Here's what I'm left hoping for | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here's what I'm left hoping for

And everyone could stop our offense. So ye lets do more of that. Let's have a defense that sucks and an offense that sucks instead of a good offense and a sucky defense.
You do recall that GRob brought in the West Coast offense and everyone was SOooooooooooooooooo excited. The offense was putrid when he was coach. Does no one remember this?

Blood Orange said:
SU's defense couldn't stop anyone. Let's hire an offensive guy so we can keep losing 49-28. A bowl game is a bowl game. There are a thousand bowl games. They are even letting in 5-7 teams. And SU still isn't qualified. UConn was 2-10 last year. Went to 6-6 this year. Who the hell cares how you win games as long as you win games. I myself wish I was preparing to watch SU play in a bowl game this year. No matter the bowl game. Did you watch SU in the Texas Bowl a few years ago? I went to the Pinstripe Bowl where they beat West Virginia. They won and all the players went over to the SU fan section to thank them and give high fives. It was awesome.

There were 26K people at Rentschler Field for UConn-Houston. On the same day there were 52K people in New Haven to see Yale-Harvard.

Yes, CT is ENAMORED with what Diaco had built.

There were 26K people at Rentschler Field for UConn-Houston. On the same day there were 52K people in New Haven to see Yale-Harvard.

Yes, CT is ENAMORED with what Diaco had built.
Have you been to Rentschler? It is a million miles away from the UConn campus. And Yale-Harvard is an institution. People who didn't even go to school at Harvard or Yale travel to watch that game. Try again with that comparison. Not to mention...26k for a UConn game is about as good as most of the SU attendances. And if you tell me there were over 30k at the BC game I have land to sell you in Florida.

Blood Orange said:
Have you been to Rentschler? It is a million miles away from the UConn campus. And Yale-Harvard is an institution. People who didn't even go to school at Harvard or Yale travel to watch that game. Try again with that comparison. Not to mention...26k for a UConn game is about as good as most of the SU attendances. And if you tell me there were over 30k at the BC game I have land to sell you in Florida.

I live in CT, I am intimately familiar with all of that. Diaco is getting a big yawn from the state, aside from his insane "rivalry" trophy ideas.

But sure, keep winning 6 games via 17-14 Rock
Fights and maybe they'll get 30K when they play their big game next year.

I live in CT, I am intimately familiar with all of that. Diaco is getting a big yawn from the state, aside from his insane "rivalry" trophy ideas.

But sure, keep winning 6 games via 17-14 Rock
Fights and maybe they'll get 30K when they play their big game next year.
So what you are saying is you would rather lose 49-42 and look "exciting" as opposed to winning 16-13? Is that what you are saying?

So what you are saying is you would rather lose 49-42 and look "exciting" as opposed to winning 16-13? Is that what you are saying?
Why are those the only options? Same record which would you prefer?

if SU bball was hiring today and JB was the leading guy, people would be screaming about hiring a guy who plays zone and only uses 6 men..
and you would be trying to tell us that a zone is actually man to man

No but people would rather go 6-6 winning games 38-35 than go 6-6 winning games 16-13.

We deserve a HC with a college offense background.

Why are those the only options? Same record which would you prefer?
So win 51-48 maybe every other week then? Let's use the Oregon example then...they light up score boards. Then they get to the National Title game twice. What happened? Lost both because better defenses stopped them. The SEC is filled with these so called "rock fights" yet they get praise. The Big 12 has all these insane shootouts where no one plays defense and they get ridiculed. You want SU to be Texas Tech basically. 7-5, 6-6. Can score all day but can't stop anyone.

So win 51-48 maybe every other week then? Let's use the Oregon example then...they light up score boards. Then they get to the National Title game twice. What happened? Lost both because better defenses stopped them. The SEC is filled with these so called "rock fights" yet they get praise. The Big 12 has all these insane shootouts where no one plays defense and they get ridiculed. You want SU to be Texas Tech basically. 7-5, 6-6. Can score all day but can't stop anyone.
We are so far away from those examples. We are at the bottom decile of college programs and you are giving me top 25 schools as examples of derision l

Why was my post deleted? Am I missing something?

PhatOrange said:
Lol. And anyone thinking a first time HC is going to wow us with a big time OC hire is kidding themselves. The OC hire will be about as splashy as the HC hire.

If Ash is the guy what a joke. Id prefer just about any successful FCS HC to a defensive coordinator.

We are so far away from those examples. We are at the bottom decile of college programs and you are giving me top 25 schools as examples of derision l
That's my point. And Texas Tech is a perfect example. That is what we are striving for? We like shiny objects. I was using UConn as an example in this entire thread. They were a dormant program. Last year they were 2-10. Awful. This year they won 6 games and are in a bowl game. And maybe next year the offense gets a couple of offensive playmakers and goes to 8-4. That was my example. But UConn is being dismissed because they play boring football.

Ok, you need to stop.

In the same breath that you acknowledged that Oregon's offense got them to the championship game, heights we can't even dream of, you explain that the lesson you took from that is that their problem was defense.

I started this thread because my standards were so low. Soooo low. All I wanted to see was us bring in a head coach that has a clue on offense and has had some success on offense. In an era of unprecedented offense in college football, at a program that plays in a stadium built for offense, that might be too much to ask.

That hurts. Utter hopelessness. I'm not even joking, if we're going to try to go the defense route again just cancel the Dome renovation and fold the football program. Why can't we try anything different? Why? We've perfected the shizstorm that is NE football and the lack of glory it brings. We can't even hope to deviate from that?

If Ash is the guy, you're telling me now my hope has to be that he brings in an OC that is the difference maker I hoped the HC would be. That has to be my hope? That's ridiculous.

It isn't even fun anymore seeing people embrace meathead. So please, don't hijack my thread anymore by talking about CODDAMN MOTHER EFFIN' UCONN AND THEIR ABILITY TO WHITE KNUCKLE THEIR WAY TO BOWLS WITH ROCK FIGHT VICTORIES AND TELL ME THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD ASPIRE TO. You have no right.

Coyle, hire for offense and all is forgiven.

I, for one, am honored just to be allowed to sign on and read this board, where literally dozens and dozens of people are smarter than the guy whose job it is to be the AD at a P5 school, as well as the chancellor of said school.

I can't take this spread/Air Raid talk anymore. People need to realize that these types of offenses thrive on creating 1-on-1 match ups in the open field. Basically you're saying our guy is better than yours. How are we expected to win when we can't out recruit 3/4 of our league??? I'm a coach in high school and going into a game against a spread opponent it's pretty simple. Teams that have more than 1 explosive WR, better than average RB and a good QB will be successful and point some points up based on talent (I'm oversimplifying this, but you get the point). How does a spread attack fit us unless a new coach has major recruiting ties??? Our scheme this season was sound on both sides of the ball. The majority of our losses can be traced to better talent, see USF. The only reason the Clemson game was close was because the triple option negates an opponents talent to some degree and focuses on assignment. I'd take a coach who has strong recruiting ties over some offensive genius. There's an old saying, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shi*t. Otherwise, get ready for a lot of quick 3 and outs in that spread up tempo offense unless we're pulling in Oregon/Baylor type talent. Before you reference MAC schools with spread attacks, they would not be able to hang week in week out in any major conference.

I'm neither pro offense or defense for our next HC, but hire someone with some strong recruiting ties in the Northeast.

I can't take this spread/Air Raid talk anymore. People need to realize that these types of offenses thrive on creating 1-on-1 match ups in the open field. Basically you're saying our guy is better than yours. How are we expected to win when we can't out recruit 3/4 of our league??? I'm a coach in high school and going into a game against a spread opponent it's pretty simple. Teams that have more than 1 explosive WR, better than average RB and a good QB will be successful and point some points up based on talent (I'm oversimplifying this, but you get the point). How does a spread attack fit us unless a new coach has major recruiting ties??? Our scheme this season was sound on both sides of the ball. The majority of our losses can be traced to better talent, see USF. The only reason the Clemson game was close was because the triple option negates an opponents talent to some degree and focuses on assignment. I'd take a coach who has strong recruiting ties over some offensive genius. There's an old saying, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shi*t. Otherwise, get ready for a lot of quick 3 and outs in that spread up tempo offense unless we're pulling in Oregon/Baylor type talent. Before you reference MAC schools with spread attacks, they would not be able to hang week in week out in any major conference.

I'm neither pro offense or defense for our next HC, but hire someone with some strong recruiting ties in the Northeast.
No, no, no. Spread doesn't require better talent. It was invented as a counter to teams with better talent.

Can Blood Orange point out a college defense that is actually, truly dominant? As far as I'm aware one of those hasn't truly existed since the peak USC years. The best college defenses year by year still aren't great. And the ones that are good, most that populate the Top 10? Populated by stud blue chip recruits. Teams like BC get in the Top 10 mostly because the teams they played were pretty garbage.

No, no, no. Spread doesn't require better talent. It was invented as a counter to teams with better talent.

It requires better 1-on-1 talent in space. You have 2 high safeties you need a RB when can make the defense pay. Load the box, need to win the 1-on-1 on the perimeter. C'mon can I have another football coach back me up on this. This is elementary.

It requires better 1-on-1 talent in space. You have 2 high safeties you need a RB when can make the defense pay. Load the box, need to win the 1-on-1 on the perimeter. C'mon can I have another football coach back me up on this. This is elementary.
Go ahead and get the other coach to back you up.

What's elementary is that the offense, by it's nature, has the advantage because the offense makes the choices against a defense that is, by it's nature, reactive to what the offense is doing, so the offense can benefit from its inherent advantage even with a talent discrepancy.

You know what, I can't do it anymore. Let's just put aside that we're seeing points scored like never before in the entire history of football. It's all coincidence. I see clearly now.

I'm sorry, you proved my point in your 2nd sentence. You are correct, the offense does make a choice based off of what the defense shows the offense. This is where you need talent to win the individual battle. Example, a QB needs to throw a fade vs press coverage, a RB that can make an LB miss in space, same with a WR on a bubble or any route underneath. Take Syracuse's current roster and show me where we have multiple advantages. Scheme doesn't matter when you don't have the talent. I'm not anti spread, but I feel this is very risky with all of the southern teams and talent we go up against. I'm done.

So explain Briles at Baylor, Leach at Washington State, Montgomery at Tulsa and Babers at Bowling Green (against P5 competition)

All of them including Baylor had at best 3 star players when they started breaking all sorts of offensive records. According to you that's not possible.

wiCuse said:
I'm sorry, you proved my point in your 2nd sentence. You are correct, the offense does make a choice based off of what the defense shows the offense. This is where you need talent to win the individual battle. Example, a QB needs to throw a fade vs press coverage, a RB that can make an LB miss in space, same with a WR on a bubble or any route underneath. Take Syracuse's current roster and show me where we have multiple advantages. Scheme doesn't matter when you don't have the talent. I'm not anti spread, but I feel this is very risky with all of the southern teams and talent we go up against. I'm done.

Go and watch Bowling Greens offense. They scheme guys open about 80% of the time. The rest are deep balls in man to man.

Scheme is EVERYTHING when you don't have the talent. Nothing I said proved your point. Nothing. I'm glad you're done. I can't handle these kinds of conversations anymore. I've spent years on this board trying to help people understand, and so many have caught on, and yet other people still fight it.

There is unprecedented scoring in college football, and there's a simple explanation as to why. But let's keep ignoring it.