Google Chromecast and SU Hoops | Syracusefan.com

Google Chromecast and SU Hoops

SUMBA

2nd String
Chromecast streams various video feeds from a computer or smartphone to your TV. This includes ESPN 3 so I can now watch SU sports that are not available anywhere but ESPN 3 on my flat screen TV. The device syncs with the wifi router and shoots the signal from my phone to my TV in full 1080 splendor. Other than a few glitches, most of which were wifi related, I have been very pleased with this setup. The device costs about $35.00, is plug and play (after syncing with the wifi), and available at most electronics stores. The device syncs with a number of other feeds including Netflix, YouTube, MLB Network among others.

I will be watching tonight's game on my big screen thanks to this device. If anyone else would be so inclined, I highly recommend Chromecast for viewing tonight's game on ESPN 3.

I am not sure because I shoot the signal from the app on my phone.
Thanks. If only there were someplace I could go to find out how this thing works...some kind of information superhighway or something... :D

Chromecast streams various video feeds from a computer or smartphone to your TV. This includes ESPN 3 so I can now watch SU sports that are not available anywhere but ESPN 3 on my flat screen TV. The device syncs with the wifi router and shoots the signal from my phone to my TV in full 1080 splendor. Other than a few glitches, most of which were wifi related, I have been very pleased with this setup. The device costs about $35.00, is plug and play (after syncing with the wifi), and available at most electronics stores. The device syncs with a number of other feeds including Netflix, YouTube, MLB Network among others.

I will be watching tonight's game on my big screen thanks to this device. If anyone else would be so inclined, I highly recommend Chromecast for viewing tonight's game on ESPN 3.

I bought one based on SUMBA's recommendation a few months back. It works great (thanks SUMBA)--I also use it for my MLB package and Netflix as well (also taking feed straight from the phone). The concept is the same as Apple TV, but Apple is $99 so this is much cheaper. I bought mine on Groupon for $25. The picture is excellent too--you don't seem to lose the high-definition. This was sometimes a problem when I hooked up an HDMI cord to my laptop--often seemed to lose some picture quality.

Cool, I do use AppleTV for this, but I didn't know chromecast had a WatchESPN app. Nice.

I did use chrome cast to cast my chrome browser tab (PC) with full screen cuse.go full access (Carleton and Adrian) to my TV.

Chrome cast is nice, but I prefer AppleTV for WatchESPN because I have my AppleTV connected via ethernet, sometimes the chromecast is choppy on wifi (thats more of a router thing though)

I still recommend Roku, but mainly because that's the only one I've really tried and I love it. You can get a Roku Stick now, which is basically like a Chromecast in that it's a USB stick that you plug directly into the TV, and otherwise if functions exactly the same as a regular Roku. It's $50 that I think a lot of people would be happy they spent.

Is ESPN3 the only online feed for tonight's game? What about us Canadians? They black us out from ESPN3. Will this be on Orange All-Access or another stream? How about Directv?

Chromecast sucks. Bought it to watch the Villanova football game last year. Lags were so bad that by the end, the telecast was at 7:00 left when the game was already over.

Is ESPN3 the only online feed for tonight's game? What about us Canadians? They black us out from ESPN3. Will this be on Orange All-Access or another stream? How about Directv?
Interestingly, the 'Video' link at cuse.com takes you directly to the espn3 link. According to cuse.com, OOA will only be providing audio. Of course, that may change.

Chromecast is awesome. It does ESPN, but if a game's not on there, you can get creative with finding a stream online and cast a tab directly to the TV

I don't consider myself dumb when it comes to technology by any means...I will say though that ive researched chromecast, appletv and roku and i swear i don't understand what the point of it is. What can you do with them if you already have cable? I considered getting rid of time warner and replacing it with one of those devices, but it seems like without time warner login that you cant watch espn app stuff anyways. Why am i so confused with this? haha

Roku question:

I have one and the Watch ESPN app. However my cable provider changed and I can't figure out how to log out and put in my new info. I searched the ESPN site and couldn't find anything and I'll give the Roku guys a spin later, just seeing if anyone here knows anything.

If Chromecast is not optimized for the site it's real clunky, and imo, worthless. For things like Netflix, Youtube, etc...which are optimized, it's really cool. That said, I strongly prefer Roku for its user interface and remote.

Roku question:

I have one and the Watch ESPN app. However my cable provider changed and I can't figure out how to log out and put in my new info. I searched the ESPN site and couldn't find anything and I'll give the Roku guys a spin later, just seeing if anyone here knows anything.

I remember having 'probably' the same problem when I switched from Time Warner cable to Verizon FIOS a few months ago...it took me a while to figure out what Watch ESPN wanted me to put in for my new provider. Turned out they wanted my Verizon account username and password.

I don't think I had to sign out of my previous TW username and password account. With the Verizon connection it was gone.

I had to get the Verizon sign in thing figured out on Watch ESPN before I could get Roku to connect using Watch ESPN.

Hope that's not too confusing.

Roku question:

This was a few years ago, but when I changed from TW to FIOS I had a similar issue on my laptop. I was signed in on espn.com with my espn username, and then tried to sign in with my new FIOS credentials to Watch ESPN. But every time I did that while signed on with espn.com, it tried to log back in with TW, I guess because my espn account was already associated with the TW login.

To make a long story short, I had to contact watch ESPN support and they cleared up my account. I don't know if the same applies on a Roku, but it might be worth trying if you continue coming up empty.

Chromecast is a great value. It will only work as fast as the slowest cog in the mix though. I find that Chromecast works great whenever I stream through my smartphone or tablet. If I stream thru my laptop it sucks. Already streaming the feed for this game thru my tablet to my TV via Chromecast and it's working great as I would expect.

What can you do with them if you already have cable?
There are lots of games that are only available by way of ESPN3. Tonight's SU hoops and soccer games, for example.

The downside of Chromecast is that it requires the use of another device. Its competitors don't have this restriction.

ESPN3 picture is mediocre tonight on Chromecast and Roku. Picture quality has been much better in the past. My Roku is wired. But it's still better than watching the bogus standard definition feed on Time Warner.