Honest question outside of McDonald will HCSS fire any coaches this offseason? | Syracusefan.com

Honest question outside of McDonald will HCSS fire any coaches this offseason?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Gross sadly won't terminate Scott Shafer's tenure as HC. However do we have any reason to believe SS will actually make any significant changes to his offensive staff? If he only loses McDonald he is saying the problem is the talent. Well if the problem is the talent and our recruiting class isn't great I can't see us winning 3 more games next year.

The status quo is the problem something has to change.

Alsacs said:
Gross sadly won't terminate Scott Shafer's tenure as HC. However do we have any reason to believe SS will actually make any significant changes to his offensive staff? If he only loses McDonald he is saying the problem is the talent. Well if the problem is the talent and our recruiting class isn't great I can't see us winning 3 more games next year. The status quo is the problem something has to change.
I wish he'd fire everyone. But barring that, there's no one on the offensive side of the ball worth keeping.

Bobby Acosta TE coach should be asked back. He has shown recruiting chops in NJ the second most important state we recruit in. The rest of the offensive coaches OL/RB/QB/OC have been mediocre at best. If McDonald would stay I would keep him as he has recruiting chops as well.

No improvement without a QB. They do not have a D-1 QB on campus. Will the Fla mystery man prove competent? The OR flash.
SU is in a QB drought extending so far back it's hard to remenber the last good quarterback. Improvement relying on freshman is
not a winning prop. We need a miracle.

Who does strength and conditioning? They really need to look at their training processes given all the injuries. Key question: Was it all coincidence or is there something that could have been done with off-season S&C to prevent the injuries.

... do we have any reason to believe SS will actually make any significant changes to his offensive staff?

This is THE question. And the answer to it, should be applied to the results we see in the first 6-9 games next year. Here are some ways it could play out:
  • Makes no big moves, and goes sub-.500 in the first 9 games
  • Makes big moves, and goes sub-.500 in the first 9 games
  • Makes no big moves, and goes .500 + in the first 9 games
  • Makes big moves, and goes .500 + in the first 9 games
  • Or, somewhere in between on all 4. I.e. medium-sized moves, and just barely .500 with 'that game' that could have gone either way.

I don't know why, but I have a nagging suspicion that he won't make significant changes. Maybe I feel this way because I believe what's been said on the board that he's hired more from his inner circle than from the best available candidates. I shouldn't feel this way b/c of the way he demoted McDonald. That was a big boy move. Ultimately, it changed nothing, but it was a big move. So, he should be someone whom will make more big moves. However, I have this nagging feeling he won't. I feel like he'll stake his future on 'his friends', and hope that they'll save his career with a decent showing in the first 6-9 games next year.

The OL is a disaster.
Offensive coordination is disastrous.

What Shafer does or does not do should be weighed heavly with the results of that action or inaction. Whatever happens, there will be results.

I think everyone will be asked back. And I'd expect one guy to decline that offer.

Continuity in staff can be a good thing, even after tough years. But I still can't believe that our OL coach never coaching an OL was something that passed right by me. Or maybe I just didn't want to believe it. Alarms should be going off.

No improvement without a QB. They do not have a D-1 QB on campus. Will the Fla mystery man prove competent? The OR flash.
SU is in a QB drought extending so far back it's hard to remenber the last good quarterback. Improvement relying on freshman is
QB drought? We have a pro with the Giants who played here two years ago.

That guy on the Giants wasn't bad

We are two days removed from our last game. My question is when is McDonald going to be canned or going to leave voluntarily? Seems strange that nothing has yet happened on what was supposed to be the most expected change to happen.

We are two days removed from our last game. My question is when is McDonald going to be canned or going to leave voluntarily? Seems strange that nothing has yet happened on what was supposed to be the most expected change to happen.

Maybe McDonald doesn't want to quit?

that's been my thinking for some time. 99% of posters though think it's a no-brainer he's leaving one way or another.

No one will be let go and McDonald is still up in the air, imo.

He needs to find a job first, Shafer will give him time to look while he scouts around for his replacement. I hope it is not another friend.

If the only coach replaced is George McDonald that might be the straw that break's the camel and Syracuse can do without my money.

that's been my thinking for some time. 99% of posters though think it's a no-brainer he's leaving one way or another.

I've always wanted to be one of the 1%. Now that I am I gotta tell you, I don't feel any different than I did Saturday afternoon.

Do you believe that?

I think someone got to him about being professional. So he did, and rode this out.

But that initial reaction, that's the one I can't get past. And that's the one that says there's no way he stays here to be WR coach unless we're paying him much more than anyone else would.

SUinNYC said:
I wish he'd fire everyone. But barring that, there's no one on the offensive side of the ball worth keeping.

I don't think you've watched a game this season. If your d finishes in the top 35, you don't get rid of the defensive coaches.

I don't think you've watched a game this season. If your d finishes in the top 35, you don't get rid of the defensive coaches.
No, you don't. But the defensive coaches will be fielding offers from other programs --
We tend to assume the high performing assistants will want to stay put.

perfect storm brewing- our dc gets a big time gig and takes a few of the assistants that understand football

and nothing changes on offense

No one will be let go and McDonald is still up in the air, imo.

Firing McDonald is about the most ineffectual offseason move Shafer can make.