Gotta say im not too optimistic | Syracusefan.com

Gotta say im not too optimistic

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Usually I feel like we can make a deep run no matter what seed we are, but I'm very worried this year. This team lost "it", and I'm not sure we can get it back in time. I thought we did against fsu, and then nc state happened. Heart says we'll make 2nd weekend, but gut says we get bounced in 2nd round. And I fully expect a 1 possession game with 5 minutes left against western michigan.

I'm all in, but very cautiously doing it

CorduroyG said:
Usually I feel like we can make a deep run no matter what seed we are, but I'm very worried this year. This team lost "it", and I'm not sure we can get it back in time. I thought we did against fsu, and then nc state happened. Heart says we'll make 2nd weekend, but gut says we get bounced in 2nd round. And I fully expect a 1 possession game with 5 minutes left against western michigan. I'm all in, but very cautiously doing it
We will probably win by 16 and then a bunch of people will jump back on the bandwagon

AZOrange said:
We will probably win by 16 and then a bunch of people will jump back on the bandwagon

Including me lol

Same feeling I had last year. If we make it out of the first weekend we have a great chance at going to the Final 4. If we are playing better, Kansas and Florida dont scare me. We are easily on their level if we stop shooting the ball like its some foreign object we've never encountered before.

HoustonCuse said:
You don't sound all in! Bottom line: Cooney shoots 40% or better, we are going to the final four. Cooney shoots 30% or less, we are not getting out of Buffalo alive.

Now I'm even less optimistic!

Things like shooting tend to even out over time. We are very due to start making shots again. If we do it will give the guys confidence as well as make it easier to maintain the energy level at both ends. I believe they will and I think we will add a few hitches in the offense to get things going again. Nothing huge but some hick-up no one has seen us use this year. Its the NCAAT no matter how good you are you have to play well S16 and in to advance so the draw doesn't matter all that much this year since no one is head and shoulders above anyone else. The few teams I really didn't want to see we avoided anyways so play well on both ends, make shots and I think we are as good as any team out there.

People are looking at it all wrong. If we were cruising in with 5 losses but been 7-3 down the stretch and scoring well they would be all excited when in reality if that team comes out and struggles to score in an NCAAT game they would struggle to win or lose once you get to the S16. Saying we won't get far if we don't shoot well can be said for the hottest teams just as well as those that struggled down the stretch. Its a new season we could just as easily shoot 50% from the floor and win the NCAAT as continue to struggle and on offense. It isn't like our whole offensive slump has been about getting shots. Its been about missing them repeatedly and then pressing and struggling as the game progresses.

If we could have stole that NC State game, I'd be feeling a lot better. The win, combined with another big game with Duke (if they at least played well, even if they don't win), would have been a big confidence boost, which this team really needs.

If we could have stole that NC State game, I'd be feeling a lot better. The win, combined with another big game with Duke (if they at least played well, even if they don't win), would have been a big confidence boost, which this team really needs.

yup, i really thought we got our mojo back in the fsu game and it would carry over to the acc and ncaa tourny. people bring up last year but does anyone really think we would have made the f4 if we lost to seton hall in the 1st big east tourny game? very doubtful, we needed that big east tourny run to gain confidence and momentum. i felt like we needed a similar thing to happen in acc tourny.

Story on Syracuse.com yesterday or the day before made it sound like Cooney's ankle is not in great shape. I agree about shooting evening out over time, and I believe he is a much better shooter than we've seen recently, but between his confidence and being banged up it's hard to be optimistic that he turns it around this year. If nothing else, the ankle makes it even more difficult for him to get open. Just a guess but I think we're going to see more of G than we're used to.

Story on Syracuse.com yesterday or the day before made it sound like Cooney's ankle is not in great shape. I agree about shooting evening out over time, and I believe he is a much better shooter than we've seen recently, but between his confidence and being banged up it's hard to be optimistic that he turns it around this year. If nothing else, the ankle makes it even more difficult for him to get open. Just a guess but I think we're going to see more of G than we're used to.
Maybe being banged up will help him. It can't hurt

First half shooting woes + second half stumble on D did us in with the NC State game. We (and NCST) scored 38 each the second half.

If anything, shooting-wise we ended the game on an upswing (minus the last 20 seconds of desperation rebound/shots)

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps they make him rest a lot more and shoot less. Sometimes you just need a break so when you get back you remember you do it because you love it. I know golf is very much like this for me. When I am really enjoying playing I tend to concentrate much more on what I want to do and then let it happen. When I struggle I catch myself thinking about what I don't want to do which is a horrible swing thought. I think Trevor early in the season was concentrating much more on getting open and once open just letting it fly. He was thinking more along the lines of if I can just get a little space for my shot I'm good. Who knows what he's thinking now but I'd guess the way he isn't popping with no hesitation that its something different. This is all part of improving as a player though and I think going through an extended slump and coming out of it can be a great thing long term.

lol what a silly comment. I happen to think Cooney will be fine, but absolutely an injury "can hurt." It can make him play worse and be even less effective.

All the sweetest for me, as I win three pools with Syracuse winning, and everyone else picking Mich State. (I hope). Not to mention my billion dollar bracket FF picks of Harvard, Gonzaga, and Manhattan...

lol what a silly comment. I happen to think Cooney will be fine, but absolutely an injury "can hurt." It can make him play worse and be even less effective.

That...it a scary thought.

Look at his numbers lately. It would be hard to get worse. If the injury has his mind focus on his ankle rather than that million thoughts currently going through his head when he's shooting, it could certainly help

Look at his numbers lately. It would be hard to get worse. If the injury has his mind focus on his ankle rather than that million thoughts currently going through his head when he's shooting, it could certainly help
I don't necessarily mind the assertion that it "could help," although I disagree.

I do mind the assertion that it "couldn't hurt." If he can't run or elevate properly, he ain't gonna play better. Sorry.

Maybe he will think about his ankle instead of his shot and then bam they start falling. LOL. I can't imagine him being hindered a week later by that ankle turn. I was thinking it would help because they may make him rest and simply not shoot for a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom