"Highest ranked team in BCS standings between Rutgers, Louisville and Syracuse... | Syracusefan.com

"Highest ranked team in BCS standings between Rutgers, Louisville and Syracuse...

Scooch

Living Legend
...will get BCS berth."

That was the scroll that just went by during Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, preceeded by it saying that Louisville & UConn need to win for that scenario to occur.

We have no shot at the BCS, but damn if it ain't awesome having our name in consideration. What a fun 6 weeks this has been!

...will get BCS berth."

That was the scroll that just went by during Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, preceeded by it saying that Louisville & UConn need to win for that scenario to occur.

We have no shot at the BCS, but damn if it ain't awesome having our name in consideration. What a fun 6 weeks this has been!

I too saw this. Aint gonna happen but it was pretty nice to see. I am surprised that they didnt follow it up with "bernie fine scandal and all".

I dunno...
If RU vs. UL turns out to be a steamy turd...I mean, stranger things have happened.

I just wish we had one more game.

the only BCS standings I can find are for the Top 25. so what if none of the 3 teams is in the top 25 in the BCS Standings? do the BCS rankings go beyond 25?

the only BCS standings I can find are for the Top 25. so what if none of the 3 teams is in the top 25 in the BCS Standings? do the BCS rankings go beyond 25?

Yeah, we're currently 43

We would have to be about 13 spots higher to have even a prayer.

Yep.

It's OK, I'll take simply winning a share of the conference title.

Syracuse is currently ranked #43

#18 Rutgers gets curb-stomped by #79 Pitt
#20 Louisville loses in OT to #86 UConn

Many teams behind RU and UL won, meaning their drop in the rankings could be 10+ spots each. I expect Syracuse to crack the top 35.

Its a longshot, but there is a chance.

Well of course ESPN is ignoring the fact we need UConn to beat Cincinnati for that 3 way tie to happen. I believe we have a shot if the UL-RU game was a ugly steamy turd of a game UL won and SU got respect for how they have played in the second half of the year. While I wouldn't expect us to pass UL it could get interesting. Edit: I really wish we could have played that game under protest I hate complaining about refs as they usually suck both ways, but that was the most unfairly officiated game I have ever seen SU football involved in.

The BE champion receives an automatic BCS bid regardless of ranking. The rankings are considered only if the conference championship is shared (i.e., if Rutgers looses to Fried Chicken U on thursday). In that case, Rutgers, 'Ville and SU would all be 5-2, a 3-way tie. And if Cincy wins, they'd be 5-2 as well, creating a potential 4-way tie. SU has a slim chance to qualify, if Cincy looses and 'Ville beats Rutgirls (creating a 3-way tie), and - by some miracle - we wind up ranked higher than Rutgers but are tied with 'Ville in the rankings. In this implausible scenario, SU would then get a BCS bid over 'Ville b/c we won the head-to-head matchup.

Back to earth. Here are the conference standings and the rules:

Conference Standings: http://stats.syracuse.com/cfb/standings.asp?conf=1a:002

BE BCS selection tie-breaking rules:

Bowl Championship Series Representative Tiebreaker Procedure

In order to determine the Conference's representative to the Bowl Championship Series, the procedures listed below will be followed.

All references to "rankings" refer to the BCS Poll released after the regular season is completed for all BIG EAST members.

TWO-WAY TIE
The winner of the head to head match-up will represent the BIG EAST in the Bowl Championship Series.

THREE-WAY TIE
A "MINI-CONFERENCE" IS CREATED AMONGST THE THREE TIED TEAMS

Scenario I:
All three teams have either a 6-1 or 5-2 record and have each won one game and lost one game against the other tied teams in the mini-conference. In this case, the highest ranked team amongst the three earns the bid. If two of the three teams are tied for the highest ranking, the bid is earned by the team winning the head-to-head match up.

Scenario II:
All three teams have 5-2 records, and within the mini-conference, Team A is 2-0, Team B is 1-1, and Team C is 0-2. Team A earns bid regardless of ranking.

FOUR-WAY TIE
A "MINI-CONFERENCE" IS CREATED AMONGST THE FOUR TIED TEAMS

Scenario I:
In the mini-conference, Teams A & B are 2-1, and Teams C & D are 1-2. The higher ranked of the 2-1 teams earns the bid. If the 2-1 teams tie for the highest ranking, the bid goes to the team that won the head-to-head match up.

Scenario II:
In the mini-conference, Team A is 3-0, Team B is 2-1, Team C is 1-2, and Team D is 0-3. Team A earns bid regardless of ranking.

http://www.bigeast.org/Sports/Football/BCSBowlLineup.aspx

Syracuse is currently ranked #43

#18 Rutgers gets curb-stomped by #79 Pitt
#20 Louisville loses in OT to #86 UConn

Many teams behind RU and UL won, meaning their drop in the rankings could be 10+ spots each. I expect Syracuse to crack the top 35.

Its a longshot, but there is a chance.

There's no chance. Louisville has to win to even make this possible, in which case there's no scenario where we jump them.

Well of course ESPN is ignoring the fact we need UConn to beat Cincinnati for that 3 way tie to happen. I believe we have a shot if the UL-RU game was a ugly steamy turd of a game UL won and SU got respect for how they have played in the second half of the year. While I wouldn't expect us to pass UL it could get interesting. Edit: I really wish we could have played that game under protest I hate complaining about refs as they usually suck both ways, but that was the most unfairly officiated game I have ever seen SU football involved in.

No, the Cincy/UConn part was mentioned, per my original post.

I dunno...
If RU vs. UL turns out to be a steamy turd...I mean, stranger things have happened.

I just wish we had one more game.

That game could be 10 - 6, flip a coin to see who gets 10.

No, the Cincy/UConn part was mentioned, per my original post.
That is why I am an idiot sometimes, but still its awesome we are even having this discussion.

There's no chance. Louisville has to win to even make this possible, in which case there's no scenario where we jump them.

LVille drops 15 spots to 35.....SU jumps 10 spot to 33.

LVille wins a stinker against RU

Not saying its probable. Just saying there is a chance.

Louisville could win 2-0 against Buttgers and they wouldnt drop past us in that scenario.

Bad grammar. With "more than two," it should be AMONG... and not BETWEEN. No wonder kids today cannot speak the English language. They are being taught by the broadcast media geniuses... not by English teachers.

Louisville could win 2-0 against Buttgers and they wouldnt drop past us in that scenario.

We need LVille to drop below us after this week's poll...before next weeks RU game. If they don't, we have no shot.

You think a 9-2 Louisville team will be ranked behind a 7-5 SU team this week?! And will stay behind an idle SU team after winning a prime time game on Thursday?!

A 10-2 team will be behind us? After our big win over Temple?

Lets just agree to disagree.

Bad grammar. With "more than two," it should be AMONG... and not BETWEEN. No wonder kids today cannot speak the English language. They are being taught by the broadcast media geniuses... not by English teachers.
Eh. If people understand it the grammar is correct enough.

And in the words of Starbury, that's factorial.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My Mom was an English teacher. She's no longer with us but she had about given up on the English language long beforehand. :(

You think a 9-2 Louisville team will be ranked behind a 7-5 SU team this week?! And will stay behind an idle SU team after winning a prime time game on Thursday?!

A 10-2 team will be behind us? After our big win over Temple?

Lets just agree to disagree.

I'm not saying there is much of a shot. In fact, I think its damn near impossible. But whatever shot we have depends on LVille and RU taking a nosedive in the polls this week. And with the number of winners behind them, there is the slimmest of possibilities that it could happen.

Can you see SU making the jump from 43 to 35?

I'm not saying there is much of a shot. But whatever shot we have depends on LVille and RU taking a nosedive in the polls. And with the number of winners behind them, its possible.

Can you see SU making the jump from 43 to 35?

Nah, I hear you, I know you're giving it the ol' Lloyd Christmas treatment! ;)

But, no I can't see us moving up 8 spots. We beat Temple. Maybe 3. And even if we did, Lousiville is not dropping 15 spots. Maybe 5-7.