Hopefully college football follows the NFL's lead | Syracusefan.com

Hopefully college football follows the NFL's lead

Anyone read the comments? One after the other about Colin K and the National Anthem issue. Maybe there's more to the downturn in ratings than commercials...

Anyone read the comments? One after the other about Colin K and the National Anthem issue. Maybe there's more to the downturn in ratings than commercials...

Maybe the NFL doesn't want those morons watching their product.

The NFL's attendance and TV ratings drop off started well before Kaepernick did his thing.

I'm really shocked that they're addressing this. Some years ago I watched a panel discussion on how they could speed up games, but not one person dared/was allowed to say, "Cut the number of commercials."

I'm really shocked that they're addressing this. Some years ago I watched a panel discussion on how they could speed up games, but not one person dared/was allowed to say, "Cut the number of commercials."
Back then tv ratings were still increasing. A decrease in ratings mean those time slots become less valuable anyway. Make no mistake, the NFL has figured out how to generate equal if not more revenue on fewer commercials but i'm sure that model does not include further decreases in ratings.

They're not actually cutting the number of commercials, just the number of commercial breaks.

In all its forms, including fantasy, parlays, office pools et. al.

Absolutely. Its the only sport that draws crazy amounts of females. I know about 5 girls that bet the NFL with a bookie;) ...and non of them will marry me:)

Easy solution. Don't stop the clock for every first down till the fourth quarter. Make chain crews move faster.
Clock shouldn't stop so much.

You're right but part of me really likes that rule. Probably because we've been behind so much this century.

College games
although I will say I'm prepared to take many quick strike touchdowns and the delays associated with them if we are putting up an exciting offense and winning game.

The NFL is just brutal to watch.

College games durations:

2013: 3:17
2016: 3:24, pac 12: 3:30.
2016 rose bowl: 4:13.

We should be more worried about the college game and elevated time investments. The game duration increases between the NFL and CFB are for different reasons IMO. In CFB, its about fast offenses and more first downs, thus more first downs (clock stoppage for chains), thus more tds, thus more post td commercials and then the commercial break before the kickoff. In Rogers League its simply about the $$$. More ads, more sponsors. Longer games= more concession sales. Its all connected. Roger is the worst commish in my 45 years in any sport. The NFL prints $$$, TO allow the raiders and chargers to leave is a travesty. Vegas will be a joke.

Biggest thing college can do is keep the clock running on first downs. It doesn't make any sense to stop the clock. It's the equivalent of stopping the clock after every made FG in college basketball while the ball is dead. I might be ok with the stoppage in the last minute of a game, though, just like they do in hoops.

The simplest way to shorten the games in the era of high octane offenses.

Last edited:
Biggest thing college can do is keep the clock running on first downs. It doesn't make any sense to stop the clock. It's the equivalent of stopping the clock after every made FG in college basketball while the ball is dead. I might be ok with the stoppage in the last minute of a game, though, just like they do in hoops.

The simplest way to shorten the games in the era of high octane offenses.
"In the era of high octane offenses" they need to stop the clock even more than they needed to do it before so those "not exactly spring chickens" can move the chain and down marker to their new positions before the offense runs another play. Plus, it doesn't take the length of a TV timeout sequence to move the chains.

"In the era of high octane offenses" they need to stop the clock even more than they needed to do it before so those "not exactly spring chickens" can move the chain and down marker to their new positions before the offense runs another play. Plus, it doesn't take the length of a TV timeout sequence to move the chains.

Wonder why there isn't technology - something like lasers , that can move up and down the field better than having humans holding sticks to mark spots. Seems pretty antiquated. You are probably right though between refs and chain people , they need the time to move.

You're telling me if no-huddle offenses become the norm in the NFL that they'll change their rules to stop the clock? I don't think so.

That's missing the point. I understand the official needs to hold the ball until the chains have moved but why does the clock have to stop for that? I mean, the clock continues after running plays. There should only be two ways to stop a clock: an incomplete pass and a timeout. In the last 2:00 of a game including running out of bounds. That's plenty.