Holy Cross Game... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Holy Cross Game...

Is it me or did Cook have about five unforced turnovers, either sloppy passes or running into double teams.
Tried to do too much and doesn’t take some of the opportunities he has to shoot etc. It’s down to a Lack of confidence and he’s making bad decisions.

I am impressed with Coach March, he really figures out what the Def are doing and makes some great adjustments, he obviously communicates ball rotation and where the open looks will be.

It has been interesting to watch, especially in the last two games against lesser known opponents!

Last edited:
Chase did well Today good to see him back getting 7 goals, but still needs to get to a better angle to shoot from before or after he receives the ball. He seems to shoot with his feet planted. He could have had 10 legit goals today.

What a couple of great goals from Trimbo, he doesn’t get enough credit for the job he has done since day one! His first goal today was highlight real. So difficult to finish that!

And he’s the Duke Killer!

Last edited:
Is it me or did Hiltz's goal look like a "no-look" shot?

Seemed to me like his head was pointed toward the sideline and his peripheral vision at the goal.

Kid has a ton of old school Cuse mojo.

? Had him w 1.

His decision making was off. Seemed like he passed up a few shots, forced a few dodges, and blew that quasi-break/unsettled situation by passing to his left (maybe Berkman) when Ferris on his right was the better option (at least from the home viewers perspective). Hope he is able to settle in, as he has the ability and aggression to be an important piece.

? Had him w 1.
Yeah, I watched the game and although it looks like Cook is struggling a little, I didn't see 5 turnovers. The box score says he had 2. I like Cook on face off wings and getting some ssdm runs.

I am impressed with Coach March, he really figures out what the Def are doing and makes some great adjustments, he obviously communicates ball rotation and where the open looks will be.

It has been interesting to watch, especially in the last two games against lesser known opponents!
Hoping that March is in the conversation for the next head coach when Desko retires? The early reports on recruiting and game day coaching all seem very positive.

agree. Offense is fluid, unselfish, quick to find the open shots, tough on rides, but most impressively the players' passing can be so rapid that it's is difficult to follow the ball. At times they make the game look easy when it is not. I look forward to ACC games to determine whether the opposition can disrupt the offensive flow.

agree. Offense is fluid, unselfish, quick to find the open shots, tough on rides, but most impressively the players' passing can be so rapid that it's is difficult to follow the ball. At times they make the game look easy when it is not. I look forward to ACC games to determine whether the opposition can disrupt the offensive flow.
2nd mids had a nice sequence of passing that culminated with Seebold assisting on a Scanlan goal. If 2nd mids can continue to score or assist on goals consistently it will make 1st mids that much more effective as defenses wont be able rest when 2nd mids are on the field.

2nd mids had a nice sequence of passing that culminated with Seebold assisting on a Scanlan goal. If 2nd mids can continue to score or assist on goals consistently it will make 1st mids that much more effective as defenses wont be able rest when 2nd mids are on the field.
Agreed. I think the 2s looked good and got a lot of good shots vs. HC. I still don't know why they aren't inverting a little more, but maybe that's a strategy they'll use vs. the ACC teams

With Syracuse completing their fifth game of the season, I thought it would be worthwhile to compare where SU stands now, as opposed to where they were at in 2020, when their fifth game of the season was their last. Obviously the biggest difference is the Orange have a loss and sit at 4-1, as opposed to the perfect season they had last year. But I am struck, that, despite playing only one overlapping opponent to last year (Army), the stats are so familiar.

SU scored three more goals last year than they have this year (83-80), and they've converted one less man up opportunity as opposed to last year, in the same amount of opportunities (5-12 to 4-12). They have two more assists on the year (43-45) and their shooting % is better this year (32%-34%). They are also giving up less man-up opportunities than last year (20-16) and have a better man-down percentage (40%-37%). Lastly, turnovers are down by 8 from last year, which I think is a pretty big improvement (68-60), but they've caused four less than last year (49-45).

The big difference from last year to this is goals allowed (47-56) which really comes down to the Army game and face-off win percentage is down an alarming 13% points, but that is mostly due to the rough day against UVM. Related to face-offs is the downturn in groundballs - last year SU picked up 206 and lost out on 152. This year they have picked up only 177 and lost out on 168, a much closer ratio. A lot of those are probably due to the face-offs not being quite as strong this year, but it is still an area that needs work.

Goalie play is remarkably consistent with Porter stopping almost the same amount of shots (64-65), and has almost the identical save percentage with 57.7% last year compared to 57% this year. His GAA is up to 10.6 from 9.6 though.

On the offensive side of the ball, a lot of the main players have very similar stats to last year. Rhefuss has five more points than last year, but is much more evenly distributed between goals and assists (and he's putting up points in every game, most of his scoring in '20 came in two games). Many thought Scanlan has been struggling this year but he's only off three points from last year's pace. Curry and Dordevic have one and two fewer points than last year. The big difference for the starters is Hiltz has basically taken Trimboli's production from last year, and Trimboli has taken Cook's. Trimboli put up an astounding 20 points last year in just five games, Hiltz has 23. This year Trimboli has nine points, the exact same amount as Cook last year. I think this better balances the attack and midfield and is a welcomed development. I also think that Trimboli can still have a breakout game this year that has thus-far eluded him.

The second midfield has gotten a lot flack this year, but Quinn and Seebold have been pretty consistent this year as compared to last year. The top two point getters on last year's unit, Lipka and Quinn combined for 12 points last year, this year Quinn and Seebold have combined for 13 points. The problem is that third spot in the lineup. Buttermore had 4 points last year (and we thought he might be struggling), but so far this year the combo of Buttermore and Cook have just one goal. That seems like something that really needs to be addressed.

Overall the Orange have been remarkably consistent. I even think this slate of games has been trickier, with the victory over UVA overshadowing any win last year. Face-offs and scoring depth need to be addressed. Is this team better than last years? I know having the loss to Army stings, but I do think this team has improved. Owen Hiltz's addition has been huge to leveling the balance between the attack and midfield. He's not only productive but a future All-American. Also adding Wykoff has been a huge addition, not just in his ability, but for allowing Kennedy to move to his preferred position. I am not sure how he will fare against Gray, Sowers and Kavanaugh but so far he's been great. Team still needs work, but I see a real contender in the 2021 Syracuse Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom