Goodman with JB | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Goodman with JB

Well, I'll say this...if JB starts Sidibe over Jesse, that would actually be a very good sign, cuz it would mean that Sidibe is looking very good in practice, getting the best of Jesse more often than not (& we have good reason to believe Jesse will be much improved this year).

Yes, experience is absolutely is as important as JB perceives it, but I think he takes the Center position very seriously this year, more than usual, given the defensive weaknesses of his scorers overall.

Sidibe starting would mean Center will be an important strength on this year's team; not just crucial for team defense, but perhaps also an important offensive element that they will try to establish every game...
No way Jesse isn’t better, and has a huge upside

Being a shoot first team

We are going to blow out a couple good teams this year...and conversely I expect we'll get blown out a couple times

Yeah I just hope that the "wins" come early on and we can deal with those letdowns in league play a time or two. Non conference success is what we really need as we should be ok in ACC play.

So give Jimmy Jr the same resume and experience, but change his last name to Smith...he starts over Benny?
Yes.
Why would you think different?

This assumes that Jimmy does start. If he does it will be for reasons that JB has wrapped himself around his entire career: experience (+ Jimmy's demonstrated ability to execute the high-post offense.)

If Smith had those credentials, he'd also start...for the same reasons.

I don't get this bizarre assumption that JB will not be able to help himself and always give his kids extra credit just cuz they're his kids.

Sure, he loves his children and wants to see them succeed, but you don't know anything about Jim Boeheim if you don't know that he wants to win more than anything else in life.

Yes, he'll look for opportunities for his boys and on the margin, if Jimmy or Buddy seem to be as good as one of his other player options, he's gonna make sure that his kid will have his shot. But he's not going to ignore it when one of his kids' weaknesses is jeopardizing a possible win.

I think JB's done an outstanding job of balancing his personal interest in Buddy's success thus far with his passionate coaching instinct to win games.

Still, we get these constant assumptions that JB will jeopardize his team's chances for the sake of his kids and there just ain't any evidence of it.

Just because you guys keep accusing Jim Boeheim of damning failures of character does not transform them into reality...
Reinhard Von Lohengramm Ugh GIF

Jb like most coaches plays favorites.
As to Benny or Jimmy they are 2 different players.
Benny is a potential super star. Jimmy is going to do very well. I expect all 3 forwards to play about equal minutes.

So give Jimmy Jr the same resume and experience, but change his last name to Smith...he starts over Benny?
No. A 5 star fresh SHOULD...key word SHOULD be better than even a senior Ivy league player. If Jimmy and Cole are killing it, then they deserve to start over Benny but if we have another situation from last year (we all know what it was), welp, I hope he gets pushed out. That Sweet 16 gave jimmy some grace period if he wants it unfortunately.

No. A 5 star fresh SHOULD...key word SHOULD be better than even a senior Ivy league player. If Jimmy and Cole are killing it, then they deserve to start over Benny but if we have another situation from last year (we all know what it was), welp, I hope he gets pushed out. That Sweet 16 gave jimmy some grace period if he wants it unfortunately.

I agree with you, but gird your loins after that post.

That Sweet 16 gave jimmy some grace period if he wants it unfortunately.
I agree w the premise of your post, but trying to understand this part...

Worried that Benny was probably TOLD he would be starting. And based on that interview, he is not. Jimmy better be the better player…

Jb like most coaches plays favorites.
As to Benny or Jimmy they are 2 different players.
Benny is a potential super star. Jimmy is going to do very well. I expect all 3 forwards to play about equal minutes.
They play the guys they trust the most. If that’s favorites, so be it.

Obviously JW isnt the AD we all think/hoping he would be. He’s hands off in a lot of ways. Can be a good or bad thing depending on how u look at it.

If we didnt make the tourny or had another obvious game of our arguably 2nd most important player sitting the bench and we lost first round, AW would have had to address it. I’ve never seen so many former players, analysts and other coaches comment on a player sitting for us than we had with Kadary. Big time players who still love JB. Hell, the assistants were getting after JB about it (and you arent allowed to question the godfather).

I’m not saying he would have gotten fired (he isnt gonna get fired) but I know Griff was ready to go above JB with his concerns….

The Sweet 16 run puts a band aid on it unfortunately

Dude, please. Just stop.

People who delusionally believe that an AD would dictate to a HOF coach which players he should start, and how many minutes they should play, are on crack.

NO AD at any program anywhere would ever micro-manage a coach like that.

And no coach would ever allow it.

It’s not coaching via Internet or crowd-sourcing.

Obviously JW isnt the AD we all think/hoping he would be. He’s hands off in a lot of ways. Can be a good or bad thing depending on how u look at it.

If we didnt make the tourny or had another obvious game of our arguably 2nd most important player sitting the bench and we lost first round, AW would have had to address it. I’ve never seen so many former players, analysts and other coaches comment on a player sitting for us than we had with Kadary. Big time players who still love JB. Hell, the assistants were getting after JB about it (and you arent allowed to question the godfather).

I’m not saying he would have gotten fired (he isnt gonna get fired) but I know Griff was ready to go above JB with his concerns….

Not aiming at you as I know I've criticized in the past but I would bury this one in my "things I share within my own four walls". A former player and now coach letting out he wanted to go above the head of his old coach and boss over a playing time decision is first of all hard to believe, especially considering that coach is still here and if you know it then I am sure JB and the other coaches know it. So even if it's true I just think it's one of those things to let be.

Not exactly the thing you want floating around on a public message board even if it's absolutely true. Just my two cents. Again I'm not criticizing you.

Serious question---who is the 4th shooter they keep talking about? Benny?
I’m worried that JB thinks it’s Jr., even though the kid shot 29 percent from 3 at Cornell his last season there. Not good. I hope he’s talking about Benny, who’s a good shooter, but I think it may be Jr.

I’m worried that JB thinks it’s Jr., even though the kid shot 29 percent from 3 at Cornell his last season there. Not good. I hope he’s talking about Benny, who’s a good shooter, but I think it may be Jr.

People just love that stat, with ZERO context. :rolleyes:

He was The Man for Cornell that year. Pretty much their main offensive option.
So naturally he got all of the attention of the other teams, who would likely assign their best defender on him, send doubles at him, etc.

Do you really think Junior would draw that sort of defensive attention here??

He’s realistically going to be our 3rd or 4th option anytime he’s on the floor. Not unlike Marek was.

I’d honestly be shocked if he doesn’t shoot at least mid-high 30’s from 3, given that he’ll likely be on the floor w some combo of:
Buddy, Joe, Cole and/or Benny.

Is this a joke? It’s complete nonsense in every possible way.

He will shoot better because of the other shooters on the floor with him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom