High Point Gameday... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

High Point Gameday...

Final stats:

Final JP Lax.JPG

How come no hottle runs or even kellog runs? Also give tenaglia a try please. He’s got speed and nice shot dude scored everytime he comes in reserve time and was believe leading scorer for wherever he came from. Where was roha today? think seen roha take 1 shot? Why isn’t he trying to release that cannon? Gonna chalk it up to game weds why they played so poorly for half of the game. But they play like that vs hopkins next week anit gonna be pretty. Really need to step up the hustle for gbs and limit mistakes while burying our shots. Def need this game vs hopkins.

I’d like the move to cacameo on pverbeke as he didn’t do anything when cacameo was on him plus he cause turnover on him. Fig is good and course young but doesn’t have the speed or experience with the faster more experienced attackers. I’d have cacameo or dwan on them n fig on others. hopkins loves the two man pick game plus a lot of offball movement so 1 def NO caden kol out there. 2 need to communicate better with off ballmovemnt.

Glad to see hiltz finally dodge to score. Still had some lack of effort plays on gbs like he refuses to pick them up if guy is on him or gonna pound his hands. But he least looked like what he did freshman year. I still don’t understand why titus doesn’t get a shot he’s got experience n actually plays dmid while rest are freshmen or still learning. Also like to see schmidt or puckhaber or whatever get some runs at Lsm so not just wearing down same dudes so end of year their toast. Seems as defense gets tired gets ugly fast specially if not dominating faceoffs or offense isn’t putting ball in net. Fresh legs can go long way even if early in games.

Did it mean anything that Hiltz was out with the backups? He never left the field. One last hurrah on senior day? Perhaps someone was injured and they didn’t have enough back ups. Just struck me as odd that he was the only starter out there.

Did it mean anything that Hiltz was out with the backups? He never left the field. One last hurrah on senior day? Perhaps someone was injured and they didn’t have enough back ups. Just struck me as odd that he was the only starter out there.

Senior day. (Unless he likes grad school).

Wanted a vet leader out there with all the young pups.

Some observations from the heartland:
-Today we saw the Hiltz that showed so much promise in his freshmen year. Maybe it was the fact that his parents were in the stands. Maybe we should invite them to more games.
-Trujillo has a lot of heart but big middies are owning him. It's just too easy to get a shot off over him, especially when they've got a step on him.
-It was good to see both FOGOs involved, especially in a high-scoring game. Mullin is for real. I like the fact that both of them seem to have an instinct for getting out of trouble when they have the ball. Some of our FOGOs in the past--even the good ones--didn't have that instinct.
-It was nice to see Tenaglia score. Didn't he originally transfer to SU from High Point where he was a leading scorer? I suspect he would be starting for a lot of mid-majors.
-Mark is okay. I think a lot of the goals that go in are a result of our defenders being close enough to the shooter to screen for him but not close enough to get into his hands.
-Communication on defense is still a huge problem. Picks around the crease are an issue that needs to get solved before SU faces the ACC.

-It was nice to see Tenaglia score. Didn't he originally transfer to SU from High Point where he was a leading scorer? I suspect he would be starting for a lot of mid-majors.

Furman.

Some observations from the heartland:
-Today we saw the Hiltz that showed so much promise in his freshmen year. Maybe it was the fact that his parents were in the stands. Maybe we should invite them to more games.
-Trujillo has a lot of heart but big middies are owning him. It's just too easy to get a shot off over him, especially when they've got a step on him.
-It was good to see both FOGOs involved, especially in a high-scoring game. Mullin is for real. I like the fact that both of them seem to have an instinct for getting out of trouble when they have the ball. Some of our FOGOs in the past--even the good ones--didn't have that instinct.
-Mark is okay. I think a lot of the goals that go in are a result of our defenders being close enough to the shooter to screen for him but not close enough to get into his hands.
-Communication on defense is still a huge problem. Picks around the crease are an issue that needs to get solved before SU faces the ACC.
Defense is a half step behind tonight.

O did what we know they can do against comp like this. Even the part in the second quarter where they were not scoring, the looks they were getting were still good. Problems came when we were impatient and settled for a poor angle shot early in the shot clock instead of waiting for a better one.

I know the game thread is the game thread but some people get carried away with the criticism on that end. We changed up the EMO, but it is not always right to make a ton of tweaks to lineups or strategy after the first time the scoring slows down. They had faith the starters would turn it around and they did. They have been close as hell in these tough games. Even against tough comp, it is more issues with finishing and shooting than us getting to the end of the shot clock without a decent opportunity. They need to turn it on and make a statement next week.

D gave up a disappointing amount of goals. Their main man got a ton of points because they were doing everything in their power to get him matched up on a different defender when they could. Also set a bunch of picks for him all through his dodging. Some were in interesting areas to generate looks. Others were borderline moving picks with one I was shocked was not called. Didn’t see anything too bad from Figueras but sometimes I thought we were to casual about letting the matchup switch. There were 2-3 goals off of weird offball miscommunication which has fortunately not been a severe issue against tougher comp. Definitely some things to go over going into next week.

Was at the game yesterday.

A few observations:

1) We have a lot of team speed and offensive skills - best I've seen our team in a bunch of years - but we don't execute well against physical defenses. HP had huge defensive lapses.

2) Spallina continues to show up when it matters least. He's the quietest, least visible multi-goal scorer I can remember

3) Mark played well I thought. Most of the goals against were on the defense. I don't think his stats at roughly 50% reflected his play - he deserved better and was seeing the ball well

4) Defense has to play better if they want to beat Hop next week. HP offense was impressive and went on run up to 9-8. It was the offense that relieved the pressure in the 3rd, not the D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom