granddaughter | Syracusefan.com

granddaughter

stuckinbig11

All American
My basketball-playing granddaughter, a high school senior, also competes in track and field. Last week, she tied for second place in the high jump at the conference meet but was bumped to fourth because she had more scratches at lower heights when she had to go across field to compete in the shotput. She beat her personal record throw by one foot and took first place in the shot. This week at the regionals, she beat her PR in the high jump by 2 inches and tied for second place but was bumped down to fifth due to scratches for hiking over to the shotput. She upped her PR in the shot by yet another foot but placed fifth by falling 3 inches short of fourth. Only 1-4 places go to the state meet, so she missed on both events. However, she is not upset because she likely would not place at the states. High jump and shotput are unusual events for the same person, but she is strong as well as agile.

They are definitely odd, and both require a lot of practice. Congrats to her for her continual improvement! It definitely is not easy!

Great for kids in the pentathalon or whatever the womens event is called. If you can run a little you have solid potential in events that gain pts.

Great for kids in the pentathalon or whatever the womens event is called. If you can run a little you have solid potential in events that gain pts.
At the conference meet, a coach from one of the other schools told her that she would be a good candidate for the heptatholon. She will be playing college basketball, so I don't think that will happen.

My basketball-playing granddaughter, a high school senior, also competes in track and field. Last week, she tied for second place in the high jump at the conference meet but was bumped to fourth because she had more scratches at lower heights when she had to go across field to compete in the shotput. She beat her personal record throw by one foot and took first place in the shot. This week at the regionals, she beat her PR in the high jump by 2 inches and tied for second place but was bumped down to fifth due to scratches for hiking over to the shotput. She upped her PR in the shot by yet another foot but placed fifth by falling 3 inches short of fourth. Only 1-4 places go to the state meet, so she missed on both events. However, she is not upset because she likely would not place at the states. High jump and shotput are unusual events for the same person, but she is strong as well as agile.
Awesome. Somebody passed on some good genes to their granddaugher!

I know you are in NC or at least I thought I remembered you are. Were you at Montreat on Sat.? My nephew ran there as a junior in the boys 1600, 800 and another event of which I can’t recall.
Glad she isn’t to bummed. It was a nice day for an event

I know you are in NC or at least I thought I remembered you are. Were you at Montreat on Sat.? My nephew ran there as a junior in the boys 1600, 800 and another event of which I can’t recall.
Glad she isn’t to bummed. It was a nice day for an event
I was not there; I was home in Asheville.

At the conference meet, a coach from one of the other schools told her that she would be a good candidate for the heptatholon. She will be playing college basketball, so I don't think that will happen.
Does she know where she will be playing in college?

First of all, congratulations to your granddaughter! Very impressive.

Now, she needs a competition for high jump while carrying a shot.

She had four offers and chose Randolph-Macon, Ashland, VA in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference. Not a biggie but a good coach. They were 13-5 in conference and 17-9 overall last year.

My cousin went to Randolph-Macon and had a great experience there. Hope your granddaughter has the same.

They have weird high jump rules there. When there is a tie you usually go to who had the most recent miss, not somebody that skipped a jump because they participated in another event. Sorry she got screwed over. She sounds like quite the athlete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom