GRob's demise will be Shafer's | Syracusefan.com

GRob's demise will be Shafer's

Orijinal

All Conference
The lack of sound offensive line play. I'm truly surprised that no one seems to be getting this on the Hill. You don't have an offensive line, you don't have a team. Period.

Time to get really serious about the coaching influences on this unit. And it starts with some really tough decisions on the part of this coaching staff, and maybe from athletic administration.

Last edited:
The lack of sound offensive line play. I'm truly surprised that no one seems to be getting this on the Hill. You don't have an offensive line, you don't have a team. Period.

Time to get really serious about this unit. And it starts with some really tough decisions on the part of this coaching staff, and maybe from athletic administration.

If you're suggesting we hire an OL coach who has coached an OL in this lifetime, then I'd love to know where you're getting the money to pay for this magical human.

I don't think our OL was great, but considering everything, I don't it was terrible, either.

I urge you to rewatch the BC game. The starting unit, thought to be a strength, was totally ineffective.
One way to help a struggling OL is to have a QB who knows when to tuck and run. Long does not possess that ability, unfortunately.

So we should just have a QB that runs for his life when needed and we'll be fine? Didn't work out so well this year. The line could not get 3 yards on any run between the tackles, and then we resorted to the option where occasionally we could get 2-3 yards, or gain nothing.

BC consistently blew us up on 3rd and long. Could not handle a blitz at all. NC State just blew us up. If we keep saying we just need better skill players to make all this better, we are not getting the point.

Syracuse would be better off having little talent at the skill positions and great o line play to make everyone else look good. AJ Long can move but he can't escape every blitz that gets through and Hunt broke his leg because 3 guys punched right through the line and swamped him.

Time to get really serious about this unit. And it starts with some really tough decisions on the part of this coaching staff, and maybe from athletic administration.
No, it doesn't, and that's the problem. We are not well coached at that position, therefore the position coach is not adequate and the OC did not use our relative strengths and weaknesses effectively. Both the OCs (Lester/McD) need to go (well at least not be OC) and the OL coach (Joe Adam) needs to be replaced. Period.

Orijinal said:
So we should just have a QB that runs for his life when needed and we'll be fine? Didn't work out so well this year. The line could not get 3 yards on any run between the tackles, and then we resorted to the option where occasionally we could get 2-3 yards, or gain nothing. BC consistently blew us up on 3rd and long. Could not handle a blitz at all. NC State just blew us up. If we keep saying we just need better skill players to make all this better, we are not getting the point. Syracuse would be better off having little talent at the skill positions and great o line play to make everyone else look good. AJ Long can move but he can't escape every blitz that gets through and Hunt broke his leg because 3 guys punched right through the line and swamped him.

Their Oline was all seniors, thought to be a strength and we blew them up all game on 3rd down.

No, it doesn't, and that's the problem. We are not well coached at that position, therefore the position coach is not adequate and the OC did not use our relative strengths and weaknesses effectively. Both the OCs (Lester/McD) need to go (well at least not be OC) and the OL coach (Joe Adam) needs to be replaced. Period.
Actually, that's what I meant. I need to edit that statement: "Time to get really serious about the coaching influences on this unit." My apologies. I want to be very clear about this

It would be easier to judge the OL as a whole if they started more than 2 out of 12 games together. That being said, Adam was kind of a strange hire from the start.

I came here because I read something about Shafer's demise and got excited. Sadly, he is still our coach. False advertising.

Our offensive line has been a strength the past 2 seasons. Hickey, Trudo, and Foy have each started for 3 years. Robinson has started for 2. All a sudden they got worse? I don't think so. Joe Adam needs to go.

I urge you to rewatch the BC game. The starting unit, thought to be a strength, was totally ineffective.

I think that was the thing that really discourages SU fans. All season long it was "Wait for the bye week- we'll heal up, get people back and then we'll be OK." It didn't happen and we were worse than ever.

Our offensive line has been a strength the past 2 seasons. Hickey, Trudo, and Foy have each started for 3 years. Robinson has started for 2. All a sudden they got worse? I don't think so. Joe Adam needs to go.
Totally agree, totally agree and totally agree!!