Goodbye Aluminum seats | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Goodbye Aluminum seats

I always thought it would be a good idea to put seats in between the goal lines only. That would keep the end zones and corners as the "cheap seats" they are and would help with not reducing as much capacity. This would be perfect for hoops as the good end zone seats will sell anyways whether they have seat backs or not. It also will make the seat behind the baskets more appealing, especially if having a seat is important to you.

If they do this project in stages, this might be a good way to start out, as Tom mentioned football will likely be OK but hoops will be a problem, this could help alleviate the issues until the next season ticket renewal comes with a new seating chart.

I imagine this would be the most difficult part of this project. Realistically there's going to be groups of people left unhappy. I hope as many people as possible are taken care of and satisfied with their new seats.

It is, but you can't let it get in the way of progress.

And it's not like the hoops crowds have been as big lately either.

Might be the perfect time.

Looks like you’ll have to stand all game.

I hope they remember the cup holders on the back of the seats.
At Western Michigan, it was so bad I got up and moved over to their big donor seats. The area was empty around me but an usher came over and asked what I was doing? I convinced him to let me stay there.

I have renewed for season , if they move me up 10 rows, do I get a refund if I don’t want to move. ( I’m not going to ask but some people will )

I went through escape and evasion school and prefer not to be crammed into small spaces. Brings back bad memories.
I know the Orange seat backs cut leg room if your a large person they aren’t worth it.

I am wondering how they are going to find room for ramps in the facility. The concourses are already so congested.

Could they be planning on building them outside the building? Maybe circular ones like many NFL stadia have?

Also, let’s talk about this description of the addition on the east end of the stadium:

The 25,000-square-foot addition would be built on the east end of the stadium, filling in the vacant space between the stadium and the Barnes Center at the Arch.

SU told state officials they would allow law enforcement and first responders to use the building for free to conduct training for 10 years after its construction.

The university did not supply specific information about the building’s use but said it would directly benefit students at the neighboring SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry and high schools across the state.

Now SU announced a building connecting the dome to the Barnes Center in 2019. The Mirons were announced as the donors and the building was called Victory Court.

It sounds like this is more involved that the ‘enclosed pedestrian thruway’ originally envisioned.

What kind of a building could be used for training by law enforcement and first responders? Maybe with top of the line remote learning capabilities?

I would think the first priority here would be to provide a big, open area for fans to spread out and relax. Maybe add some meeting rooms, more areas for food preparation. More bathrooms too. They added some on the lower concourse but I assume this building will have two floors and the second one will be at the level of the upper concourse and provide more restrooms behind the eastern end zone.

The needs for a large stadium and the usage discussed in Mink’s article are pretty different. But if a big part of it is to augment the education experience for students, it would probably make it easier to sell to professors who are against any attempt to spend money on athletics. This would align the use of the building more with what the Barnes Center’s purpose is.

It will be interesting to hear more about this building. I am intrigued.

I am wondering how they are going to find room for ramps in the facility. The concourses are already so congested.

Could they be planning on building them outside the building? Maybe circular ones like many NFL stadia have?

Also, let’s talk about this description of the addition on the east end of the stadium:

The 25,000-square-foot addition would be built on the east end of the stadium, filling in the vacant space between the stadium and the Barnes Center at the Arch.

SU told state officials they would allow law enforcement and first responders to use the building for free to conduct training for 10 years after its construction.

The university did not supply specific information about the building’s use but said it would directly benefit students at the neighboring SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry and high schools across the state.

Now SU announced a building connecting the dome to the Barnes Center in 2019. The Mirons were announced as the donors and the building was called Victory Court.

It sounds like this is more involved that the ‘enclosed pedestrian thruway’ originally envisioned.

What kind of a building could be used for training by law enforcement and first responders? Maybe with top of the line remote learning capabilities?

I would think the first priority here would be to provide a big, open area for fans to spread out and relax. Maybe add some meeting rooms, more areas for food preparation. More bathrooms too. They added some on the lower concourse but I assume this building will have two floors and the second one will be at the level of the upper concourse and provide more restrooms behind the eastern end zone.

The needs for a large stadium and the usage discussed in Mink’s article are pretty different. But if a big part of it is to augment the education experience for students, it would probably make it easier to sell to professors who are against any attempt to spend money on athletics. This would align the use of the building more with what the Barnes Center’s purpose is.

It will be interesting to hear more about this building. I am intrigued.

Here's the actual verbiage from the story:

The project will include upgrades to existing stairs and railings and four ramps on the lower concourse to comply with accessibility rules under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act.

Reconstructing the exterior ramps leading to Gate B & C? Eliminating the steps?

Right now the only lower level handicap access is Gate A.

I imagine seniority is one of the key criteria for deciding who gets bumped from a row. If you’ve been a STH for 30 years I’d hope you’d get first choice over your neighbor who just got seasons last year.

Either that or BMI.

I like the orange seat backs cause it drives me crazy when whoever is sitting next to me starts sitting in my designated spot. It’s like some always keep sliding over.
Thats why Dcuse and I have aisle seats. It’s like getting the window or aisle on a packed aircraft. You have a little extra room.

Thats why Dcuse and I have aisle seats. It’s like getting the window or aisle on a packed aircraft. You have a little extra room.
Yeah we opted for that as well this year, in fact it was the whole butt sliding thing that caused me to decide to do so, lol.

Here's the actual verbiage from the story:

The project will include upgrades to existing stairs and railings and four ramps on the lower concourse to comply with accessibility rules under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act.

Reconstructing the exterior ramps leading to Gate B & C? Eliminating the steps?

Right now the only lower level handicap access is Gate A.
It’s a poorly written sentence but I think Nate was trying to say the upgrades are to existing stairs and railings and they are also planning to build four new ramps.

Mr Mink says lower concourse but of course stairs and ramps have to go somewhere. Not his best work but he is doing well given his educational background.

Right now it is a major problem moving between concourses if you are handicapped. There’s only one elevator for patrons of the dome. It’s a huge violation of ADA that has to be a priority to be addressed.

I hope a better written article comes out soon.

Meanwhile a story from CNYCentral has a little more on the new building.

The renovations will also introduce an event facility to expand activities and concessions as well as an upgrade to the Dome’s digital infrastructure to support high–speed wireless connectivity.

And there is this blurb from Spectrum:

Introducing an on-site and publicly accessible event facility, designed to expand visitor access to pre- and post-event activities and concessions

So the event facility appears to be connected with concessions. Pre and post event activities. Are we talking about a place to eat food? Could it be In part a place for big donors to wine and dine? An expanded Club 44? Whatever purposes it serves. I am glad more space is being added. More space is badly needed.

SU needs to think outside the box here to accommodate our super sized fans. Maybe the seats can be modular - something modeled after legos with lots of flexibility. Fans could order them in all different widths. XL would of course come with a surcharge since you can't fit as many in a row. Maybe a discount for youth width. Love seats for couples, think of the possibilities.
Maybe they can add a little solid tent covering for couples!

I like my aisle seat too. The only downside are the people in the middle of the row who come to the game primarily to drink beer. They drink as much as they can in the first half and then are going to the restroom during the second half. I have to keep getting up to let them in and out. :mad:

Perhaps this is when Syracuse officially moves the bball court to the center of the dome

You’re already going to anger so many people with seasons by adding in the seats, might as well take advantage to move the bball court to center so it’s directly under the new giant scoreboard and would still allow capacity for bball games to be incredibly high

I like my aisle seat too. The only downside are the people in the middle of the row who come to the game primarily to drink beer. They drink as much as they can in the first half and then are going to the restroom during the second half. I have to keep getting up to let them in and out. :mad:

This is exactly why I bought aisle seats that are right at the tunnel entrance.

You don't get as many funny looks when you sneak in and out. No matter how big your head is.

I’ve clamored for bench holes so the men can do their business in their seat and not disrupt everyone else in their row. The expensive part is adding a proper drainage system underneath.