Hooville Postgame thoughts... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Hooville Postgame thoughts...

I mean, one guy is a 5th year senior and another is a sophomore only a few games into his second year. Big difference in experience. JJ is really athletic, but it's going to take time for him to become a good player, which is not unusual. But they've got to fix his shot and get it back to where it was in high school.
Sophomore Joe was better than what Soph JJ has shown.

Didn't finish watching the game after it was clear we were done.

So... got blown out, UVA got whatever they wanted playing the way they wanted.

There was zero downside to us trying to press and push them out of what they like to do.

This team has a glass jaw. Not tough enough.

Judah in particular needs to stop talking to refs every single time he drives, and just get back on defense.

Copeland and Taylor are our best rebounding forwards, which is obviously disappointing that it's not Benny.

I don't count Maliq because he's being platooned at center, which doesn't seem like a great fit to me. I would rather see Hima as the back-up center or even Peter Carey, because I think that Brown is more effective as a PF, not an undersized center.

We need a coaching reset.

I see progress. I said after the Gonzaga loss that we could win between 4 and 6 of the next 8 games, which would set the tone for the rest of the season.

Since then, we're 2 and 1; crushed Chaminade, crushed LSU, crushed by UVa.
UVa always beats us, so that shouldn't have been a big surprise.

We need to bounce back and beat Cornell, and then Georgetown on the road. Georgetown is not very good.

After the way Colgate had their way with us for 2/3 of our game, I can't imagine them taking a 7-1 Cornell team lightly.

That should hopefully leave us at 7-3. If it's not, we're in some trouble.

After that, Oregon at a neutral site is probably a loss right now. They beat Michigan today, won at Georgia, but did lose to 23 Alabama and Santa Clara. Could be a close game, but I would favor them.

That would leave us 7-4, if we don't trip up against Cornell or Georgetown. If we beat Oregon, which is possible but not super-likely, we could be 8-3.

Then, they should beat Niagara, and we have Pitt at home. Pitt beat Oregon State, but lost to Florida and Missouri. The rest of the teams they beat were punching bags.

So, let's say we avoid the upset vs. Cornell, beat Georgetown on the road, lose to Oregon, and beat Niagara. That's 8-4 going into Pitt at home, and Duke next up at Cameron.

Even if things go well, that would be 9-5, then UNC, at PItt, at Miami. We could quickly find ourselves 9-8 or 10-7. As I go through the rest of the schedule, which is reasonably kind this year, the best I really see for us is about 18-12. (Chaminade doesn't count for the NCAA, right?)

That's probably an NIT team. And unfortunately, if we lose to Cornell or Georgetown, this could spiral into a year where .500 would seem a survival kind of season, and big roster changes in the off-season.

Last edited:
Georgetown will be a rock fight. Fear Judah and Benny will be in self mode. Well coached team will exploit us.
I was at the recent Georgetown v Merrimack Game. We should win by 12. Ed Cooley was pissed off at his team most of the game. Also the same refs were at the UVA Game. Hope to never see them ref a game where SU is close. These bums are terrible.

Merrimack is a pure zone team (Can you believe it). Except they are fun to watch. Theyi had an 8 point lead with about 6 minute left and then the refs decided that the 2500 in attendance at the Capital One Center cared for a GTown victory. They called a T on the Merimack coach with 2 minutes left because he tossed a towel to the bench.

We win this game going away in the early 2nd half.

Go CUSE

I wasn’t a fan of the Red hire and he’s done nothing so far to change my mind. The same crappy offense and a different defense with the same crappy results. You can have a talent discrepancy but still be well coached. We are not well coached.
The failure to put in a working offense is my biggest concern with our coaching staff so far.

huh? I don’t get your point at all. im questioning the people RIGHT NOW. “Knock jg3 all you want but for the most part he accepted the pressure of being the guy.” was what the short memories was about.

the rest of your point is hypotheticals. we were 3-4 last year at this with the guys everyone is suggesting we should have kept. I dont get the point crying about these guys who never won anything. Wish them well and move on.
Yeah, I’d definitely take one more year of Jesse over whatever McPlod is going to give us.

It’s not even that we lost…it’s how we are losing. We look lethargic. No aggression. Passive. Getting blown out by good teams and a mediocre UVA team (no Kyle guy, no London, etc. who would wipe the floor with the current UVA team).

We play sloppy. Nonstop turnovers. Bad fundamentals on defense. Something has to change or we will lose more of a fan base as we already have.

It’s not even that we lost…it’s how we are losing. We look lethargic. No aggression. Passive. Getting blown out by good teams and a mediocre UVA team (no Kyle guy, no London, etc. who would wipe the floor with the current UVA team).

We play sloppy. Nonstop turnovers. Bad fundamentals on defense. Something has to change or we will lose more of a fan base as we already have.

I actually think we're getting better. But they are so quick to quit on defense, or resort to bad habits on offense if things start going the other team's way. Basketball has always been a sport of runs.

Autry has to get these guys to play a little more level headed, a little more thoughtful of the nature of the game. A little less implusive & emotional. That might help them withstand and stop other teams' runs faster, before it's too late.

Speaking of which, at the end of the 1st half against UVa., as they were starting to pull away with maybe 5 or 6 minutes until halftime, he should have rotated out 2 or 3 guys and thrown on the press. Maybe we get a couple turnovers, a couple easy baskets and stay in the game.

I don't know why McCloud is playing ...there is a reason he didn't play at Florida State...play the other two centers ...at leaset we get some athleticism ...and next year go to the portal and get a 3 point shooter from a lower level school!!!Please
We have a big man talent evaluation problem if our staff wanted him over others guys and if they were really as high on him this offseason as insiders here said they were.

Last edited:
I’m tired of the excuses. Syracuse basketball needs to be great again.

It's a process. When you stop seeing progress, then you have to try something different or new.

The first couple games, there was no offense at all, just ISO pick & roll, or throwing it around the perimeter for a random three attempt.

The defense was dreadful against Colgate, playing man-to-man. They didn't know whether to switch or not, they didn't fight through picks, they didn't box out at all on the boards. Really horrendous, let's be honest.

We were in the game for a half against Tennessee, but after that, they just managed the lead, and you knew we were never going to win. Next game against Gonzaga - who had just lost - we looked out of it the whole time. Yes, I know we got within 6 or so in the second half, but we never even looked good in that game.

Chaminade was like a scrimmage, but be honest, we played way better against Chaminade than we did in any of our first 3 or 4 games. So, again, that's some progress.

Kicked LSU's butt, soundly. Improved on the boards, looked like we were running more motion on offense early, and then of course Judah took over late and got to the foul line about 15 times in a blow out win.

Against Virginia, their star defensive guard took Judah right out of the game. If he's our leader, he has to be tougher than that, and make plays for other guys to score, if this guy has you locked up. JJ had his best game, but it wasn't nearly good enough.

Copeland got rebounds, made some nice plays, but also seemed to try too hard and threw away several easy passes. Maliq and Naheem were OK for 5 minutes or so each, but then got overpowered, or committed fouls, or in Naheem's case, traveled a couple times and froze on the double teams.

Even this game, the first 10 minutes, we had motion all over the place on the offensive end, we had dual ball handlers, and Judah wasn't forcing it. Everybody was playing defense with commitment. And then we stopped scoring, but remained close for maybe 4-5 more minutes, and then it just got away from them.

Autry should have changed things up in the last 5 minutes of the first half, when it went from 5 points to a 15 point lead. Boeheim used to be great at closing out halves. And then when they are thumping you with a 13-0 run early in the 2nd half to effectively end the game, you have to call a timeout somewhere in there to shake things up, change the mix, try a different strategy. Nothing from Autry here. Did not show himself to be a good game coach today, IMO.

He's got work to do. He'll get better, the team will get better. But we need some toughness and character. How about a game of paintball between the players? Maybe some ax throwing. Take them hiking in the Adirondacks. SOMETHING!

They need more edge, not selfishness, when things get challenging.

I actually think we're getting better. But they are so quick to quit on defense, or resort to bad habits on offense if things start going the other team's way. Basketball has always been a sport of runs.

Autry has to get these guys to play a little more level headed, a little more thoughtful of the nature of the game. A little less implusive & emotional. That might help them withstand and stop other teams' runs faster, before it's too late.

Speaking of which, at the end of the 1st half against UVa., as they were starting to pull away with maybe 5 or 6 minutes until halftime, he should have rotated out 2 or 3 guys and thrown on the press. Maybe we get a couple turnovers, a couple easy baskets and stay in the game.
Red looks like he’s still an assistant coach.
I want to believe something different, but every game it’s the same thing - he’s not acting like a coach, not getting his guys to do what needs to be done.
Just a little pacing and turning away. Same move on TV nearly every time.

And based on the team, they looks undisciplined. That could go back to practice. Following JAB and running practices is not being the head coach.

We have a big man talent evaluation problem if our staff wanted him over others guys and if they were really as high on him this offseason as insiders here said they were.

We have a talent evaluation problem overall. I think we need some new staff with new eyes and a big man coach.

It's a process. When you stop seeing progress, then you have to try something different or new.

The first couple games, there was no offense at all, just ISO pick & roll, or throwing it around the perimeter for a random three attempt.

The defense was dreadful against Colgate, playing man-to-man. They didn't know whether to switch or not, they didn't fight through picks, they didn't box out at all on the boards. Really horrendous, let's be honest.

We were in the game for a half against Tennessee, but after that, they just managed the lead, and you knew we were never going to win. Next game against Gonzaga - who had just lost - we looked out of it the whole time. Yes, I know we got within 6 or so in the second half, but we never even looked good in that game.

Chaminade was like a scrimmage, but be honest, we played way better against Chaminade than we did in any of our first 3 or 4 games. So, again, that's some progress.

Kicked LSU's butt, soundly. Improved on the boards, looked like we were running more motion on offense early, and then of course Judah took over late and got to the foul line about 15 times in a blow out win.

Against Virginia, their star defensive guard took Judah right out of the game. If he's our leader, he has to be tougher than that, and make plays for other guys to score, if this guy has you locked up. JJ had his best game, but it wasn't nearly good enough.

Copeland got rebounds, made some nice plays, but also seemed to try too hard and threw away several easy passes. Maliq and Naheem were OK for 5 minutes or so each, but then got overpowered, or committed fouls, or in Naheem's case, traveled a couple times and froze on the double teams.

Even this game, the first 10 minutes, we had motion all over the place on the offensive end, we had dual ball handlers, and Judah wasn't forcing it. Everybody was playing defense with commitment. And then we stopped scoring, but remained close for maybe 4-5 more minutes, and then it just got away from them.

Autry should have changed things up in the last 5 minutes of the first half, when it went from 5 points to a 15 point lead. Boeheim used to be great at closing out halves. And then when they are thumping you with a 13-0 run early in the 2nd half to effectively end the game, you have to call a timeout somewhere in there to shake things up, change the mix, try a different strategy. Nothing from Autry here. Did not show himself to be a good game coach today, IMO.

He's got work to do. He'll get better, the team will get better. But we need some toughness and character. How about a game of paintball between the players? Maybe some ax throwing. Take them hiking in the Adirondacks. SOMETHING!

They need more edge, not selfishness, when things get challenging.
I love that we hired a coach who has to learn on the job to lead one of the most historic programs in basketball

Missed the game due to traveling. Listened to the 1st half on the radio. So hard for me to judge until I watch the tape if I decide to but after the games in Maui and the LSU performance, concerned that this program still gets blown out by Uva. Didn't expect win but I thought they were past getting blown out by conference opponents. I thought the improved athleticism in the backcourt, overall depth, ditching the zone would prevent the blowouts we came to see the last few years. I guess I was wrong, very concerning. Red tried to make moves w the roster but the pieces don't fit. Judah is not a true pg, the sg can't shoot, Benny has been a failure to launch which sets the program back and forces them to play Bell and Taylor more. Seems this will take longer than we hoped.

I just went back and rewatched the first half.
Very close game. First sub was Maliq for Naheem at around 4 minutes.

At 8:30 (11:30 left), Benny & Copeland came in.

The reason they came in was that Red was using a quick hook on Chris Bell and Judah for about 3 bad defensive plays in a row between them, with Bell's failure to get back on D leading to a free breakaway that led to the time out. Judah had let their star guard get past him too easily on 2 or 3 prior possessions, and on one possession was just running around, guarding no one.

We still played them pretty even for 3 or 4 more possessions, and the defense remained pretty good, but the offense was getting stagnant. Then came a couple Copeland turnovers, and a phantom foul call on Maliq Brown that finally gave UVa their first lead.

Judah came back in, but became too ball dominant. The earlier motion had featured a lot of running by the forwards, switching sides, cutting diagonally across the lane, and looping along the baseline. There had been a few back cuts, a couple dives by Brown or Naheem after setting picks, but few passes to them.

We had some pretty good looks from 3, but neither Bell nor Taylor were hitting them. Autry did call a time out with 6 minutes and change left, when the margin got to 5 or 6 in favor of Virginia. But they didn't respond, the defense broke down again and again, and that kid got hot from 3 to blow it open.

Yet UVA continues to get sub 100 ranked players and completely owns us. At some point the talent argument becomes an excuse for the garbage system we throw out there.
Beekman #72 2020
Murray #74 2021
McKneely #52 2022
Bond #60 2022
Dunn #147 2022 (absolute steal)
Buchanan #82 2023
Gertrude #48 2023
Minor #40 transfer ranking 2023
Rhode #92 transfer ranking 2023

Beekman is the best of that group and Dunn is #2. Dunn is the only one that was an absolute steal. Dunn is also the best NBA prospect, likely a top 20 pick. Beekman would be a first round NBA pick if he improved his shot a bit. Rest of them were pretty highly ranked. UVA had the #14 recruiting class in 2022.

Last edited:
Hard to beat good teams being one dimensional.
Dribble drive.
We need forwards as we don't have any worth a darn and we need shooters. Taylor and Bell are average shooters at best.

Starling had a good game, but is shooting 5% from three this season, Taylor has been abysmal offensively 16% from three this season. The blow byes we are giving up are mind numbing. Bell would be a great BIG 3 player since he never gets back on D. Finally if I have to watch Mintz gamble on a steal and whiff... Leading to his responsiblity scoring or McLeod yelling/clapping his hand after a missed rebound... I'm gonna lose my mind.

Beekman #72 2020
Murray #74 2021
McKneely #52 2022
Bond #60 2022
Dunn #147 2022 (absolute steal)
Buchanan #82 2023
Gertrude #48 2023
Minor #40 transfer ranking 2023
Rhode #92 transfer ranking 2023

Beekman is the best of that group and Dunn is #2. Dunn is the only one that was an absolute steal. Dunn is also the best NBA prospect, likely a top 20 pick. Beekman would be a first round NBA pick if he improved his shot a bit. Rest of them were pretty highly ranked. UVA had the #14 recruiting class in 2022.
According to 247 only. The only RCSI top 100 players in all services are McNeeley, Bond, and Beekman. Not that it really matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom