Gotta beat NCSt | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta beat NCSt

Went to the NCSU - UNC game in Chapel Hill. Outside the no show classes it was impressive how much bigger NCSU was and they pushed UNC all over the field. Some sloppy play and playcalling by State left 14 -17 more points on the table. Good team, am quite concerned.

There was a lot of pre-season hype for NC State that I honestly just didn't get. So far this season they lost to S. Carolina and beat Marshall and Furman...whoopee. And as far as their first "signature" win in 5 years under Doeren against a wounded FSU, I would say our win over VT last year was a better signature win in the first year of Babers.

In Tallahassee makes it bigger...sure FSU is wounded, dealing with natural disasters, qb issues, etc. Still FSU at Doak Campbell. That is pretty big. Our VaTech signature win game was at home in the Dome. Not to dump on our win ...as it was a monster.

GO ORANGE!

Because it would be interesting to compare the RB's specifically, is it that big of a deal?

I don’t know - you asked?

I was very specific in saying running game, not running backs. I actually think it would be less helpful. They definitely have better RB’s and their QB doesn’t run. We know our RB’s haven’t been great.

They are favored for a reason. They have been better against better competition.

But I don’t think it’s a very wide gap at all. We could win by 10 and I wouldn’t be all that surprised. I’d be more surprised if it was a blow out in either direction.

since conway returned to the game last saturday i' m assuming he should be ready to go saturday

Went to the NCSU - UNC game in Chapel Hill. Outside the no show classes it was impressive how much bigger NCSU was and they pushed UNC all over the field. Some sloppy play and playcalling by State left 14 -17 more points on the table. Good team, am quite concerned.
I hear ya. I distinctly remember NCSU looking much bigger than our guys the last two times we played them and them having bigger/faster receivers. Same can be said about LSU. Hopefully we match up better this year.

I don’t know - you asked?

I was very specific in saying running game, not running backs. I actually think it would be less helpful. They definitely have better RB’s and their QB doesn’t run. We know our RB’s haven’t been great.

I did ask but I didn't ask you to reply. I was curious about the difference in run game between the RB's. I didn't ask you for that information, so it didn't matter whether you were specific or not in what you posted. I also don't care whether you think it's helpful or not, I was curious so I was slightly interested. I don't need you telling me whether it's helpful information or not.

It was a specific question that didn't require a douche response from you. Again.

I did ask but I didn't ask you to reply. I was curious about the difference in run game between the RB's. I didn't ask you for that information, so it didn't matter whether you were specific or not in what you posted. I also don't care whether you think it's helpful or not, I was curious so I was slightly interested. I don't need you telling me whether it's helpful information or not.

It was a specific question that didn't require a douche response from you. Again.

1. I was the one talking to the NC State poster about being the better rushing team, so your question was directed at me and the NC State poster. So I responded.

2. Sorry you felt it was douche-y.

3. It’s easy enough info to find. It would be great if you found it and shared it here. An argument why you think rushing stats that only include RB are important would be cool too. Interested in your take.

4. I’ve tried really hard to not argue with you, though you like to throw accusations around. Let’s argue over *actual* things like stats and opinions, not whether you think I’m RutgersAl or specifically douche-y to you.

5. If you don’t think it’s possible to see what I write in a certain way - block me. Won’t hurt my feelings.

It would be interesting to see how many plays Dungey is expected to run for by design or something built-in VS runs where he is bailing out the offense due to nothing being open or just being impulsive.

That being said we really can't run with our RBs so I would say NC St. has an advantage there.

It would be interesting to see how many plays Dungey is expected to run for by design or something built-in VS runs where he is bailing out the offense due to nothing being open or just being impulsive.

That being said we really can't run with our RBs so I would say NC St. has an advantage there.

Yeah - that would be interesting. That data is harder to come by for sure (you'd have to go through the play by plays of all of the games). I think the difference this year is that they are calling more runs, but that's just a guess based on memory...

They def have an advantage at RB. Hines is a good one. I'd wonder if they have run blocking issues?

They really are a lot like us, only a few years further into their HC's tenure.

Alright, ran the numbers. It's as you'd expect. Their RB's are better (Hines esp). Our QB runs a lot more and is as good on avg as their RB. Our WR end arounds and creativity works and is a good answer to not running well from traditional sets. Thoughts?

Running Backs
Syracuse RB, 96/361 = 3.76
NC State RB, 119/533 = 4.48

Starting QB's
Dungey, 56/235 = 4.48
Finley, 4/12 = 1.17*

Wide Receivers Rushing
Syracuse WR, 8/74 = 9.25
NC State WR, 2/-15 = -7.5

*Note: NC State backup QB McClendon has rushed 6 times for 67 = 11.17 avg.

EDIT: I should also note that we've run the ball more than them. I think that we tried to run so much vs the 1st 3 opponents and had such limited success - means you'll see us look more like we did vs LSU (and the bulk of last season) and pass the **** out of the ball.

Alright, ran the numbers. It's as you'd expect. Their RB's are better (Hines esp). Our QB runs a lot more and is as good on avg as their RB. Our WR end arounds and creativity works and is a good answer to not running well from traditional sets. Thoughts?

Running Backs
Syracuse RB, 96/361 = 3.76
NC State RB, 119/533 = 4.48

Starting QB's
Dungey, 56/235 = 4.48
Finley, 4/12 = 1.17*

Wide Receivers Rushing
Syracuse WR, 8/74 = 9.25
NC State WR, 2/-15 = -7.5

*Note: NC State backup QB McClendon has rushed 6 times for 67 = 11.17 avg.

EDIT: I should also note that we've run the ball more than them. I think that we tried to run so much vs the 1st 3 opponents and had such limited success - means you'll see us look more like we did vs LSU (and the bulk of last season) and pass the **** out of the ball.

Nice. Yeah, Dungey is a factor for in the run game but, IMO, he runs way more than necessary. I know he needs to though to be able to make the offense simply function. Their schedule has been a little tougher so far. But, the numbers overall across the board are pretty similar like you charted. I don't know. I worry about their front 7. Our defense will need to duplicate the efforts in Baton Rouge, I think.

Nice. Yeah, Dungey is a factor for in the run game but, IMO, he runs way more than necessary. I know he needs to though to be able to make the offense simply function. Their schedule has been a little tougher so far. But, the numbers overall across the board are pretty similar like you charted. I don't know. I worry about their front 7. Our defense will need to duplicate the efforts in Baton Rouge, I think.

Agreed. The spot to attack will be their secondary - it will be critical to be have enough time to throw. I'd expect a ton of bootlegs from ED - away from Chubb... I don't think we'll run very often - maybe some WR's or a designed ED run to catch them off guard. 100% agree on our D needing to play like they did vs LSU. Hopefully our DB's can hang speed-wise with their WR.

Agreed. The spot to attack will be their secondary - it will be critical to be have enough time to throw. I'd expect a ton of bootlegs from ED - away from Chubb... I don't think we'll run very often - maybe some WR's or a designed ED run to catch them off guard. 100% agree on our D needing to play like they did vs LSU. Hopefully our DB's can hang speed-wise with their WR.

Yup, spot on. They are a good team. Probably more complete than LSU right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom