Here is what to look for... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Here is what to look for...

I'm afraid college basketball will become like Major League Baseball where the big market/big spending teams don't always win but they give themselves a better opportunity to win titles.

A smaller spending team can still win a championship but almost everything has to turn out right and big money spent on a player that doesn't perform or gets hurt can ruin your season.
Probably…and we need to figure out the Moneyball equivalent, because our approach so far isn’t working.

We could also try the Marlins model. Tank for a few years and save up as much NIL as possible, then sink it all into one season.

Probably…and we need to figure out the Moneyball equivalent, because our approach so far isn’t working.

We could also try the Marlins model. Tank for a few years and save up as much NIL as possible, then sink it all into one season.
We have been bad at roster management. There's teams with less resources that have killed us. Virginia being one.

We have been bad at roster management. There's teams with less resources that have killed us. Virginia being one.
I would think if it was important to Virginia they’d have plenty of resources. They have the 5th largest public university endowment beating even Ohio St. They have a very wealthy alumni base. Hoo‘s that could buy all of us. :)

I would think if it was important to Virginia they’d have plenty of resources. They have the 5th largest public university endowment beating even Ohio St. They have a very wealthy alumni base. Hoo‘s that could buy all of us. :)

You have a thing for “well endowed” Hoos? ;)

If endowment size mattered in college sports,
then Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT and similar would dominate them all.

We don't have enough info and we are just speculating myself included. It could be that we had X+Y+Z in the NIL reserve and Eddie asked for 2X+3Y, so a donor contributed X+2Y, Eddie got his 2X+3Y and stays and we are left with Z which is $4.99, and it does add up, just that $4.99 is barely enough for a Wendy's Frosty plus NYC sales tax.
1000001138.jpg

then Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT and similar would dominate them all.
They probably could, if they determined that was the way to go. But they decided education was their mission and they de-emphasized athletics.

Remember, the Ivy League was not officially formed until 1954. Pre-WW II, the Ivy schools were into big-time athletics.

True but it’s all about priorities. There has been lot of supposition whether the Ivy’s would ever start playing the NIL game and what they could do if they ever did. I know endowments can’t be spent on athletics but it is a decent measure of strong alumni support. Ivy’s never gave their players a 5th Covid year - obviously athletics isn’t their priority right now.

We don't have enough info and we are just speculating myself included. It could be that we had X+Y+Z in the NIL reserve and Eddie asked for 2X+3Y, so a donor contributed X+2Y, Eddie got his 2X+3Y and stays and we are left with Z which is $4.99, and it does add up, just that $4.99 is barely enough for a Wendy's Frosty plus NYC sales tax.

I think you could have said that without the algebra, personally. LOL

NIL isn’t a zero sum game. More wins will bring more donors. People like to back winners. (Fran is a unicorn right now.)

Last edited:
NIL isn’t a zero sum game. More wins will bring more donors. People like to back winners. (Gran is a unicorn right now.)
Alternatively, it's exactly a zero sum game.

Did you forget to tag Hoo's That?

I'm afraid college basketball will become like Major League Baseball where the big market/big spending teams don't always win but they give themselves a better opportunity to win titles.

A smaller spending team can still win a championship but almost everything has to turn out right and big money spent on a player that doesn't perform or gets hurt can ruin your season.
Syracuse is a big market team. Consistently top three in attendance and revenue

Saw a new clip of Mike McC on the radio again. About the 3rd time in the last few weeks he's said that Autry and staff are being really stealthy when it comes to who they're looking at.

I said it before there are too many other coaches out there in the league and all they do is make moves after other staffs. Then it's a slippery slope because it makes sense for that player to maximize their NIL by building hype that Cuse wants them. Then we're in a bidding war.

Sucks for us fans because we have no idea who's filling out those last spots, but it's critical right now our staff don't tip their hand to anyone.

Saw a new clip of Mike McC on the radio again. About the 3rd time in the last few weeks he's said that Autry and staff are being really stealthy when it comes to who they're looking at.

I said it before there are too many other coaches out there in the league and all they do is make moves after other staffs. Then it's a slippery slope because it makes sense for that player to maximize their NIL by building hype that Cuse wants them. Then we're in a bidding war.

Sucks for us fans because we have no idea who's filling out those last spots, but it's critical right now our staff don't tip their hand to anyone.
Other coaches will find out anyway after Syracuse offers the kid. You can only be silent before the offer.

Syracuse is a big market team. Consistently top three in attendance and revenue
But our insiders have guessed that Syracuse basketball is likely in the 20-40 range in NIL funds which to me means Syracuse is more of an upper middle market team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom