High School Football in Georgia | Syracusefan.com

High School Football in Georgia

I think in many sports the best athlete is being over taken by those more athletic kids.

Sports have become more about being physical than ever before.

Look at how many kids can run, jump out of the gym, and are big/strong but cant do the simple things like catch a ball.

I think in many sports the best athlete is being over taken by those more athletic kids.

Sports have become more about being physical than ever before.

Look at how many kids can run, jump out of the gym, and are big/strong but cant do the simple things like catch a ball.
Not sure I follow this

yeah.. You wonder how much talent in NY never has a chance to grow because of location/access to training. I mean you cant do this level of workout if you are in season BBall getting ready for baseball in a month

NY High Schools don't put their money into sports the way they do in South. Have you ever seen a NY HS weight room that looked like this ? Where does all the money go?

I disagree that you can't work out like this if you are in season and getting ready for another sport in a month. Where there's a will there's a way.

Kids don't need a fancy weight rooms though, but I just wish we had HS S&C trainers that were that intense for the workouts. Those type of trainers are worth their weight in gold for a sports team. My kingdom for a real S&C coach and an agility trainer, everything would have to be paid for with fundraising.

Not sure I follow this
go back 30-40-50 yrs before the emphasis on physicality across all sports.

You had the occasional beast who could play, but in many sports you had to be better at the actual sport to get on the field.

Fball.. maybe you were a step slower, but you could catch, make people miss in space, you were in the right spot, you made tackles. Manning vs Jackson

Basketball.. You couldnt jump over people or dribble 100mph or dunk.. But you made the pass, made the FTs, You boxed out, you anticipated on D.

Golf has become all about the driver in many ways

Tennis is how hard can you hit the serve.

You can be a great athlete and not be super athletic.

NY High Schools don't put their money into sports the way they do in South. Have you ever seen a NY HS weight room that looked like this ? Where does all the money go?

I disagree that you can't work out like this if you are in season and getting ready for another sport in a month. Where there's a will there's a way.

Kids don't need a fancy weight rooms though, but I just wish we had HS S&C trainers that were that intense for the workouts. Those type of trainers are worth their weight in gold for a sports team. My kingdom for a real S&C coach and an agility trainer, everything would have to be paid for with fundraising.
Workouts are for off season.. Maintenance is for in season though.

You cant be a class B/C basketball player around here and come off 2 hrs of that and then do a 2 hr weight program like this for fball and not wreck your body.

You had the occasional beast who could play, but in many sports you had to be better at the actual sport to get on the field.

Fball.. maybe you were a step slower, but you could catch, make people miss in space, you were in the right spot, you made tackles. Manning vs Jackson

Basketball.. You couldnt jump over people or dribble 100mph or dunk.. But you made the pass, made the FTs, You boxed out, you anticipated on D.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Yet the best basketball player in the world right now is a throwback type in Joker. Granted he is a 7 footer but the NBA wants ridiculous athletic wings who can do it all, like a Tatum

I think that's been going on for awhile. Football just isn't in the NYS DNA, like other states. Lack of a flagship state school or two who features the sport doesn't help.
All the great athletes in NYS back in the day played multiple sports. Even now I bet we have more than most states. I think it’s overall a good thing for the students in general but hinders high level football growth.

Yeah.. There are far more freaks I suppose now, just because the level of training across the board has elevated so many.

Workouts are for off season.. Maintenance is for in season though.

You cant be a class B/C basketball player around here and come off 2 hrs of that and then do a 2 hr weight program like this for fball and not wreck your body.

I have no idea how long the workouts are but you're talking about basketball. Basketball is 12 skinny kids. If you're missing a few big deal. There's dozens of kids in that room.

Though I do know kids who could play basketball and put in that level of workout. I see it.

Looks like a whole other level. That being said, anecdotally, it seems like a lot of NYS high schools have at least started to venture into weight programs, but are 20-30 years behind the like of Ga, Texas, Florida, etc. programs.

Not sure if that gap ever closes, but I can see the perceived value of S&C programs in NY high schools continue to grow, and in 20-30 years, we will see gyms like this

Last edited:
All the great athletes in NYS back in the day played multiple sports. Even now I bet we have more than most states. I think it’s overall a good thing for the students in general but hinders high level football growth.
Yup.. I agree.

I remember that I was pissed because my mother wouldnt let me play fball.. But I played everything else soccer/golf/bowling/baseball/basketball/tennis whatever sport was in season. I was mad that the rules wouldnt let me play multiple sports at the same time though. In the spring I wanted to play baseball and then play golf/tennis on the days we didnt have games or play both on some days if the game time worked out.

And the same things happened.. The physical kids play fball in a small town full of farmers. Our QB was one of the bigger more physical kids and a decent athlete, but when it came to playing QB in pickup or gym or intramurals I was always the QB because even though i was smaller/slower and couldn't throw it a mile, when the game was being played you needed to be able to make plays and if he wasnt more physical than the other team he had no way to make plays.

I have no idea how long the workouts are but you're talking about basketball. Basketball is 12 skinny kids. If you're missing a few big deal. There's dozens of kids in that room.

Though I do know kids who could play basketball and put in that level of workout. I see it.
Never even had a weight room when we were in HS.. A few kids had some at home, but that was it.. A different world for sure. I went to college and was amazed.

Every college lacrosse coach I know first question they ask; do they play any other sports? Shay at Yale has said he prefers to recruit multisport athletes. IMO, one of the differences is, yes HS coaches encourage 1 sport focus - that's a problem, but outside that pressure, kids are now making those choices on their own because they see a legit opportunity to play in college and get to the league.

All the great athletes I see today still play multiple sports, but THE very BEST players I see on the soccer field, basketball court, baseball or lacrosse field, the best players train at their sport of preference year round. They are usually the best kids on the field for the sport they focus on. I don't know any NY kid who trains for football year round. Not 1.

I'll go down to a sports complex tonight at 4pm and there'll be 4 fields, 3 will be occupied by soccer and 1 lacrosse. When the lax kids leave the field at 5pm there will be HS girls soccer walking on. AAU basketball and club hockey is running on weekends now to. I bet you could not find 1 football thing to do if you tried. I don't know if I've ever heard of an out of season 1 night a week football clinic/workout.

Last edited:
Every college lacrosse coach I know first question they ask; do they play any other sports? Shay at Yale has said he prefers to recruit multisport athletes. IMO, one of the differences is, yes coaches encourage 1 sport focus - that's a problem, but outside that pressure, kids are now making those choices on their own because they see a legit opportunity to play in college and get to the league.

All the great athletes I see today still play multiple sports, but THE very BEST players I see on the soccer field, basketball court, baseball or lacrosse field, the best players train at their sport of preference year round. They are usually the best kids on the field for the sport they focus on. I don't know any NY kid who trains for football year round. Not 1.

I'll go down to a sports complex tonight at 4pm and there'll be 4 fields, 3 will be occupied with soccer and 1 lacrosse. When the lax kids leave the field at 5pm there will be HS girls soccer walking on. AAU basketball and club hockey is running on weekends now to. I bet you could not find 1 football thing to do if you tried. I don't know if I've ever heard of an out of season 1 night a week football clinic/workout.
Agreed and I am sure that is very typical throughout all of Upstate NY, just the way it is

Greg Maddox

And yes I know he was good at multiple sports

Dude looked like an accountant who enjoys his weekend beer league

I remember Ollie Taylor. He was 6-2 and played for Houston and they said he could dunk. This was pre-ESPN so there was just a game of the week on national TV. I never saw him play. But I couldn't imagine how a 6-2 player could dunk. I thought you had to be a 7 footer. I couldn't see it so I didn't believe it. We had a team full of 6-2 guys, (Roy's Runts) and I never saw any of them dunk.

I remember Ollie Taylor. He was 6-2 and played for Houston and they said he could dunk. This was pre-ESPN so there was just a game of the week on national TV. I never saw him play. But I couldn't imagine how a 6-2 player could dunk. I thought you had to be a 7 footer. I couldn't see it so I didn't believe it. We had a team full of 6-2 guys, (Roy's Runts) and I never saw any of them dunk.

yeah playing games in the 80s, finding someone who could dunk was a big deal.. even the 6-5 kids rarely could do it in a game.

Do
Do you think this is why a number of ny football players are late bloomers and develop and excel once they get to college?

The purpose of high schools and colleges should be to open a student’s horizons, present him/her with many possibilities as to what they might be or do in life. Then, in college students who have made decisions about the career they want can also focus on what is necessary to propel them in the direction they want to go. Unfortunately, for athletes those decisions are being made too early for the purpose of shooting for a pro career that will only last a few years into their adult life. Even in football, players used to play both ways and a lot of noted NFL defensive players were more known for offense in college. Now they are just known as offensive players. They have to decide, (or have the decision made for them) much earlier in their careers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom