Gorges day in Ithaca as Orange Softball sweep two Red opponents | Syracusefan.com

Gorges day in Ithaca as Orange Softball sweep two Red opponents

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Sorry just couldn't resist being corny. SU, Cornell & Colgate participated in a round robin in ideal playing conditions. The temperature stayed near the 70 degree mark with nary a cloud in the sky and no detectable wind.

Niemand.jpg

Today, Syracuse played a double header at the interesting Niemand-Robinson softball field, just down the road from the main campus. Situated next to the beautiful Reis Indoor/Outdoor Tennis Center the field is like no other I have ever seen. Cornell, a school known for it's College of Agriculture curiously has an all artificial turfed field. There is one exception, the pitching circle, it's composed of the usual dirt/clay composite.

Ran into an old friend of mine who was an assistant coach at the school and he explained why they went away from grass. They had so many rain outs that many times they had to schedule home games on the road. The infield and warning tracks are a dirt color. The problem with the warning track being turf is there is no physical difference in the surface. The idea of a warning track is to warn fielder's that they are getting close to the fence to prevent injuries. Gravel dust is the most common substance used on regular fields.

In most cases the fielder nearing the fence is looking up going after a fly ball and won't see the color difference.

Oh well!

Getting back to the doubleheader. SU faced Colgate in game one and powered their way to a 7-1 win. Jasmine Watson had a three run shot, Shirley Daniels and Mary Dombrowski also homered.. Lindsay Taylor pitched 6 dominant innings. This outing she mixed all of her pitches and looked real sharp. The lone run was given up by Jocelyn Cater in the 7th inning.

Game two SU beat Cornell 11-4. Last year, in the regular season they split a double header 10-9 & 2-3 in Syracuse.

Shirley Daniels and freshman Sydney O' Hara provided the power in this game both going yard.

Chicago freshman Ellie Forkin had two hits in each game. Her dad was in for the weekend so the timing couldn't have been better. At this point, Ellie is the back-up catcher to Nicole Lundstrom. California sensation Christina Clermont pitched 5 very strong innings. She has a good mix of pitches, has a fastball that rises and is tough to hit.

SU has one more game left this fall, it's next Sunday in Binghamton.

FSU, who finished last season the highest nationally ranked ACC team at 16, by comparison, plays all the way through until November 9.

I learned that SU will be entertaining Georgia Tech in March. I'm concerned about the weather at that time of year. Playing in the Dome is not the easy answer as it takes a big bite out of the softball budget.

VPI, Pitt and Virginia are the only ACC teams that I could find who have their 2014 schedules posted.

SU will travel to Virginia March 15-16. They will also travel to Pittsburgh April 12 for a doubleheader and a single game on April 13. The Hokies will be playing a double header here April 26 and a single game the following day.

The ACC Championship will be held in College Park Maryland 5/8-5/10.

This season SU will be switching to all Nike softball apparel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom