Guys! B-b-b-but... | Syracusefan.com

Guys! B-b-b-but...

SUinNYC

2nd String
Sure we only won 3 games, BUT Shafer has POOL PARTIES!!! At his HOUSE! He's a PLAYER'S COACH and they love PLAYING HARD for him!

Ugh. Kill me. Can't wait for this clown to be gone.

FWIW--I rarely post, but I've seen enough. Tired of the meathead. His act has worn thin.

Sure we only won 3 games, BUT Shafer has POOL PARTIES!!! At his HOUSE! He's a PLAYER'S COACH and they love PLAYING HARD for him!

Ugh. Kill me. Can't wait for this clown to be gone.

FWIW--I rarely post, but I've seen enough. Tired of the meathead. His act has worn thin.
It's too bad you rarely post. Posts like this one add a lot. First, he may or may not be a good head coach. But he is no clown.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a players' coach, so let's just squash that now.

Has he said some ridiculously ill-timed things at post-game pressers? Yup.

His biggest job right now is making sure the right guys are in place to run an effective offense.

The defense is fine and when it has looked its weakest has come during games when the offense couldn't give them a breather.

My patience is running thin with Shafer mainly because of his hiring pattern, but the fact he is a players' coach does not matter one bit to me.

Results. Results. Results.

I want a coach that represents the premier university I attended. I really hope the Chancellor ups the admissions standards. Hopefully that applies to coaches as well. Because this getting out coached every week thing is getting embarrassing. I'm tired of bluster being held up as coaching competency.

But if any of you want to defend his record. Please. I will wait.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a players' coach, so let's just squash that now.

His biggest job right now is making sure the right guys are in place to run an effective offense.

The defense is fine and when it has looked its weakest has come during games when the offense couldn't give them a breather.

My patience is running thin with Shafer mainly because of his hiring pattern, but the fact he is a players' coach does not matter one bit to me.

Nailed it. He needs to make the tough decision as far as the offense.

Results. Results. Results.

I want a coach that represents the premier university I attended. I really hope the Chancellor ups the admissions standards. Hopefully that applies to coaches as well. Because this getting out coached every week thing is getting embarrassing. I'm tired of bluster being held up as coaching competency.

But if any of you want to defend his record. Please. I will wait.

Premier university? Syracuse is a very good school, but not premier. C'mon now.

Further, if we up the admissions standards, that makes recruiting that much harder. Just saying.

qdawgg said:
Nailed it. He needs to make the tough decision as far as the offense.
Rocco has a point about players' coaches and in my frustration I may have chosen the wrong angle. My issue with Shafer is intelligence pure and simple. I don't think he is a smart man. And if he is, his teams do not reflect that. I'm tired of stupid football. And I fear we have ourselves a stupid football coach.

Rocco said:
Premier university? Syracuse is a very good school, but not premier. C'mon now. Further, if we up the admissions standards, that makes recruiting that much harder. Just saying.
Obviously you didn't go to Newhouse, just saying...

Obviously you didn't go to Newhouse, just saying...
That opens up a whole other can of worms. The dean of Newhouse is running that place into the ground.

Premier university? Syracuse is a very good school, but not premier. C'mon now.

Further, if we up the admissions standards, that makes recruiting that much harder. Just saying.

Maxwell.

Newhouse.

School of Performing Arts/Bandier Program(!!!!).

School of Fine Arts.

There are components of the University that are certainly premier.

Rocco has a point about players' coaches and in my frustration I may have chosen the wrong angle. My issue with Shafer is intelligence pure and simple. I don't think he is a smart man. And if he is, his teams do not reflect that. I'm tired of stupid football. And I fear we have ourselves a stupid football coach.

Aside from his decisions to punt inside the 50, how can you possibly judge someones intelligence through a TV set? He may or may not be up for the job - but questioning the mans intelligence is kind of lame.

Agreed. And the challenge will be whether or not Shafer is willing to let some of his friends in order for the offensive production to improve. I'm not sure that he will. I'm also not sure that he won't. But in my opinion, that will be the determinant of whether he ultimately is successful here or whether he gets canned. Things are fine on the defensive side of the ball. Our offense is in shambles. Shafer [despite being a collegiate QB] is not an offensive guy. So he needs to bring somebody [and likely multiple coaches] in who can fix what's broken on that side of the ball Or he'll likely end up being fired in the near term.

Simple as that.

Agreed. And the challenge will be whether or not Shafer is willing to let some of his friends in order for the offensive production to improve. I'm not sure that he will. I'm also not sure that he won't. But in my opinion, that will be the determinant of whether he ultimately is successful here or whether he gets canned. Things are fine on the defensive side of the ball. Our offense is in shambles. Shafer [despite being a collegiate QB] is not an offensive guy. So he needs to bring somebody [and likely multiple coaches] in who can fix what's broken on that side of the ball Or he'll likely end up being fired in the near term.

Simple as that.
Uh, George McDonald? Doesn't that answer the question?

Uh, George McDonald? Doesn't that answer the question?

Uh, what does that have to do with my post? He was demoted, not fired despite what some would like to pretend.

McDonald was a good gamble, for the recruiting prowess. It clearly didn't pan out, and he was swiftly removed. The funny thing is, whether that was a "good" thing as many of you wanted to believe at the time is actually debateable, as Lester's stint soundly debunked the myth that merely changing the play calling and tempo would make a big difference in terms of offensive production. Our offense was putrid regardless of who was at the helm. Look up the number of touchdowns we scored this season, and that let that number sink in.

All of which begs the question: systemically, what are we doing on the offensive side of the ball? Does Shafer even have a strategic concept, or is he flinging stuff at the wall in hopes that something works out?

If we don't make wholesale coaching changes on that side of the ball, then Shafer won't be here for much longer.

Last edited:
Crusty said:
You are the clown. Shafer is a good man and a very good defensive cocordinator. If he fails as a HC, he fails, but that does not make him a clown.
Don't give a hoot about his "goodness". I only care about his record. He's in over his head and in my opinion is a clown. Looking forward to hearing more about his opinions on ISIS.

Uh, what does that have to do with my post? He was demoted, not fired despite what some would like to pretend.

McDonald was a good gamble, for the recruiting prowess. It didn't pan out. And I'd say that the Lester track record debunked the myth that merely changing the play calling and tempo would make a big difference in terms of offensive production. Our offense was putrid regardless of who was at the helm. Look up the number of touchdowns we scored this season, and that let that number sink in.

If we don't make wholesale coaching changes on that side of the ball, then Shafer won't be here for much longer.
That is splitting hairs. McDonald was the WR coach at Arkansas so I would say he is qualified to be ours. That was a gut wrenching decision for Shafer and was tantamount to a firing. He obviously has the stones.

That is splitting hairs. McDonald was the WR coach at Arkansas so I would say he is qualified to be ours. That was a gut wrenching decision for Shafer and was tantamount to a firing. He obviously has the stones.

The real hair splitting is claiming that he was fired versus demoted [and claiming that he was the WR coach at Arkansas--he was there for about 2 hours before bailing for Syracuse]. I don't necessarily disagree about McDonald being a reasonable WR coach.

We'll see what Shafer does now. His job is literally on the line. I'm not going to go look up the rankings, but we are squarely in the 100s in several offensive production category. You have to work REALLY hard to achieve that level of ineptitude.

TheCusian said:
Aside from his decisions to punt inside the 50, how can you possibly judge someones intelligence through a TV set? He may or may not be up for the job - but questioning the mans intelligence is kind of lame.
I can question his intelligence based on his decisions--on field and off. He is an emotional man who makes poor decisions across the board ("F you, Dabo?") and he hires out of loyalty, not qualifications. I stand by my original post. He is a meathead. I find him a distasteful representative of the university. He is running our football program back into the dark ages with his tough guy routine. Disagree with me if you'd like, but the results don't lie.

Don't give a hoot about his "goodness". I only care about his record. He's in over his head and in my opinion is a clown. Looking forward to hearing more about his opinions on ISIS.

Silly. No one here is okay with this seasons record.

But when you call a guy a clown and that he lacks intelligence? Are you judging the record or the man? I think a lot of things about the job Shafer's done - but the guy is rock solid and cares about his kids.

I can question his intelligence based on his decisions--on field and off. He is an emotional man who makes poor decisions across the board ("F you, Dabo?") and he hires out of loyalty, not qualifications. I stand by my original post. He is a meathead. I find him a distasteful representative of the university. He is running our football program back into the dark ages with his tough guy routine. Disagree with me if you'd like, but the results don't lie.

Spill your venom somewhere else buddy. I can have a reasonable discussion about how good a coach he is - but the noxious mix your pushing belongs on syracuse.com.

The real hair splitting is claiming that he was fired versus demoted [and claiming that he was the WR coach at Arkansas--he was there for about 2 hours before bailing for Syracuse]. I don't necessarily disagree about McDonald being a reasonable WR coach.

We'll see what Shafer does now. His job is literally on the line. I'm not going to go look up the rankings, but we are squarely in the 100s in several offensive production category. You have to work REALLY hard to achieve that level of ineptitude.

That makes me wonder if they were working hard but with the wrong system/scheme(s). It's like you're practicing but continuing to practice the wrong thing...it's nice you're out there working hard but if you're doing the wrong system in the first place, it's just a huge waste of time.

That makes me wonder if they were working hard but with the wrong system/scheme(s). It's like you're practicing but continuing to practice he wrong thing...it's nice you're out there working hard but if you're doing the wrong system in the first place, it's just a huge waste of time.

It doesn't even matter to me anymore what kind of offense we run. The Dome provides us with perfect conditions for half the games on our schedule, so you'd think that we'd really look to air the ball out. But I've given up on waiting for that to happen [sorry OttoInTheGrotto]. I don't care whether we run Paul Johnson's rush oriented offense at GT, the wishbone--whatever. Just run something and run it reasonably well.

Every other college out there seems capable of running some semblance of a structured offense that produces--its unacceptable in my mind that we can't. My opinion only, but that's my real indictment of Shafer. I like [a LOT] what we're doing on the defensive side of the ball. If we had the same success on offense, then we'd be a borderline top 25 team. He really needs to figure things out -- and your questions are a good place to start.

Is this staff as currently constituted the right group to achieve whatever they're trying to achieve? Or does he need to bring in an OC who is more proven and a better teacher than the current group? I think that Shafer's tenure as our head coach depends on how he approaches those set of decisions.

TheCusian said:
Silly. No one here is okay with this seasons record. But when you call a guy a clown and that he lacks intelligence? Are you judging the record or the man? I think a lot of things about the job Shafer's done - but the guy is rock solid and cares about his kids.
Same could be said about GRob.

TheCusian said:
Spill your venom somewhere else buddy. I can have a reasonable discussion about how good a coach he is - but the noxious mix your pushing belongs on syracuse.com.
Ha! I've been here since Bees migrated to the other site from Syracuse Dot Com. Check my profile. But I guess this is the "Shafer is a good man therefore cannot be called out" board now? Shafer lost me as he's losing a lot of the fan base. If I can't call him names say I'm through with him on this message board, there's a problem with this message board.