Guard play | Syracusefan.com

Guard play

DonLightfoot

All Conference
Exhibition games really don't mean a lot, but I liked what I saw from these four dudes in the two games.

Howard - He can still pass the rock and his shooting looks much improved. Driving better to the hoop as well.
White - He shot lights out tonight.
Gillon - I'm seeing a lot more than I ever expected.
Battle - From what I've seen so far this guy is the "real deal".

I'm anxious to see how they perform against some "true" higher caliber teams as we get deeper into the non conference schedule.

Offensively, I have been happy with FH's shooting and disappointed in his passing. He's not at last year's level on that right now. Gillon can do anything he wants against the competition we've seen so far. White's stroke looks incredible but his ball handling is about as suspect as we have heard. Battle is all world.

Defensively they are turrble though as a group. I'm sure the zone will improve but right now it is about a D-.

Offensively, I have been happy with FH's shooting and disappointed in his passing. He's not at last year's level on that right now. Gillon can do anything he wants against the competition we've seen so far. White's stroke looks incredible but his ball handling is about as suspect as we have heard. Battle is all world.

Defensively they are turrble though as a group. I'm sure the zone will improve but right now it is about a D-.

Howard had one terrific pass threading the needle to Lydon in the low post for a flush. But I agree Howard needs more assists but I do like his shooting and driving to the rim. We need good offensive play from all our guards to be successful. No team in CBB wins a NC without having excellent guard play. Gillon's burst of scoring was really good.

Battle so far this season is lights out from 3. That is going to change the way we look at this team. And White was sensational!!

Howard had one terrific pass threading the needle to Lydon in the low post for a flush. But I agree Howard needs more assists but I do like his shooting and driving to the rim. We need good offensive play from all our guards to be successful. No team in CBB wins a NC without having excellent guard play. Gillon's burst of scoring was really good.

Battle so far this season is lights out from 3. That is going to change the way we look at this team. And White was sensational!!

"More assists"?

Frankie had SEVEN dimes and ONE turnover.

In limited minutes.

Passing doesn't get much better than that.

Oh, and 11 points too.

"More assists"?

Frankie had SEVEN dimes and ONE turnover.

In limited minutes.

Passing doesn't get much better than that.

Oh, and 11 points too.

Let's also remember, a players # of assists is 100% predicated on the number of shots that are made off that pass (duh!). It's one possession, but IIRC Howard made a nice pass to Lydon in the first half, whose 3-point attempt rattled in and out. C'est la vie.
I feel really good knowing that Frank Howard is going to be a big part of this program for the next three years.

... We need good offensive play from all our guards to be successful. No team in CBB wins a NC without having excellent guard play. Gillon's burst of scoring was really good.

Yes, and we have that combination of two perimeter players who are nearly finished products (Gillon & White) and two who are talented but also likely to improve by March (Howard & Battle).

SU94 said:
Let's also remember, a players # of assists is 100% predicated on the number of shots that are made off that pass (duh!). It's one possession, but IIRC Howard made a nice pass to Lydon in the first half, whose 3-point attempt rattled in and out. C'est la vie.
I feel really good knowing that Frank Howard is going to be a big part of this program for the next three years.

Yeah, if guys are hitting outside shots, there are lots of easy, unremarkable assists. I think Frank is going to drive and kick to shooters very well this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom