Guerrier | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Guerrier

I think this teams trajectory will depend a lot on Guerrier as he is the one elite inside guy (he's not there yet but will be) that this team has who can balance out our plethora of shooters on the outside especially when they are off. It's a lot ask of a Freshmen but at this point he is the only real guy unless Braswell is somehow going to get some run, which seems impractical at this point. He's going to have some growing pains to go through but this team will need him because when the 3's aren't falling from Buddy and co, we need that scoring to come from somewhere else. Marek did a nice job in the second half but he's never really been an aggressive scorer and its hard to really rely on him against upper echelon teams as he has a habit of going MIA. As frustrating as Oshae was his 2 years here, its bad he didn't come back for his JR year, I think he would have fit in well with this squad although the PT for Guerrier would have really been affected.
Good post.

I agree that Guerrier's development and inside presence will be one of the key factors to the success of this team. He has to be even more aggressive at both ends of the floor.

I wonder if JB has thought about getting him a few minutes at the 5 from time to time, instead of always rotating in at the 3-4. I like having Marek on the floor for his intangibles and because he seems to have the best instincts on the team in terms of grabbing a board and initiating the fast break. We have to score more in transition.

Good post.

I agree that Guerrier's development and inside presence will be one of the key factors to the success of this team. He has to be even more aggressive at both ends of the floor.

I wonder if JB has thought about getting him a few minutes at the 5 from time to time, instead of always rotating in at the 3-4. I like having Marek on the floor for his intangibles and because he seems to have the best instincts on the team in terms of grabbing a board and initiating the fast break. We have to score more in transition.

I think in a pinch he could play him there if Sidibe and Marek were both in major foul trouble or had fouled out. That said I don' think JB would put him there as he is still learning how to play the 4 and you can tell it's definitely a learning curve right now being a true frosh at the D1 level. Asking him to also play and learn the 5 position is probably something the staff would rather avoid if at all possible. I think he definitely does give you some versatility to play anywhere from the 3-5 if needed. Playing him at the 4 with Marek at the 5 and Hughes at the 3 is probably our best rebounding lineup. If Buddy was struggling or in foul trouble I woudl be interested to see a lineup that has SIdibe at the 5, Dolezaj at the 4 Guerrier at the 3 with Girard and Hughes in the backcourt.

I think in a pinch he could play him there if Sidibe and Marek were both in major foul trouble or had fouled out. That said I don' think JB would put him there as he is still learning how to play the 4 and you can tell it's definitely a learning curve right now being a true frosh at the D1 level. Asking him to also play and learn the 5 position is probably something the staff would rather avoid if at all possible. I think he definitely does give you some versatility to play anywhere from the 3-5 if needed. Playing him at the 4 with Marek at the 5 and Hughes at the 3 is probably our best rebounding lineup. If Buddy was struggling or in foul trouble I woudl be interested to see a lineup that has SIdibe at the 5, Dolezaj at the 4 Guerrier at the 3 with Girard and Hughes in the backcourt.
Those are all good points, especially the learning curve in the zone. I was looking at it more from the perspective of getting QG a few more minutes by, as you said, taking advantage of his versatility.

Jimmy JR. really exposed our front-line last night. Marek fouled out and Sidibe had 4, so Guerrier and another front-line player will have to step up for this team to have a successful season.

The freshmen in the first half were -8 in around 4 mins of play. It took to about the 8min mark in the second half to regain control of the game. Not good.

We will need 8 to play and well to complete in the ACC this year, 7 if Hughes plays some guard. If he does I think it will be the 1 not the 2. He is the only player who can attack off the bounce, and is a good passer so space the floor with shooters and let him do his thing.

If Hughes play some guard than Goodine and Howard won't play much at all. Guerrier and either Braswell or Edwards will have to play at a minimum.

This team will either play well as a team or they will lose a lot of games.

Last edited:
It would be surprising if you did
I distinctly remember you getting all whacked out over me having the temerity to post a picture of the facially impaired speaker of the 110th congress on the basketball board. What’s changed?
Your insults have remained consistent, I will give you that.

I distinctly remember you getting all whacked out over me having the temerity to post a picture of the facially impaired speaker of the 110th congress on the basketball board. What’s changed?
Your insults have remained consistent, I will give you that.
Why thank you. You have been consistent as well. I will let others determine if that is positive. Now to this tripe. You might notice that I didn't post the picture as you did. It would have been rude of me not to respond to the person that messaged me.

He wasn't in their league as bad. the blocking call on Hawkins against Michael Adams at B.C. notwithstanding.
That call on Hawkins is right up there with the all time bad calls. Paparo was also the ref who ejected Michael Graham in the BE final with G"town for throwing a punch, and then "reversed" the call. I've heard from several refs that the NCAA used tapes of the Hawkin's call to train referees on what not to do.

That call on Hawkins is right up there with the all time bad calls. Paparo was also the ref who ejected Michael Graham in the BE final with G"town for throwing a punch, and then "reversed" the call. I've heard from several refs that the NCAA used tapes of the Hawkin's call to train referees on what not to do.
Hank Nichols, the best ref in the country, was standing right there and had no call. Paparo ran from the baseline to make the call in front of Nichols. It reminded me of that jerk that called Cooney out of bounds against the Zags.

He had a fairly valid and encouraging explanation for his three point struggles to date. He’s taking a lot of what JB’s critiqued from him and has tried to apply it. Can really see the coachability of this kid.
The one thing that he seems to have learned, is that it’s better to work his game from the inside out. Get a couple of easy buckets, get some rebounds...and once you prove you can get to the hole, it’s amazing how much more space you get to shoot.

Needs to play more. Plain and simple. Sometimes its ok to play your son a tad bit less, and this kid a tad bit more. Hughes can play some minutes at the 2.
He leads the team in scoring per 40 minutes, is the only guy getting to the free throw line with any frequency, and is among the teams better rebounders. He will be needed on a team that looks to be dependent on the deep ball offensively.

i think he is in the perfect spot as the sixth man, able to sub in for either marek or bourama. doesn't have the pressure of starting, gets to see the flow of the game, and really gives the other team a sudden change in attack to which they have to adjust. i like all 3 in rotation as they all bring different things to the table and they have all been performing well.

throwing out the uva game (i know, i know), here are their per 32 minutes stats:
q 20.2 pts, 9.7 rebs
boo 10.4 pts, 10.0 rebs
marek 10.8 pts, 4.7 rebs, 2.4 assists

quincy gets to the line a lot, which i love. boo is finishing at a very high percentage, which i also love. marek has the vision to be a point forward/point center. it has the potential to be a great rotation.

I've had a feeling for a while now that Guerrier could be part of what is eventually SU's best lineup. I have my doubts about the Orange defensive interior, and think at some point SU could run with Girard-Boeheim-Hughes-Guerrier-Dolezaj in a small (but technically kinda big) lineup that just runs up and down the court and has great spacing.

If Guerrier and Dolezaj are aggressive setting screens and get better shooting the ball, that kind of lineup would be insanely hard to defend. Sometimes you just live with what you get on defense and play to your strength instead.

i think he is in the perfect spot as the sixth man, able to sub in for either marek or bourama. doesn't have the pressure of starting, gets to see the flow of the game, and really gives the other team a sudden change in attack to which they have to adjust. i like all 3 in rotation as they all bring different things to the table and they have all been performing well.

throwing out the uva game (i know, i know), here are their per 32 minutes stats:
q 20.2 pts, 9.7 rebs
boo 10.4 pts, 10.0 rebs
marek 10.8 pts, 4.7 rebs, 2.4 assists

quincy gets to the line a lot, which i love. boo is finishing at a very high percentage, which i also love. marek has the vision to be a point forward/point center. it has the potential to be a great rotation.
Don't forget the 18 ft attempts for guerrier the last 2 :p

I like Guerrier as a last option for this offense, in the sense that if all the action we run to free up shooters doesn't work out in a given possession, we toss it to Guerrier to face-up and take a big man off the dribble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom