Home and home scheduled with Maryland... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Home and home scheduled with Maryland...

Your fans are conditioned by teams that are not very good and the likelihood that they see a loss.

This last sentence is where I think you are mistaken. SU fans view the last ten years as being the anomaly. We're accustomed to playing a good schedule and beating a lot of those teams. SU fans don't want to give up annual chances to beat Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, Auburn, Texas, etc. These are the games that SU fans get up for because conference games have been a short-lived event, or boring as hell.

And lets face it, if we were basing this on just the last ten years, Clemson and FSU would not have energized folks as much as you would like either. No disrespect, but that's the truth. So SU fans are going to have to get used to playing a conference schedule (again), and to winning, again.

But don't sleep on us.

I understand what you're saying...but whether you plan on losing or not is not really relevant. The school with the better athletes, higher paid coaching staffs and more resources are going to win most of the time. Yes, if you schedule enough games as underdogs, you'll bit a team here or there. But in the end, you can't beat those odds on a regular basis. That's why you book one game you can make a statement in, and have a chance to win. If you're a dog, that's ok. Then you book three wins.

I don't think you'd have any trouble getting MAC or Sunbelt teams to play Syracuse if you pay them or gave them a return visit. I can't believe it's that difficult. You're telling me Maryland will give Syracuse a home and home but Ohio or Akron won't? That doesn't make sense.

I get what you're saying about the fans, but a string of 8-10 win seasons can change that. Your fans are conditioned by teams that are not very good and the likelihood that they see a loss.

Most of our fans are conditioned to not pay attention until week 1 and have no idea what games we should or shouldn't win. MAC teams are a pain because they aren't that appealing on the schedule but half of them can bite you in the a$$ any given year. The last 2 MAC teams we had in the dome drew similar to the last 2 CAA teams so I'd prefer them. The reason UMD is optimal vs MAC teams is the large alumni base we have close to college park. It's a good return trip not sacrificing a scrub return trip to get a decent home game.

Regardless, our schedule next year is shaping up in a way I think we can both agree on:

Notre Dame @ Metlife, Maryland @ home, Nova @ home, and a ? game that shouldn't be a world beater. If we can't beat Maryland at home, we don't deserve to be in a bowl.

Then I hope Pitt has the sense to schedule correctly and they can get to the next level. This conference needs more out of the Northeast.

Pitt loves playing ND (which is technically OOC) and would love even more to renew their PSU series. Probably only a matter of time before the backyard brawl is renewed.

Maybe the league can add UConn. They'd be happy to schedule 4 FCS games per year.

This discounts the insanely hilarious position that we can't get to the next level by scheduling Maryland. God Save the Queen.

You might want to look in the mirror my friend, FSU's schedule has to many Waffords and Citadels and not enough quality OOC games.

FSU is not following that blueprint in 2014

Oklahoma St. @ Jerry World
Citadel
Florida
Notre Dame

Citadel
Florida
Notre Dame

Syracuse is not on FSU's level yet. They shouldn't be scheduling the same. And, importantly, FSU doesn't have to play FSU.

FSU also has some reason to be concerned with SOS in regard to playoffs. Syracuse does not, yet.

All that said, yes, that is NOT a smart schedule for FSU, and FSU fans that get it would agree. They should not be playing Notre Dame and OSU in the same year.

But it just kind of worked out that way with circumstances. That is the definite exception to the way they schedule.

Citadel
Florida
Notre Dame

I think I misunderstood that you were criticizing me for advocating a different schedule philosophy than FSU takes. Sorry, you might have been defending them from the "too many Woffords" accusation.

In reality, they schedule the right amount of Woffords, except that WVU pulling out of the series left us high and dry and we had to take what we could get. We ended up with a schedule too weak the last two seasons, and two strong next season.

Of course, if we all followed good scheduling guidelines, we'd have strength of schedule IN the conference like what happens with the Big 12 and other conferences. There's a good chance NC State will be ranked when they play us, because they didn't schedule any likely losses OOC. If Virginia didn't have Oregon this weekend, they might have been ranked by the time they play Miami.

I strongly believe there is a correlation between the ACC usually faring more poorly than other conferences out of conference, and the fact that they are the only ones that consistently schedule many, many games every season that they go into as big underdogs. No other conference does that.

I strongly believe there is a correlation between the ACC usually faring more poorly than other conferences out of conference, and the fact that they are the only ones that consistently schedule many, many games every season that they go into as big underdogs. No other conference does that.

Did I miss a post where you quantified that?

Seriously, I'm sincerely asking.

Because I'm skeptical without proof.

I'm sorry, is this a discussion about how scheduling MARYLAND means SU is overscheduling?!

Because I may have slipped and hit my head or something but i think this is a discussion about overscheduling by signing a deal with MARYLAND.

Thank you. I thought I was the only one going crazy there.

I like who we schedule, I'm just less than impressed in the order we schedule them. Had we opened with Wagner week 1 and Tulsa week 2 we'd have been in a lot better shape v Penn State week 3 or 4. Had we beaten Penn State, this conversation wouldn't even be happening and you'd be more excited we had that W vs a W against SE Conn school of cosmetology.
THIS. Although I wouldn't go quite that far and insist on a straight easiest to hardest OOC sequence, we should never agree to a schedule where there's a chance we could be 0-2. That's a season-killer.

If it was legal, I'd make anyone associated with scheduling take a pay cut during any season we start with two losses. That should get their attention. Maybe a scaled bonus system based on how many consecutive wins we start the season with?

Did I miss a post where you quantified that?

Seriously, I'm sincerely asking.

Because I'm skeptical without proof.

I saw it for last year, and it wasn't even close. I can't find it now, it was on a message board. But here you go, off the top of my head, here are a sampling of OOC opponents for this year for the ACC. Tell me if on the face of it, it isn't clear that the ACC schedules more difficult OOC games than anyone.

#1 Alabama
#3 Oregon
#5 Georgia
# 5 Georgia
#6 South Carolina
#6 South Carolina
#10 Florida
#10 Florida

So that's eight games right there against half the preseason top 10.

Plus...

#14 Notre Dame
#22 Northwestern
#24 USC
Penn State
BYU
BYU

That's eleven games against the top 25, plus three more against strong teams Penn State and BYU.

Do you really think there's another conference anywhere near that? It seems pretty self-evident without looking them all up.

Just for comparison...the Big 12:

#12 LSU
#14 Notre Dame
BYU

I think I misunderstood that you were criticizing me for advocating a different schedule philosophy than FSU takes. Sorry, you might have been defending them from the "too many Woffords" accusation.

In reality, they schedule the right amount of Woffords, except that WVU pulling out of the series left us high and dry and we had to take what we could get. We ended up with a schedule too weak the last two seasons, and two strong next season.

Of course, if we all followed good scheduling guidelines, we'd have strength of schedule IN the conference like what happens with the Big 12 and other conferences. There's a good chance NC State will be ranked when they play us, because they didn't schedule any likely losses OOC. If Virginia didn't have Oregon this weekend, they might have been ranked by the time they play Miami.

Lou, FSU has a legitimate chance to make a run at a national title this year. The fact that you're so emotionally invested in Syracuse's scheduling (which is perfectly fine - shoot me the day we ever become Kansas State) is kind of weird.

Syracuse is not on FSU's level yet. They shouldn't be scheduling the same. And, importantly, FSU doesn't have to play FSU.

FSU also has some reason to be concerned with SOS in regard to playoffs. Syracuse does not, yet.

All that said, yes, that is NOT a smart schedule for FSU, and FSU fans that get it would agree. They should not be playing Notre Dame and OSU in the same year.
Just to clarify, people who agree with you "get it" and people who have a differing view just don't "get it"? I'm just trying to get a read on your discussion style.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Lou, FSU has a legitimate chance to make a run at a national title this year. The fact that you're so emotionally invested in Syracuse's scheduling (which is perfectly fine - shoot me the day we ever become Kansas State) is kind of weird.

In fairness to Lou, I believe he is a dazed-and-crazed ACC-crusader. And, good for him. It does have the potential to become of the top BCS-conferences.

However, if ANY of the conference-brethren are to be WARY of MARYLAND we can frickin' hang this crap up. WHAT school in the conference is CAUTIOUS of MARYLAND. I highly doubt that FSU, CU, GT, sc(UM), NCSU, UNC, WAKE, UVA, VPI&SU, BC, PITT or CUSE would sign up for that Big-Ol'-Bag-O-Magical-Crap, fresh from our Golden Domer part-timers.

Dook doesn't count as we know they are really just killing time between basketball seasons.

I'm sorry, is this a discussion about how scheduling MARYLAND means SU is overscheduling?!

Because I may have slipped and hit my head or something but i think this is a discussion about overscheduling by signing a deal with MARYLAND.

Remarkable isn't it?

If scheduling Maryland OOC is a bad idea, then I'm not sure I want to be in the ACC anyway. Go 4-0 against an FCS/mid major OOC and suddenly, we can win 4 ACC games and have 8 win seasons.

Schedule Maryland, and you're ruining the northeast football segment of the ACC because we're lucky to be on par with the NC States of the world and will only win 7 games I guess?

This thread turned into one of the worst discussions ever. And led by a fan of a college football powerhouse. Unfortunate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

Remarkable isn't it?

If scheduling Maryland OOC is a bad idea, then I'm not sure I want to be in the ACC anyway. Go 4-0 against an FCS/mid major OOC and suddenly, we can win 4 ACC games and have 8 win seasons.

Schedule Maryland, and you're ruining the northeast football segment of the ACC because we're lucky to be on par with the NC States of the world and will only win 7 games I guess?

This thread turned into one of the worst discussions ever. And led by a fan of a college football powerhouse. Unfortunate.

I think many have accepted the proposition that we could be "more like the SEC" in OCC scheduling. That comes AFTER you have won 7 back-to-back national championships. Yes, we all are fairly sure of how they are doing it...forget that...we do know exactly how they are doing it. The NCAA (essentially) allowing AU to BUY the 2010 NC.

The point being that the ACC will never be seen at that level until we schedule, and BEAT topnotch opponents. No, that doesn't mean that Cuse should be held to the same expectations as FSU and CU...yet. But why would you turn away games from the B1G, Notre Dame, USCw, etc. One victory over those opponents is attention-worthy.

Ironically, FSU internet fans are scandalized that we, and GT, were placed in separate divisions. After all, the largest stronghold of FSU Alumni (outside the State of Florida) is centered around Atlanta. But Cuse, you should ignore your not-insignificant Alumni base in the Metro DC area and the impact on your recruiting.

Schedule less, for success. I guess.

Lou is originally from Upstate NY...he'll be one of our interested opponents. Lou is good for the board as he gets us to put down the kool-aid and discuss issues (sometimes down the wrong track but still he adds something positive here).

I think many have accepted the proposition that we could be "more like the SEC" in OCC scheduling. That comes AFTER you have won 7 back-to-back national championships. Yes, we all are fairly sure of how they are doing it...forget that...we do know exactly how they are doing it. The NCAA (essentially) allowing AU to BUY the 2010 NC.

The point being that the ACC will never be seen at that level until we schedule, and BEAT topnotch opponents. No, that doesn't mean that Cuse should be held to the same expectations as FSU and CU...yet. But why would you turn away games from the B1G, Notre Dame, USCw, etc. One victory over those opponents is attention-worthy.

Ironically, FSU internet fans are scandalized that we, and GT, were placed in separate divisions. After all, the largest stronghold of FSU Alumni (outside the State of Florida) is centered around Atlanta. But Cuse, you should ignore your not-insignificant Alumni base in the Metro DC area and the impact on your recruiting.

Schedule less, for success. I guess.

See, many FSU fans "don't get it" either. Scheduling weak OOC doesn't come AFTER winning championships, it helps you get there.

I understand my "get it" and "don't get it" is obnoxious, but I don't know what else to call it. Name one program in the last 25 years that used the philosophy of scheduling multiple difficult OOC games to elevate themselves from a bad team to a good team or a good team to a great team. All the recent history supports what I'm saying. Nothing supports the opposite, that continuously playing tough out of conference games helps you take your team to the next level.

As for a dazed-and-crazed ACC crusader, that is funny. I'd have FSU on the next train to the SEC if we had a ticket, and never look back. I'd head off to the Big 12 if GT, Miami, and VT were interested in going with us. I've spent most of the last decade hating the ACC. I have had little faith in the future of this conference from a football standpoint for years.

However, we're in for the long haul. I'm putting that behind me, because there are several things that actually have me optimistic about this conference getting serious about football, and doing the things that conferences serious about football do. I care about Syracuse and Virginia and BC's schedule, because I want FSU to have more than ONE freaking ranked conference opponent every year. I don't love the ACC, but a bad ACC, even just a PERCEIVED bad ACC hurts FSU in multiple ways.

That said, obviously I'm not making any friends. I can't be convinced I'm wrong about this, unless someone can start listing the teams and conferences in the last 25 years that have built themselves to the next level scheduling tough out of conference. And I obviously can't change the mind of people that are emotionally attached to a certain kind of schedule at all costs.

I'm a guest here, and I'm obviously pissing people off, so I'm just dropping it. Obviously, the next several years will show us the trajectory of the programs that schedule one way over the other way. A quarter century of history is pretty clear the way it will play out.

I'm sorry if I've offended people with my tone, so I'll drop it on this board.

all good lou.

seems to me that the problem you found is....since Syracuse is new to a bigger and better schedule...AND has nd already lined up OOC, why bother with another BCS program??

yes??

now that alone is not a bad premiss.

the problem many here had was that maryland, whether right or wrong, is basically a have not program in our eyes...so why not put them on?? in theory it should be a win, so it will help all.

you counter...thats not a guaranteed win. cant say youre wrong.

also, count Syracuse fans as probably the only school pissed maryland left for the b1g. we were looking at guaranteed easy roadies to bc, pitt and maryland.

thats gone now. plus, the keystone st will always be viewed as ped st and by extension b1g territory, throw in the garden st and whatever the F maryland is nicknamed...which means us, bc and pitt are cut off as the b1g pushes Springsteen aside to dip its Fn toe in the Atlantic.

not good.

jiminy christmas, the only school left that would geographically fit to add a northern presence...is storz...and theyre Fn useless.

so excuse our anger and questions.

Lou...see Kaiser.

You're welcomed to post topics like this anytime. I understand where you are coming from. I've felt our 4 OOC games should be: 1 P5 Big Boy team, 1 middling but beatable P5 team (could sub in an AAC team here), Service Academy Team, MAC dreck or rarely a 1AA. Worst case 2-2, most years 3-1, great years 4-0.

See, many FSU fans "don't get it" either. Scheduling weak OOC doesn't come AFTER winning championships, it helps you get there.

I understand my "get it" and "don't get it" is obnoxious, but I don't know what else to call it. Name one program in the last 25 years that used the philosophy of scheduling multiple difficult OOC games to elevate themselves from a bad team to a good team or a good team to a great team. All the recent history supports what I'm saying. Nothing supports the opposite, that continuously playing tough out of conference games helps you take your team to the next level.

As for a dazed-and-crazed ACC crusader, that is funny. I'd have FSU on the next train to the SEC if we had a ticket, and never look back. I'd head off to the Big 12 if GT, Miami, and VT were interested in going with us. I've spent most of the last decade hating the ACC. I have had little faith in the future of this conference from a football standpoint for years.

However, we're in for the long haul. I'm putting that behind me, because there are several things that actually have me optimistic about this conference getting serious about football, and doing the things that conferences serious about football do. I care about Syracuse and Virginia and BC's schedule, because I want FSU to have more than ONE freaking ranked conference opponent every year. I don't love the ACC, but a bad ACC, even just a PERCEIVED bad ACC hurts FSU in multiple ways.

That said, obviously I'm not making any friends. I can't be convinced I'm wrong about this, unless someone can start listing the teams and conferences in the last 25 years that have built themselves to the next level scheduling tough out of conference. And I obviously can't change the mind of people that are emotionally attached to a certain kind of schedule at all costs.

I'm a guest here, and I'm obviously pissing people off, so I'm just dropping it. Obviously, the next several years will show us the trajectory of the programs that schedule one way over the other way. A quarter century of history is pretty clear the way it will play out.

I'm sorry if I've offended people with my tone, so I'll drop it on this board.

In short, you see Maryland as a power player, we don't. If that is all the difference, it will be resolved on the field.

I'd like this years schedule better if SU didn't play basically 2 road games vs Big 10 schools. If next years schedule is ND, Home vs Maryland and 2 Tulane/Wagner type teams I'm all for it. I do not not want to play 2 away Big 5 schools in a season.

Last edited:
Lou is originally from Upstate NY...he'll be one of our interested opponents. Lou is good for the board as he gets us to put down the kool-aid and discuss issues (sometimes down the wrong track but still he adds something positive here).

Lou should stick around. I like his posts, I just think he swung and, best case, foul tipped on this one.

If SU added Penn State in a season that already had ND, then yes, not very smart.

Adding Maryland to the OOC as either the #1 or #2 OOC opponent is fine, and welcomed. Assuming 3 and 4 will be MAC/Con USA/FCS types.

I agree with the poster above who say that the discussion is all good.

Regarding ND, didn't we beat them 2 out of 3 during our worst decade? Was that bad scheduling? I sure didn't think so. Yes ND is improved right now, but that only shows that things change. Teams get better, teams get worse. It's all cyclical.

Ok, well I will acknowledge two specific disconnects on this.

First, that you guys actually WANT to play Maryland specifically. To me, I can't stand Maryland. Nobody in the ACC other than Coach K appeared to care about them. But they can beat you. But if that game has some extra special meeting for Syracuse, then that should be considered.

Second, there is a disconnect between where I think you guys are and where you guys think you are. I see you guys as being a solid underdog to Maryland. You guys see Maryland as a game you should definitely win. So we'll let the season play out. If you guys win 8-9 games and Maryland wins 4, then your evaluation of what kind of game the Maryland game is will be more accurate than mine. I'm seeing you guys struggling to get to bowl eligibility this year, and Maryland winning 8-9 games. To me, you can beat Maryland next year, but they should beat you.

I hope I'm very wrong. Hell, I'll be pulling for you guys today, and if you win that game that could change my perspective. While I think historically as a program Maryland is a team Syracuse as an institution should beat pretty easily, I don't see that where you are as a program right now with your athletes. But you guys should know better than me, so we'll let the season play out and I'll root to be wrong.

Anyway, while it's possible depending on how the season plays out that I'm wrong specifically on the Maryland thing with specifically Syracuse, I still believe strongly in the scheduling philosophy that I'm talking about in the general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom