Gutierrez no longer covering the Orange | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gutierrez no longer covering the Orange

I’m assuming we end up with no dedicated reporter there. Athletic struggling and was rumored to be in merger talks with a few companies and SPACs. They’re probably trimming costs and a dedicated reporter for certain schools doesn’t make economic sense. Too bad - it was a nice feature to have more Syracuse coverage in the athletic, which has a good mix of coverage. I know folks didn’t like him but this is a loss for coverage if he isn’t replaced.
I will be unsubscribing if they don’t have a writer covering Syracuse. I thought the Athletic was doing well and really liked their SU coverage, and I thought their goal was to have a focus on college sports coverage.

Last edited:
the sad thing is that you actually believe this. The pats press is the worst. That the coach is allowed to say things like we are on to Cinn. is so unprofessional. That there is still no answer to why Butler didn't start or really play in a Super Bowl is just crazy. The Pats press kiss Bill's ass. And if someone dare ask a tough question, they are biased. The Pats are never forced to answer any question. Tough or not.
You couldn’t be more wrong.
Not worth saying more.

The next time Belichick comments on a media members height who is covering the team I’ll let you know.

You couldn’t be more wrong.
Not worth saying more.
you are just so sensitive to anything said about the Pats. The Boston media kisses their @ss. Bill should never be allowed to get away with the press conferences. They just laugh it off. LOL oh Bill. Why didn't Butler play in the Super Bowl Bill? Coaches decision. Played the guys we wanted to play. Oh, okay. Total nonsense. One BJ after another from the Boston press.
Jimmy is a jerk for doing that. No one disagrees with that. Pointless statement. The next time he actually answers a question, I'll let you know.

you are just so sensitive to anything said about the Pats. The Boston media kisses their @ss. Bill should never be allowed to get away with the press conferences. They just laugh it off. LOL oh Bill. Why didn't Butler play in the Super Bowl Bill? Coaches decision. Played the guys we wanted to play. Oh, okay. Total nonsense. one BJ after another from the Boston press.
If the Patriots deserved tough coverage I would give it to them.
The team gave fans first class fandom for 20 years and all the media in the region do is complain.
Fans don’t give a chit Belichcik is mean to the media.
The media are garbage wbo only care about making their brands bigger so they can get hits on other media platforms.
Mike Reiss and Jeff Howe are the only media who are fair. Who don’t have agendas.
I hate the Boston Globe because John W. Henry is a vindicative jealous ahole.
He is jealous of the Patriots success and the Red Sox not being the Patriots.
Too bad Bob Kraft is a star bleeper who doesn’t give a chit to have his fans backs and is more interested in happy endings.
The Boston media is beyond toxic and the Patriots coverage blows.

You won’t admit it. You aren’t a fan of the team. You aren’t objective on the Coverage. Almost a Coach Bedard, Ben Volin, Evan Lazar, Karen Gurhigian, the list guys on all they do is troll.
Fans don’t give a chit Belichick isn’t Jeff Fisher and give the media information.

Wins and losses are what they care about.
Belichick doesn’t go Jim Boeheim and publicly rip media who openly question him god forbid. Belichick snorts into the microphone takes a long pause and says nothing.

What Ben volin did last week with competely taking Belichick’s
Comments on the vaccine out of context was a bleeping joke.
Belichick was not skeptical of the vaccine at all like volin said. He said that players who get the vaccine have tested positive. Volin totally took belichick’s comments out of context and made it seem like he was skeptical of the vaccine.
Fans hate chit and that is what patriots beat do all the time. While they ignore a cluster outbreak for the Red Sox when John Henry has the media on his you know what’s.

If the Patriots deserved tough coverage I would give it to them.
The team gave fans first class fandom for 20 years and all the media in the region do is complain.
Fans don’t give a chit Belichcik is mean to the media.
The media are garbage wbo only care about making their brands bigger so they can get hits on other media platforms.
Mike Reiss and Jeff Howe are the only media who are fair. Who don’t have agendas.
I hate the Boston Globe because John W. Henry is a vindicative jealous ahole.
He is jealous of the Patriots success and the Red Sox not being the Patriots.
Too bad Bob Kraft is a star bleeper who doesn’t give a chit to have his fans backs and is more interested in happy endings.
The Boston media is beyond toxic and the Patriots coverage blows.

You won’t admit it. You aren’t a fan of the team. You aren’t objective on the Coverage. Almost a Coach Bedard, Ben Volin, Evan Lazar, Karen Gurhigian, the list guys on all they do is troll.
Fans don’t give a chit Belichick isn’t Jeff Fisher and give the media information.

Wins and losses are what they care about.
Belichick doesn’t go Jim Boeheim and publicly rip media who openly question him god forbid. Belichick snorts into the microphone takes a long pause and says nothing.

What Ben volin did last week with competely taking Belichick’s
Comments on the vaccine out of context was a bleeping joke.
Belichick was not skeptical of the vaccine at all like volin said. He said that players who get the vaccine have tested positive. Volin totally took belichick’s comments out of context and made it seem like he was skeptical of the vaccine.
Fans hate chit and that is what patriots beat do all the time. While they ignore a cluster outbreak for the Red Sox when John Henry has the media on his you know what
So, the bottom line for you is that because the Pats win, they should get soft coverage. That is nonsense. And to make matters worse, they do get soft coverage and you just don't or refuse to see it. The Pats are always the victims.
And why you bring Jim Boeheim in to this, I have no idea. I have never defended the way Jim treats the local press. Straw man.

Ditto. It's fair to gripe about Matt's work (I personally enjoyed it), but at least he was producing Cuse-dedicated content.
His value showed- for me anyway - when he got scooped by his peers on the Q situation. May not have been directly his beat but was certainly his neighborhood. I question why they kept him on at all.

Last edited:
So, the bottom line for you is that because the Pats win, they should get soft coverage. That is nonsense. And to make matters worse, they do get soft coverage and you just don't or refuse to see it. The Pats are always the victims.
And why you bring Jim Boeheim in to this, I have no idea. I have never defended the way Jim treats the local press. Straw man.
Soft coverage? How about not troll coverage.
You completely ignored the Volin stuff.
It’s chit like he does that is my point.
They don’t get fair coverage. The coverage is over the top bullchit when the organization knows what the hell they are doing.

If Jim Boeheim was winning like Belichick then I would say Gutierrez should shut up. We don’t and what he says is fair game.

Soft coverage? How about not troll coverage.
You completely ignored the Volin stuff.
It’s chit like he does that is my point.
They don’t get fair coverage. The coverage is over the top bullchit when the organization knows what the hell they are doing.

If Jim Boeheim was winning like Belichick then I would say Gutierrez should shut up. We don’t and what he says is fair game.
I couldn't disagree more with anything you just said. How well the team is doing has zero do with the reporting it should get. The pats get the softest reporting of any team I have ever seen. The reporters covering the team are more fans than reporters. And the few that aren't, are attacked as haters.
The idea that what a reporters says or doesn't say is fair game depending on how the team is doing is ridiculous. They aren't suppose to be cheerleaders for the programs. the Pats have Stacy James for that. The Orange have PR people for that. Reporters should seek the truth. As a fan, when the team is winning, you just want to hear good things. That is fair. But it isn't the job or a journalist, When the Post Standard went after the Orange back in 1991, and really hurt the Orange with their out of bounds series. I was upset. But not with the Post Standard for going after a story.

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more with anything you just said. How well the team is doing has zero do with the reporting it should get. The pats get the softest reporting of any team I have ever seen. The reporters covering the team are more fans than reporters. And the few that aren't, are attacked as haters.
This is insane. Who are the reporters?
Tom Curran has gone full heel for TV.
Volin, Bedard, Gurhigian, Curran, Shank, Hart, Perilla, Hannabile.
Who are you talking about?
All these people do is troll and you call them fans.
The idea you think they are soft is insane.
Reiss and Howe are the only ones who aren’t troll and they are critical when appropriate.
I am not even bringing up radio where Felger&Mazz who are basically Rush Limbaugh in the market always troll and as does the entire 98.5 the Sports Klan.

What Volin did last week was garbage. That isn’t about soft coverage that is the textbook disingenuous crap he does all the time and he got away with it.

This is insane. Who are the reporters?
Tom Curran has gone full heel for TV.
Volin, Bedard, Gurhigian, Curran, Shank, Hart, Perilla, Hannabile.
Who are you talking about?
All these people do is troll and you call them fans.
The idea you think they are soft is insane.
Reiss and Howe are the only ones who aren’t troll and they are critical when appropriate.
I am not even bringing up radio where Felger&Mazz who are basically Rush Limbaugh in the market always troll and as does the entire 98.5 the Sports Klan.
Tom Curran is a heel to the Pats? Good God. he and the rest, root for the team more than you do. And lets not bring Felger and Mazz in to this. They are a joke. As for the entire 98.6 Klan, does that mean you are including Scott Zolak?

i'm glad to see matt landed on his feet within a good corporate structure, but i'm equally glad he's no longer covering the team.

i canceled my athletic subscription over him and made sure to mention as such

1) the pissing match he got into with boeheim was reprehensible journalistically. he made himself a part of the story (works for hunter thompson, not beat reporters) and cried about it on twitter constantly. his whining brought the nerd beat brigade to his defense which was frankly embarrassing.

"boeheim is mean to journalists" they tweeted, which is true, but also not new, and frankly not outside the spectrum of professionalism you expect someone to act within as a professional. i've interviewed people professionally, sometimes you get told to f off, that's part of the job.

2) he wrote us off to the NIT - at best, if i recall his words correctly - in Feb of 2020. horribly ignorant, clickbaity, and overly pessimistic.

3) he was paid to write about the football team and maybe did five times

4) his basketball recruiting posts were literally just summarizations of talking points on this board

suffering through his garbage all last season, i can't help but feel like JB was totally right to trash him. the kid was completely unprofessional and high off the supply of his own gas. the writing was sterile, the perspective was overly negative, and i'm honestly surprised the athletic reassigned him instead of just canning him totally.

there's an in-between which lies in the middle of attacking journalists in a Trump-esque way, and accepting anything one reads on twitter as fact because they work for a place and have a blue check by their name.

corporate media has created a structure in which reporters are now public figures in the same way those they report on are, and it's trash. we need to expect more out of our news providers without personally attacking them and accepting they will make mistakes.

in matt's case, it was over as soon as JB called him out in a presser, and quite frankly we're better off.

Outside of little tidbits, his articles were not that good. He had not placed an Syracuse article in 18 days and there was a slight gap before that.

The reporters covering the team are more fans than reporters. And the few that aren't, are attacked as haters.
The idea that what a reporters says or doesn't say is fair game depending on how the team is doing is ridiculous. They aren't suppose to be cheerleaders for the programs. the Pats have Stacy James for that. The Orange have PR people for that. Reporters should seek the truth.
there is a large difference between what you’re describing and leveraging the influence of your peers to make the tiff youre in with the subject of your reporting a national news story.

newhouse guys I deserve the hole youre gonna tear in me for those prepositional phrases

Tom Curran is a heel to the Pats? Good God. he and the rest, root for the team more than you do. And lets not bring Felger and Mazz in to this. They are a joke. As for the entire 98.6 Klan, does that mean you are including Scott Zolak?
Yes If Kraft gave a chit Zolak gets fired.
The Sports Klan is racist. They get away a lot of crap.
If you think Curran isn’t a troll I can’t even bother. I mean wow you don’t pay attention if you think Curran isn’t anything but a wrestling heel trolling Patriots fans. He does it to stay relevant on TV he sold out for H0T Takes years ago.

I am done on the topic as I respect this moderator who asked for it to go back to Gutierrez.

there is a large difference between what you’re describing and leveraging the influence of your peers to make the tiff youre in with the subject of your reporting a national news story.
Aka what Ben Volin did last week that he ignores.

Yes If Kraft gave a chit Zolak gets fired.
The Sports Klan is racist. They get away a lot of crap.
If you think Curran isn’t a troll I can’t even bother. I mean wow you don’t pay attention if you think Curran isn’t anything but a wrestling heel trolling Patriots fans. He does it to stay relevant on TV he sold out for H0T Takes years ago.

I am done on the topic as I respect this moderator who asked for it to go back to Gutierrez.
SMH So is the Boston media against the Bruins, the Celtics and the Red Sox? Or only the team you are passionate about?

SMH So is the Boston media against the Bruins, the Celtics and the Red Sox? Or only the team you are passionate about?
You are a smart guy which is why I don’t get this.
You know the Celtics don’t get troll coverage.
You know the Red Sox don’t get troll coverage.
You know the Bruins don’t get troll coverage.

Those fanbases don’t have Greg Bedard, Ben volin and the list that goes on covering the Patriots.

Who is the Rob Bradford or Pete Abraham covering the Patriots?

I like the Matt Gutierrez of the world.
They don’t troll. They cover their sports hard and fair for the fans.
Mike Waters is harder on SU basketball than Rob bradford or Pete Abe and Waters actually needs access to the program unlike Those baseball guys.

You are a smart guy which is why I don’t get this.
You know the Celtics don’t get troll coverage.
You know the Red Sox don’t get troll coverage.
You know the Bruins don’t get troll coverage.

Those fanbases don’t have Greg Bedard, Ben volin and the list that goes on covering the Patriots.

Who is the Rob Bradford or Pete Abraham covering the Patriots?

I like the Matt Gutierrez of the world.
They don’t troll. They cover their sports hard and fair for the fans.
Mike Waters is harder on SU basketball than Rob bradford or Pete Abe and Waters actually needs access to the program unlike Those baseball guys.
When you read things about those teams, you read them with a less critical eye because you don't love those teams. The pats are like your kids. Maybe you see Tom E Curren, who loves the Pats more than you, as being critical is that last year, they weren't as good. There was more to not like. And not for nothing, no one that is a fan of a team should cover them.

i'm glad to see matt landed on his feet within a good corporate structure, but i'm equally glad he's no longer covering the team.

i canceled my athletic subscription over him and made sure to mention as such

1) the pissing match he got into with boeheim was reprehensible journalistically. he made himself a part of the story (works for hunter thompson, not beat reporters) and cried about it on twitter constantly. his whining brought the nerd beat brigade to his defense which was frankly embarrassing.

"boeheim is mean to journalists" they tweeted, which is true, but also not new, and frankly not outside the spectrum of professionalism you expect someone to act within as a professional. i've interviewed people professionally, sometimes you get told to f off, that's part of the job.

2) he wrote us off to the NIT - at best, if i recall his words correctly - in Feb of 2020. horribly ignorant, clickbaity, and overly pessimistic.

3) he was paid to write about the football team and maybe did five times

4) his basketball recruiting posts were literally just summarizations of talking points on this board

suffering through his garbage all last season, i can't help but feel like JB was totally right to trash him. the kid was completely unprofessional and high off the supply of his own gas. the writing was sterile, the perspective was overly negative, and i'm honestly surprised the athletic reassigned him instead of just canning him totally.

there's an in-between which lies in the middle of attacking journalists in a Trump-esque way, and accepting anything one reads on twitter as fact because they work for a place and have a blue check by their name.

corporate media has created a structure in which reporters are now public figures in the same way those they report on are, and it's trash. we need to expect more out of our news providers without personally attacking them and accepting they will make mistakes.

in matt's case, it was over as soon as JB called him out in a presser, and quite frankly we're better off.
Couldn't possibly like or love this more. I too cancelled my sub for the exact same reason and was sure to say so.

He struck me as a guy who would use his salary to have a special space- suit constructed with a tube that runs from his ass to a mask on his face so he could always enjoy the smell of his own farts.

Well at least we have figured where the tide turned against Syracuse sports and rooted it out.

Good job.

Patriots Twitter already hates the guy.
They see another Ben Volin brewing. As he is a Chiefs fan from Missouri I have read.

Oh great we got another Volin. This sucks. Can’t get coverage like the Red Sox beat where all they do is kiss up to management. Volin is literally the worst. I just hope this guy doesn’t go full troll.
He was perfectly fine as a Bills reporter the last few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom