Hillsborough development | Syracusefan.com

Hillsborough development

Bortukal

All Conference
David Duckenfield, a former police commander, has finally admitted that he "froze" as the Hillsborough disaster unfolded. He previously admitted to lying about Liverpool fans forcing open an exit gate to enter the ground.

The disaster saw the deaths of 96 fans at an FA Cup match against Nottingham Forest.

BBC

Justice_for_the_96_-_geograph.org.uk_-_2661770.jpg

article-0-152A9270000005DC-622_634x331.jpg

images

tumblr_ljp33wDD5T1qcy529o1_500.jpg

1418450360_1837210252001_ari-origin29-arc-163-1347518889375.jpg

I'm a Liverpool supporter (obviously) but I've never been across the pond and have no ties to any of the families involved. That said, knowing this happened in 1989 and the families STILL don't have finality fills me with sadness. The dead are long buried, the guilty people are now old men, and still the inquests continue to clear the names of loved ones lost.

I can't even imagine if this had happened in the US but I can venture it wouldn't take 25 years (and counting) to get sorted.

I "grew up" a United supporter, watching tapes of their games passed around my team in high school was my first real exposure to English and European football. That said, this was a terrible tragedy. Liverpool and United supporters have had chants directed toward another about Hillsborough and the Munich air disaster. It is sickening. As much as I have fallen in love with English football, I don't think that I will ever truly understand the culture. Couldn't imagine a fanbase over here doing that to another.

I hope the families of the Liverpool supporters that tragically passed away will one day get the answers that they deserve. God bless the 96.

I'm a Liverpool supporter (obviously) but I've never been across the pond and have no ties to any of the families involved. That said, knowing this happened in 1989 and the families STILL don't have finality fills me with sadness. The dead are long buried, the guilty people are now old men, and still the inquests continue to clear the names of loved ones lost.

I can't even imagine if this had happened in the US but I can venture it wouldn't take 25 years (and counting) to get sorted.

Dumb question, forgive me. Did Liverpool start singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" after Hillsborough, in response to the tragedy, or had they sung it as their team anthem prior to that?

Dumb question, forgive me. Did Liverpool start singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" after Hillsborough, in response to the tragedy, or had they sung it as their team anthem prior to that?

It's not a dumb question and no they started well before that.

http://www.kopleft.com/youll-never-walk-alone-lyrics-and-history/

But I think it took on much more meaning when Shankley passed away in 81 and then even moreso after 89 and the Hillsborough Disaster.

No, that is a good question and I had wondered the same.

And good answer, Imperial. You are alright... for a Scouse. ;)

110415-082-Hillsborough_Memorial-1200x798.jpg

In memory of the Liverpool supporters who went to watch their beloved Reds on April 15th, 1989, but never returned. May they rest in peace and never be forgotten.

John Alfred Anderson (62)
Colin Mark Ashcroft (19)
James Gary Aspinall (18)
Kester Roger Marcus Ball (16)
Gerard Bernard Patrick Baron (67)
Simon Bell (17)
Barry Sidney Bennett (26)
David John Benson (22)
David William Birtle (22)
Tony Bland (22)
Paul David Brady (21)
Andrew Mark Brookes (26)
Carl Brown (18)
David Steven Brown (25)
Henry Thomas Burke (47)
Peter Andrew Burkett (24)
Paul William Carlile (19)
Raymond Thomas Chapman (50)
Gary Christopher Church (19)
Joseph Clark (29)
Paul Clark (18)
Gary Collins (22)
Stephen Paul Copoc (20)
Tracey Elizabeth Cox (23)
James Philip Delaney (19)
Christopher Barry Devonside (18)
Christopher Edwards (29)
Vincent Michael Fitzsimmons (34)
Thomas Steven Fox (21)
Jon-Paul Gilhooley (10)
Barry Glover (27)
Ian Thomas Glover (20)
Derrick George Godwin (24)
Roy Harry Hamilton (34)
Philip Hammond (14)
Eric Hankin (33)
Gary Harrison (27)
Stephen Francis Harrison (31)
Peter Andrew Harrison (15)
David Hawley (39)
James Robert Hennessy (29)
Paul Anthony Hewitson (26)
Carl Darren Hewitt (17)
Nicholas Michael Hewitt (16)
Sarah Louise Hicks (19)
Victoria Jane Hicks (15)
Gordon Rodney Horn (20)
Arthur Horrocks (41)
Thomas Howard (39)
Thomas Anthony Howard (14)
Eric George Hughes (42)
Alan Johnston (29)
Christine Anne Jones (27)
Gary Philip Jones (18)
Richard Jones (25)
Nicholas Peter Joynes (27)
Anthony Peter Kelly (29)
Michael David Kelly (38)
Carl David Lewis (18)
David William Mather (19)
Brian Christopher Mathews (38)
Francis Joseph McAllister (27)
John McBrien (18)
Marion Hazel McCabe (21)
Joseph Daniel McCarthy (21)
Peter McDonnell (21)
Alan McGlone (28)
Keith McGrath (17)
Paul Brian Murray (14)
Lee Nicol (14)
Stephen Francis O’Neill (17)
Jonathon Owens (18)
William Roy Pemberton (23)
Carl William Rimmer (21)
David George Rimmer (38)
Graham John Roberts (24)
Steven Joseph Robinson (17)
Henry Charles Rogers (17)
Colin Andrew Hugh William Sefton (23)
Inger Shah (38)
Paula Ann Smith (26)
Adam Edward Spearritt (14)
Philip John Steele (15)
David Leonard Thomas (23)
Patrik John Thompson (35)
Peter Reuben Thompson (30)
Stuart Paul William Thompson (17)
Peter Francis Tootle (21)
Christopher James Traynor (26)
Martin Kevin Traynor (16)
Kevin Tyrrell (15)
Colin Wafer (19)
Ian David Whelan (19)
Martin Kenneth Wild (29)
Kevin Daniel Williams (15)
Graham John Wright (17)

REST IN PEACE

I didn't realize this until yesterday, but the famous Liverpool-Arsenal game that figured prominently in the movie Fever Pitch and is considered one of the greatest moments in English sports broadcasting history was played in the same season as the Hillsborough tragedy. Originally scheduled for the weekend after the disaster, the game was postponed indefinitely and was played on a Friday night at the end of May as the last game of the season, necessitated because Liverpool had overtaken Arsenal in the table after they had blown a 15 point lead. Going in Liverpool was 3 points up with Arsenal needing both a win and a 2 clear goal difference in the game to take the Championship. The dramatic finish to the game is the stuff they make movies out of, and if you haven't seen Fever Pitch (the real one with Colin Firth and not that Jimmy Fallon remake about some team from Boston) take a look. It's a soccer film wrapped up in a love story and quite worth the effort.