Here comes Congress - Proposed NIL and Transfer Portal Bill | Syracusefan.com

Here comes Congress - Proposed NIL and Transfer Portal Bill

texascpa

Living Legend
Not that I necessarily agree this is a federal issue and do wonder how private universities could be held to these standards (whole different discussion), but here is what is being proposed through the bill:

New NIL, Transfer Portal and Insurance Bill for Universities

Couple interesting notes:

- Athletes would not be allowed to transfer for their first 3 years
- Full medical coverage up to 8 years AFTER a player graduates
- NCAA will have oversite and report into the Federal Trade Commission (effectively becoming an arm of the government)

Last edited:
I don't know how I feel about the transfer rule. I would argue you can transfer at anytime, but NIL money can not be offered prior to the portal.

I don't know how I feel about the transfer rule. I would argue you can transfer at anytime, but NIL money can not be offered prior to the portal.

Piggy backing off this, if the NCAA would become an arm of the Gov. could this act be made illegal?

Not that I necessarily agree this is a federal issue and do wonder how private universities could be held to these standards (whole different discussion). but here is what is being proposed through a bill:

New NIL, Transfer Portal and Insurance Bill for Universities

Couple interesting notes:

- Athletes would not be allowed to transfer for their first 3 years
- Full medical coverage up to 8 years AFTER a player graduates
- NCAA will have oversite and report into the Federal Trade Commission (effectively becoming an arm of the government)

On that top bullet -- I think they can still transfer, but wouldn't be immediately eligible like they are now until after 3 years.

Piggy backing off this, if the NCAA would become an arm of the Gov. could this act be made illegal?

Yes. Any violation of the legislation, would be a "criminal" offense and administered by the FTC. Now, what the punishments would be is anyone's guess at this point.

That too, but he's Saban's buddy. I hate the entire thing. This is in direct response to factories getting their panties in a bunch because they have lost younger 4 and 5 stars who don't want to sit behind veteran 4 and 5 stars.
Saban is from WV, as anybody from that state will probably tell you randomly in a conversation.

Wait, what? Isn't one of the arguments against the open portal today is that the factories can stockpile talent? lol

It all depends.

But I think the 3 year rule helps the factories more. Our best bet is to get someone who's unhappy early on. Our most likely players to lose are people who have been here 3 years and shown on the field that they were better than their recruiting profile out of HS.

this was inevitable. congress will fix it and probably fix it incorrectly.

the transfer portal is a mess more than NIL IMO. Education has to be part of any transfer. They should tether it to grades as well. I mean let's be real.

this was inevitable. congress will fix it and probably fix it incorrectly.

the transfer portal is a mess more than NIL IMO. Education has to be part of any transfer. They should tether it to grades as well. I mean let's be real.
Why?

It already is tethered to grades.

In every sport players can transfer, but not football or basketball because they make money?

It all depends.

But I think the 3 year rule helps the factories more. Our best bet is to get someone who's unhappy early on. Our most likely players to lose are people who have been here 3 years and shown on the field that they were better than their recruiting profile out of HS.

Personally, I think we lost this past off-season in the transfer portal battle. We lost two solid starters and a potential NFL player (per Babers). I hope it works out for us, but on paper, we did not come out better.

Nothing is so broken that government can’t make it worse. This is college sports lining the pockets of Congress to get legislation taking power away from (predominantly) African American athletes, many of who come from backgrounds that are less than affluent and schools that are sub-sub-par.

Why not medical for life for the injuries and their effects throughout life? Why can’t kids move when they want to. They are supposed to be students first, then athletes.

Under this rule, if NW doesn’t clear out the coaches, kids would have to play in that environment. If the original whistle-blower couldn’t have transferred first, would we even know about the stuff that went on.

To reframe JKinPhilly’s position: doesn’t Congress have far more important things to do than protect college coaches won loss records?

Last edited:
Personally, I think we lost this past off-season in the transfer portal battle. We lost two solid starters and a potential NFL player (per Babers). I hope it works out for us, but on paper, we did not come out better.

I beg to differ. My glass is half full.

Yes - losing Duce and Ja'Had sucks.
I doubt anybody would debate that.

However - they both were effectively 1-and-done, so Cuse was only getting one more season of play from either of them.

The guys we got to replace them, have at least 2 more years to play, AND they already used their transfer.

But here's the thing: We got in a LOT more transfers than we lost.
And several of those dudes were guys who, based on their HS crootin' rankings, would be among the very best croots we've landed in the post 2000 era.

Especially QB's - we've gotten 4* SEC-caliber QB's from the portal.
That's a HUGE win for a school like Cuse.

I disagree, on paper -- based upon the recruiting ratings / offer lists of many of the players we brought in via the transfer portal.

On the field -- TBD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom