Great day at SU ... | Syracusefan.com

Great day at SU ...

cto

Administrator
Today was inauguration of Kent Syverud as chancellor of SU. Great all-day celebration. US Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor (retired) was keynote speaker. Kent clerked for her 30 years ago, and she told great, funny stories about him. A featured event was an academic symposium this morning where Jim Boeheim was one of the eight panelists. Without question, he and George Saunders were by far the best panelists. All these "distinguished" academics read their contributions, but Jim and George spoke eloquently without a single note. I know Jim pretty well so I was not surprised. But other people were like "Oh wow."

Last edited:
Is it true that Syverud is thinking of moving SU to Toronto or Ottawa because of the lack of funding for a new stadium?

No, but at the inauguration lunch he said: "My brother is a joke teller, and he gave me one he said I had to tell today. He said I had to tell Jim Boeheim not to be surprised if I stay here for only one year... and then decide to go pro."

Everyone, including Jim, got a good laugh out of it.

Last edited:
No, but at the inauguration lunch he said: "My brother is a joke teller, and he gave me one he said I had to tell today. He told me I had to tell Jim Boeheim not to be surprised if I stay here for only one year... and then decide to go pro."

Everyone, including Jim, got a good laugh out of it.
that is pretty good.

not surprised that JB held his own either.

while basketball is certainly his calling, he can hold his own with the microphone as well as anyone in the COUNTRY.

he could probably give an interviewer 15 great minutes each on the Yankees, the NBA playoffs and the Masters with just a stream of conciousness.

George Saunders was my neighbor for years. He is a hilarious guy. Everyone should read him, and those who read him should try to catch him speak.

George Saunders was my neighbor for years. He is a hilarious guy. Everyone should read him, and those who read him should try to catch him speak.
Agree. He was my seat mate at the lunch, and I loved meeting him and spending an hour with him. An expanded version of his wonderful talk about "kindness" is coming out as a book later this month.

PS: Do yourself a favor. If you've never read this short talk, read it now.

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/george-saunderss-advice-to-graduates/

Last edited:
What were JBs thoughts on Grant? ;)

If someone asked him about Grant, I imagine his reaction would be similar to when Frost asked Nixon about Watergate.

Thought you were referring to the game at the Dome today were SU beat UNC 11-10 in double overtime in lacrosse. Now that was real excitement and a great day for SU.

Reactions: cto
Thought you were referring to the game at the Dome today were SU beat UNC 11-10 in double overtime in lacrosse. Now that was real excitement and a great day for SU.

Sorry. Guess I'm just a boring academic type. ;)

Last edited:
Joyce,

I was lucky enough to have a Creative Writing class with George Saunders during grad school, before he and Junot Diaz really took off.

A good teacher and an entertaining speaker. Can't wait to read his new book.

Never got to have Saunders (he teaches mostly Grad level MFA classes), but he was in my department and is an awesome guy and amazing writer. If anyone is a short story fan, go read his latest, Tenth of December.

A proponent of liberal arts? Good place to start.

A little surprised he didn't say anything specific about the hard sciences (though surely the research emphasis encompasses that), but I have high hopes for this administration. And those folks who have built up the veterans programs have gotten just what they wanted.

Well said Otto: I love the idea of continuing to find symbiosis with our military vets and federally paid for programming. Provides both a public service and promotes the university to the type of "unentitled, scrappy, engaged students," that Syverud called upon.

As we have discussed a lot, it will be interesting to see what the new Chancellor does with the city and his place as a voice for change or development.

Last night even Terrel & Coach Lea were talking positively about our new chancellor.