the future.

Future dates and locations have been set through 2026. March Madness Final Four: Future dates & sites

It's interesting to see Las Vegas as a site for the West Regional games in 2023. Las Vegas has multiple quality arenas and hosted three different conference tournaments this year: the Pac-12, Mountain West and Big West. Apparently, there is another NBA quality arena being built in Las Vegas, Group announces plan for new ‘NBA-ready’ arena in Las Vegas, eyeing expansion

I would not be surprised to see the entire sweet-sixteen played in Las Vegas one day, each of the regions at a different arena. There are enough arenas and certainly enough hotel rooms. Some even think there's enough to do on an off day, LOL. Although if all four regions were being played in the same city, technically there would not be an off day.

Also, none of the dome stadia the Final Fours have been played at recently are anywhere near the Northeast. The NCAA tries to take geography into account when picking locations for championships. They would like to play in the media rich Northeast from time to time.

And the NCAA has been getting severely criticized for their decision to play Final Fours exclusively in giant football venues. There are virtually no good seats at these venues. Fans have a terrible experience, can't see what is going on and feel ripped off.

Our dome is far smaller and more intimate, and would allow fans to sit dramatically closer to the court. And actually see what is going on.

I think if we can get the dome renovation completed and done right, we have a chance to get a Final Four. Definitely would land a women's Final Four.

The dome suites don’t have bathrooms. It’s not a realistic facility comparing to where these games are now played.

Unfortunately Syracuse will never be considered for a mens final four.

I love Buffalo but it's not a basketball city. You could have gotten tickets to this year's first and second round NCAA for 5 or 10 bucks. The people that live there breathe football and hockey. They should never host again, unless we are guaranteed to play there.

I love Buffalo but it's not a basketball city. You could have gotten tickets to this year's first and second round NCAA for 5 or 10 bucks. The people that live there breathe football and hockey. They should never host again, unless we are guaranteed to play there.
In my experience tickets at all venues are/were pretty easily attainable and other than the Final Four, pretty cheap.

Lower bowl crowd aren't real Football Fans...they have foo-foo amenities. The hard-core are up in the 300s.
Section 129 have a lot of hardcore fans. Very energized and engaged with the action on the field. It's been a lot fun. My 2-cents.

As much as I enjoy seeing basketball in the dome, I doubt Syracuse will ever get a Final Four, specifically a men's Finals Four. Maybe we can get First/Second round games in the future.
there’s no reason we can’t shoot for regional finals… we’ve hosted those before. Final four may be out of reach but I hate that pessimistic thinking. Let’s upgrade abd invest where we can and see what happens.

Thanks Tom...After reading that I'm off the hotel train and on your multipurpose center train. Your thoughts are much more beneficial to the program and fans than a hotel/condo thingie.
I tend to agree that a hotel would not be the best use of the west end, but keep in mind 81 is coming down and they are reimagining the welfare cluster in the highway vicinity - hopefully redeveloping and moving most of that a couple blocks further away from the new boulevard. Best case is some new business investments in that area in the next 5-10 years.

But yeah a new glass-enclosed western wall would be such a nice statement. I don’t care what they put inside it just get it done.

Has anyone mentioned yet how awesome it is that to UK people the seats are made of aluminium?
Hoosier girls love the flexibility of aluminum bench seats to spread out and get comfortable too!
Section 129 have a lot of hardcore fans. Very energized and engaged with the action on the field. It's been a lot fun. My 2-cents.
My comment was TIC

However I agree 129 is a great section. I've sat there before.

I tend to agree that a hotel would not be the best use of the west end, but keep in mind 81 is coming down and they are reimagining the welfare cluster in the highway vicinity - hopefully redeveloping and moving most of that a couple blocks further away from the new boulevard. Best case is some new business investments in that area in the next 5-10 years.

But yeah a new glass-enclosed western wall would be such a nice statement. I don’t care what they put inside it just get it done.
Keeping up with the Joneses.

Unfortunately Syracuse will never be considered for a mens final four.

Yeah, there's no way. Even if we had a relatively new 'state of the art' type facility that meets the current capacity requirement.

The Final Four venue should, IMO, absolutely be in a destination type city. If we are all being honest, Syracuse is as far from a destination type city as our hoops team seemingly is nowadays getting back to one anytime soon.

Additionally, I don't think the time of year it's held, typically the first few days in April, paints the area in its best light. Typically, the weather isn't really springlike, still often chilly and not that unusual to still get snow. Hardly anything is yet in bloom, the grass isn't that green, if green at all, etc. Not to mention, the street cleaning/sweep type machines haven't been out yet, so the roads still are messy, having a ton of crud/debris; salt, sand, gravel/slag, etc. on them applied from the harsh winter months.

Last edited: