Hooville Postgame thoughts... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Hooville Postgame thoughts...

i really wanna like Red, I really do.

As a player, as a man, as a family guy...he's great.

but as far as coaching - what I would like to see - is an innovator, an X's and O's guy - someone like a shaka smart, nate oats, jay wright, tony bennett...a guy with a clear strategic vision who knows how to implement it...

and at this point i'll be shocked if Red can be that type of coach...isnt the point of staying in house the benefit of continuity? im not seeing how continuity is beneficial at this point.

he can still turn it around and be successful...but it'll be because he can get good talent ...( think he relates to players at an elite level...they want to play for him (at least come to his team)) ...not because he can outstrategize opponents, imo.

I want a mastermind coach.

Bennett was a 500 coach his first years at UVa, same for Wright at Villanova. When Shaka stepped up to Texas he was a shade under 500 his first two years.

We had a mastermind coach, one of the best ever. Didn't get the top guys any more and that's that.

Yeah, I agree. I also think JT defers too often, looking to pass first when shooting should be his first instinct. He thinks he’s being coached by Norman Dale and needs to get those four passes before looking at the hoop.
He's going to have to really put in the work, but if he wants to, Taylor can replace Lydon as the guy known for shot faking his way out of good looks.

He's really going to have to want it, though.

Nothing new to add. Just really frustrated at how we lost that game. Thought there was improvement at LSU. Thought we started off well, like Tennessee. But went completely flat, like Tennessee. Frustrating. Have to give credit to UVA, for taking us out of whatever the heck our O is, & nailing the wide open shots we left them.

Red has made it clear that they have spent more time on defense than offense. And it has shown quite well, except for keeping it going on an extended basis.

Offense, regardless of what is taught, will not be effective until someone(s) can score well enough to take some of the attention away from Judah. What UVA did with him will be a pattern for similar defense for the whole ACC.

Red has his hands full from many angles and I think it's unfair to think he can correct all the issues we know need help, overnight. As some have suggested, let's see what it looks like by the middle of February.

Wasn’t that suppose to be Judah? He got absolutely owned by Beekman today. We looked mentally soft.
Judah was not owned by Beekman. The whole team loaded up on him to keep him out of the paint. He needs some guys to make shots and get some good screens. The bugs set poor screens and failed to roll, leaving Judah with double team action. He can’t do it all by himself. Keep running the same stuff with no success.

I’m tired of this notion that we have to rebuild. We could’ve cleaned house with 80% of this roster and went outside the JB tree but we didn’t want to hurt feelings. I guess the feelings of the fan base don’t matter though.
I don’t think multi-year rebuilds are even a thing anymore. Just get one or two stars from the portal and make sure to have the right role players. There’s really no excuse for top programs to have down years anymore given the free agency.

Bennett was a 500 coach his first years at UVa, same for Wright at Villanova. When Shaka stepped up to Texas he was a shade under 500 his first two years.

We had a mastermind coach, one of the best ever. Didn't get the top guys any more and that's that.
We were spoiled by having a HOF coach for 5 decades. He had an ability to get the most out of his guys and do more with less. This is definitely an adjustment for us as fans.

One of my main takeaways was Judah not matching iron with iron. As soon as he knew he had a great defender on him, he deferred, seemed uninterested in pulling out everything he's got. You know FIRE. He's seemed to have that in the past but I don't know...
Did you not see that the whole defense was focused on Judah? Need other guys to step up, make shots. He tried not to force things. And they kept on running the same stuff unsuccessfully.

I’m convinced Judah isn’t a go to guy. He’s going to have big games that give the appearance of a pro. His ppg are largely connected to his free throws. He’s a below average shooter, poor defender, and doesn’t elevate the team. I’m so tired of watching him and others complain to the refs when they force up garbage. Love Judah and I’m glad he’s back playing for us, but he isn’t the best player on a top 25 team.
He would actually look better on a top 25 team.

He's going to have to really put in the work, but if he wants to, Taylor can replace Lydon as the guy known for shot faking his way out of good looks.

He's really going to have to want it, though.
He needs to incorporate the fake and drive more like Bell has this year. But in order for that to be successful he must actually shoot right away once in awhile. And make a few.

its funny, our defense turned to crap after the announcer said he was impressed with our m2m - we had our normal end of half collapse and the team just gave up

i don't think a team led by Judah Mintz will ever be a consistent winner... just my two cents.
Yesterday they doubled Judah every time he crossed center court and it seemed like not one of our guys other than Taylor was able to get open for a pass. Judah didn’t have a good game but the defense the put on him would be very difficult for any point guard to have a good game.

Did you not see that the whole defense was focused on Judah? Need other guys to step up, make shots. He tried not to force things. And they kept on running the same stuff unsuccessfully.
He and the team better get used to the entire defense focused on him, the whole world knows we can't shoot as a team. It didn't stop him before (forcing things) when no one else was scoring.

Last edited:
what "capital" did Red have this offesason? relationships.

he went to the well he had - previous relationships with former recruits...there's a reason they were in the portal, though...

it can still come together this year...end of January should be much different...

gotta remember there is still time

westry might be the missing piece needed...
You don’t get boatraced like that and have a missing piece, we’re missing a lot.

He better get used to the entire defense focused on him, the whole world knows we can't shoot as a team. It didn't stop him before (forcing things) when no one else was scoring.
I think teams are respecting his shot, but they’re also not going to let him drive to the hoop and get fouled and keep us in the game.

The good thing is that the easy way to beat us is throw everyone at Judah and Virginia has made the roadmap and they did it every year they put even a little pressure on Joe when he ran the point and he couldn’t handle it, yet NO other ACC must’ve watched the tape because nobody followed the same plan.

Virginia’s defense is what I think Red wants to emulate. Unfortunately, our team was recruited to play zone this is NOT Red’s desired players for the system he wants to run.

It’s going to take a couple of recruiting classes for Red to be able to run his system. Sorry, even Red won’t be able to get Cris Bell to suddenly play hard in every aspect of the game, just not gonna happen IMO.
You might be right, but I don't buy it. Yes, they were recruited by a head coach who only played zone. However, up until coming to Syracuse New York, they ALL played nothing but man. I'm not so sure I'd give Red a pass on this. I mean, he did bring in the portal guys who don't do anything better either. Yeah, we should definitely give him more time than giving up on him (some here appear to have already done that).

I think teams are respecting his shot, but they’re also not going to let him drive to the hoop and get fouled and keep us in the game.

The good thing is that the easy way to beat us is throw everyone at Judah and Virginia has made the roadmap and they did it every year they put even a little pressure on Joe when he ran the point and he couldn’t handle it, yet NO other ACC must’ve watched the tape because nobody followed the same plan.
He just seemed out of character from what we've seen. I thought he'd really accept the challenge of Beekman like he's done with others, and have that competitive fire gene kick in. I just saw a few times, when he was almost hip even with Beekman and not doubled, he chose not to do what he's been known for, going to the rack and forcing the issue. Not saying he could've done it all game but I saw spots where it looked like a perfect opportunity for him, especially with getting blown out.

Now it's also 100% true no one was able to get open for a pass, it seemed like mission impossible, and no outside shooting or inside offense, those are a whole other story.

Red has made it clear that they have spent more time on defense than offense. And it has shown quite well, except for keeping it going on an extended basis.

Offense, regardless of what is taught, will not be effective until someone(s) can score well enough to take some of the attention away from Judah. What UVA did with him will be a pattern for similar defense for the whole ACC.

Red has his hands full from many angles and I think it's unfair to think he can correct all the issues we know need help, overnight. As some have suggested, let's see what it looks like by the middle of February.
Who suggested the issues with the team could be fixed overnight?

Who suggested the issues with the team could be fixed overnight?
Overnight is the context of an entire season not literally.
Maybe not overnight, but you could find some that gave up after Maui. And certainly plenty in this thread.

well yeah lets see how it all plays out...theres still time for Red to figure it out

my worry, though, is that in this era of NCAABB...its a 1year cycle thing...any good coach has to be able to build something new each year.

thats why a lot of the legends all left at the same time, imo...new rosters every season are brutal for the programs who have developed continuity and a brand. its a lot more work with lesser chance of reward now for coaches.

Yes, some coaches have been able to adapt to the current climate (Gonzaga, Uva, Oats, duke, etc)...but it takes a specific skillset OR monster recruiting to cope.

some of the weaknesses I've seen so far from the current staff dont fill me with a lot of hope that they can be that type of staff. recruiting-wise? yes, thats the glimmer of hope I see.

but you gotta be able to teach a system quickly and one that works...this staff knows these players and has been working with them for 2 years now and they look like they just met. thats a really bad sign.. i think the players are bought in...even though it looks like they arent.

they took a lot of the players from JB and a lot of them are not shining...they dont seem to have made a lot of good choices on who to bring and who to tell to leave etc...another bad sign. i mean the center spots and forwards are glaring holes...idk...

yeah I agree...if JB was still getting top guys he never woulda been forced out

it will take some time to see how Red adapts...he still has time to get it sorted...

the biggest thing that takes away my confidence is just I dont even see what they are trying to do...i dont even see what the plan is a lot of the time...at least not a plan that will actually work...and a roster that doesnt fit what strategies they choose to employ.

He just seemed out of character from what we've seen. I thought he'd really accept the challenge of Beekman like he's done with others, and have that competitive fire gene kick in. I just saw a few times, when he was almost hip even with Beekman and not doubled, he chose not to do what he's been known for, going to the rack and forcing the issue. Not saying he could've done it all game but I saw spots where it looked like a perfect opportunity for him, especially with getting blown out.

Now it's also 100% true no one was able to get open for a pass, it seemed like mission impossible, and no outside shooting or inside offense, those are a whole other story.
Probably because he believes he doesn’t need to demonstrate that type of effort anymore. The feedback he got from the NBA likely centered around improving his outside shooting while continuing to progress in other areas. He knows he’s going to do enough to average 20 PPG this season, which will allow him to take some days off. Days when it’s just not worth it. This was one of those days. (I bet he didn’t want to risk his shooting percentages too much either.)

This team’s success - or lack thereof - has no bearing on Mintz’s draft stock. It’s all about the feedback. (I bet he was told to improve his defensive stats as well, which might explain all the gambling for steals.)

By the middle of February, the season will be about over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom