HCSS | Syracusefan.com

HCSS

kcsu

Living Legend
I expect Syracuse to win between 6-9 games this year and to go to another bowl. With that said and with the rumors surrounding Gross do you think that Syracuse will offer HCSS an extension on his current contract as i believe if we have a good year he is going to start showing up on the radar for some major teams and i truly hope that we can retain him.

Interesting question.
SU Certainly should do something to retain HCSS. I agree that he appears to have "It" and with a successful '14 season he will generate great interest among "those in need". I hope the administration does not take his permanence at SU for granted. While it seems it would take a lot to dislodge him from SU, a huge season could change the calculus for him and his family.
Can you expand on your comment regarding Gross ?
Thank you

GO ORANGE !

As to Gross there was a post a month or so ago that he might be on the outs due to the new chancellor. I like Gross and hope that it is truly just a rumor as i believe that he has done a very solid job

As to Gross there was a post a month or so ago that he might be on the outs due to the new chancellor. I like Gross and hope that it is truly just a rumor as i believe that he has done a very solid job

Cantor opened up the checkbook and allowed Gross to spend money like a sailor on leave.

There was a rumor that Gross and Syverud wouldn't agree on the new budget limits, but there has been no evidence that Gross can't work within the new guidelines.

Besides, once that ACC money starts coming in, we should be in good shape anyways.

OrangeXtreme said:
Cantor opened up the checkbook and allowed Gross to spend money like a sailor on leave. There was a rumor that Gross and Syverud wouldn't agree on the new budget limits, but there has been no evidence that Gross can't work within the new guidelines. Besides, once that ACC money starts coming in, we should be in good shape anyways.

I hope that ACC money was part of the long term budgeting.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes but I imagine Syverud took a look at, say, the Tennis coach's salary, and made some colorful comments to someone on his staff. Things like that turn into rumors quickly.

I expect Syracuse to win between 6-9 games this year and to go to another bowl. With that said and with the rumors surrounding Gross do you think that Syracuse will offer HCSS an extension on his current contract as i believe if we have a good year he is going to start showing up on the radar for some major teams and i truly hope that we can retain him.

I'm not sure that the "rumors" about Gross, real or imagined, would factor into that decision one way or the other.

As for an extension for SS, I do not see it as likely after only 2 years. Given all the variables last year, his first season as a HC was a success. But, he was still 20 seconds away from a losing season. This season...let's see how it plays out. At best, he will be fighting for 3rd place in the division, even with 9 wins. That 2 year track record would not seem like enough to attract the "major teams."

I think we should be more worried about losing McDonald and/or Daoust after this season.

This is all VERY premature.

I like Shafer as much as the next guy - I think he has a chance to be our best head coach since Coach Mac - but let's worry about 2014 and making a bowl before we worry about losing a 2nd-year head coach.

I'm not sure that the "rumors" about Gross, real or imagined, would factor into that decision one way or the other.

As for an extension for SS, I do not see it as likely after only 2 years. Given all the variables last year, his first season as a HC was a success. But, he was still 20 seconds away from a losing season. This season...let's see how it plays out. At best, he will be fighting for 3rd place in the division, even with 9 wins. That 2 year track record would not seem like enough to attract the "major teams."

I think we should be more worried about losing McDonald and/or Daoust after this season.

He was also about 1 minute and 1 point away from beating Pitt as well.

Cantor opened up the checkbook and allowed Gross to spend money like a sailor on leave.

There was a rumor that Gross and Syverud wouldn't agree on the new budget limits, but there has been no evidence that Gross can't work within the new guidelines.

Besides, once that ACC money starts coming in, we should be in good shape anyways.

Unfortunately for SU, opening the checkbook is what major programs do in college athletics. If we want to continue to be successful, that policy better continue at least with the Football, Basketball and Lax programs. No matter what the policy, I do disagree with paying the women's tennis coach and Gary Gait like they are the CEO of IBM.

Unfortunately for SU, opening the checkbook is what major programs do in college athletics. If we want to continue to be successful, that policy better continue at least with the Football, Basketball and Lax programs. No matter what the policy, I do disagree with paying the women's tennis coach and Gary Gait like they are the CEO of IBM.

Do we really need to advertise on EVERY cab in NYC?

Maybe 1 out of 20 cabs would be sufficient. :D

Do we really need to advertise on EVERY cab in NYC?

Maybe 1 out of 20 cabs would be sufficient. :D

LOL, was just down in NYC on Thursday. Was so aggravated by the traffic leaving the city at 6PM that I didn't even notice.

I've been told SS will only leave here for 4 or 5 jobs. If even that. Nothing to worry about here IMO, plan on seeing him around for awhile.

What would those jobs be, just curious?

As much as we love Shafe. He isn't on any teams radar, nowhere close to let's say having an SEC team interested.

What would those jobs be, just curious?

Ohio st., ND, Stanford... Those were the ones I was told... Take it fwiw though, it didn't come from his mouth.

also consider his kid in college at IC, he might be able to watch him play coaching here for 4 years

Ohio st., ND, Stanford... Those were the ones I was told... Take it fwiw though, it didn't come from his mouth.

He gets an offer at those gigs I wouldn't blame him for leaving, especially OSU or ND. I mean come on...

Shafer strikes me as the kind of guy that knows he can have a pretty nice long term deal here. Don't see him as conniving as others would be with this gig.

He also seems like a guy that is heavily invested in the players and thus not likely to leave in the middle of the night. Seems like if Shafer gave you his word, you wouldn't have to worry in the least that he'd keep it.

One of the great benefits that we have is that this staff is extremely tight due to their past stops. The more I hear/see SS and staff, the more I am impressed by their values as people. This is not about SS coach and family, GM coach and family, Adams coach and family... I perceive this as one huge family over at Manley. It is evident in the coaches wives involved in the program. This is a band of brothers/sisters our own "Duck Dynasty".

I grew up and taught in the inner city very much like what many of our players have experienced. I have also taught in Fl where many of our kids are being recruited from. At the elementary level in the beginning of the year I struggled with many of my students and parents in getting them to have faith in me to teach/parent their child. Through constant work, creating expectations/ideals, and building a family WE (as a unit) achieved things that no one expected including ourselves; not just developing my students but parents and me . It is exciting and extremely appealing. There was a genuine care, love, respect, trust... This is huge for people in a very scary world right now.

What I used in my classroom/school and what SS and staff are doing on the hill are exactly the same and IT WORKS (just look at our board). In a society where the ideals of companionship, being neighborly/community, accountability is quickly dying, it becomes very attractive because it has extreme worth/value. This is why we are hearing recruits/players say and do what they do. This is why this staff is going to be here for awhile. Don't underestimate the ability that they are able to live someone public/private lives. Many of these other areas it would be impossible to participate in public life as our coaches and families do. It is why the Jets love Cortland (I know because I have had first hand behind the scenes interactions with coaches and players).

Add to all this the fact that many of our coaches are on record of being happy at the level of coaching they are at i.e. GM said he always wanted to be an OC and never a head coach/ no interest in being a head coach.

Furthermore and finally,
  • major upgrades are here/coming
  • recruiting is on an uptick and will continue
  • we are in the p5
  • salary increases are coming
  • influx of money at levels not fathomed in the past
  • strong vision for the future of the program
  • support from Chancellor
  • growing support from the community
  • beginning to get back to being a player on the national scene
  • DM built the 21st SU shipyards SS is building the ship, HIS SHIP. I think one of the biggest things in SS past was his experience at Stanford, do not be surprised if we are his version of Stanford.
Let me conclude by saying that things can change and unforeseeable things can happen.

Sorry so long, just my humble opinion. I will see y'all at Fanfest!
syracuse-sunrise-over-the-dome-everet-regal.jpg

Last edited:
One of the great benefits that we have is that this staff is extremely tight due to their past stops. The more I hear/see SS and staff, the more I am impressed by their values as people. This is not about SS coach and family, GM coach and family, Adams coach and family... I perceive this as one huge family over at Manley. It is evident in the coaches wives involved in the program. This is a band of brothers/sisters our own "Duck Dynasty".

I grew up and taught in the inner city very much like what many of our players have experienced. I have also taught in Fl where many of our kids are being recruited from. At the elementary level in the beginning of the year I struggled with many of my students and parents in getting them to have faith in me to teach/parent their child. Through constant work, creating expectations/ideals, and building a family WE (as a unit) achieved things that no one expected including ourselves; not just developing my students but parents and me . It is exciting and extremely appealing. There was a genuine care, love, respect, trust... This is huge for people in a very scary world right now.

What I used in my classroom/school and what SS and staff are doing on the hill are exactly the same and IT WORKS (just look at our board). In a society where the ideals of companionship, being neighborly/community, accountability is quickly dying, it becomes very attractive because it has extreme worth/value. This is why we are hearing recruits/players say and do what they do. This is why this staff is going to be here for awhile. Don't underestimate the ability that they are able to live someone public/private lives. Many of these other areas it would be impossible to participate in public life as our coaches and families do. It is why the Jets love Cortland (I know because I have had first hand behind the scenes interactions with coaches and players).

Add to all this the fact that many of our coaches are on record of being happy at the level of coaching they are at i.e. GM said he always wanted to be an OC and never a head coach/ no interest in being a head coach.

Furthermore and finally,
  • we are in the p5
  • DM built the 21st SU shipyards SS is building the ship, HIS SHIP. I think one of the biggest things in SS past was his experience at Stanford, do not be surprised if we are his version of Stanford.
Let me conclude by saying that things can change and unforeseeable things can happen.

Sorry so long, just my humble opinion.

Awesome post and awesome picture!

I've been told SS will only leave here for 4 or 5 jobs. If even that. Nothing to worry about here IMO, plan on seeing him around for awhile.
Judge Judy wouldn't accept your evidence in court, but I think you're right -- both of his kids will be FM grads, and his son an Ithaca grad. The Shafers have a stake in CNY. Shafer also understands the importance and reverence of Mac, talking -- in his first presser, I believe -- about how he still has the picture of his brother and parents with Mac on a recruiting trip.

Furthermore and finally,
  • we are in the p5

Sorry so long, just my humble opinion. I will see y'all at Fanfest!
Nice post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom