Happy Birthday James Arthur Boeheim | Syracusefan.com

Happy Birthday James Arthur Boeheim

Animated GIF

Hell Hubie Brown who coached as an assistant with my uncle Larry Costello is still going strong I believe calling nba games in his early 90s I believe!
Great memories of Larry. I was fortunate to talk to him when I was still playing. We were scrimmaging the women’s team I think at Utica College. Some college aged men’s team was scrimmaging before us and he was watching from the stands for some reason. He asked me questions about our team (mostly ex college players) and he told me how much he enjoyed coaching women. I hadn’t realized till he told me that he had ever coached women in Pro ball. I knew he played in the NBA and coached in it. He was a bit down on the state of the men’s game at the time. He said the women he coached wanted to learn, listened and wanted to get better. He said the male players think they know everything. We even talked about our families a bit. Surprised he stayed to watch most of our scrimmage despite saying he had to leave soon and waved good bye when he left while we were still playing. Wish he had stayed just a few more minutes so I could have talked to him more after the game a little bit. Nice memory though.

Great memories of Larry. I was fortunate to talk to him when I was still playing. We were scrimmaging the women’s team I think at Utica College. Some college aged men’s team was scrimmaging before us and he was watching from the stands for some reason. He asked me questions about our team (mostly ex college players) and he told me how much he enjoyed coaching women. I hadn’t realized till he told me that he had ever coached women in Pro ball. I knew he played in the NBA and coached in it. He was a bit down on the state of the men’s game at the time. He said the women he coached wanted to learn, listened and wanted to get better. He said the male players think they know everything. We even talked about our families a bit. Surprised he stayed to watch most of our scrimmage despite saying he had to leave soon and waved good bye when he left while we were still playing. Wish he had stayed just a few more minutes so I could have talked to him more after the game a little bit. Nice memory though.
Larry was my high school gym teacher. Junior year, if I recall. Also coached the basketball team. I think he was only around for a year before heading off to the NBA and winning a championship with some guy named Alcindor.

One day in class, he was teaching us proper form on free throws. I can still hear him saying “Richard, get your elbow higher.” When he was shooting them, they were barely rippling the net.

Larry was my high school gym teacher. Junior year, if I recall. Also coached the basketball team. I think he was only around for a year before heading off to the NBA and winning a championship with some guy named Alcindor.

One day in class, he was teaching us proper form on free throws. I can still hear him saying “Richard, get your elbow higher.” When he was shooting them, they were barely rippling the net.
Yes, probably the only person who went from coaching HS ball to coaching an NBA championship team. One of few who won a chip as a player and a coach. Always found it interesting that he came back and coached at Utica, but he obviously loved coaching. Upstate NY was a huge hotbed at one time with NBA teams in Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo, so there were a lot of guys like Costello and Al Cervi and Dolph Schayes around. All Hall of Famers.

Hope he has had a wonderful birthday.My San Diego son and his wife received an invitation by the Syracuse U San Diego Alumni group for a brunch meeting/question and answer being held right now in Redondo Beach, Ca with Jim and Bob Costas. So Jim’s working for the University even on his birthday. Amazing man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom