How about a thread for those who think that Shafer was a good hire | Syracusefan.com

How about a thread for those who think that Shafer was a good hire

and will surround himself with some quality people. Maybe we don't get to six wins next year, but it was a rebuilding year anyways. Time to put faith in Shafer and move on.

Why would we do that? Its more fun to piss and moan about how DM messed us.

Has he officially been hired yet?

I believe that SS will lead SU into the next level...and in a good way.

Has he officially been hired yet?

I believe that SS will lead SU into the next level...and in a good way.

Presser scheduled tomorrow for...something ?!

and will surround himself with some quality people. Maybe we don't get to six wins next year, but it was a rebuilding year anyways. Time to put faith in Shafer and move on.

Believe press conference is tomorrow; here is link to his extended and very revealing 2009 introductory press conference as DC.

SS was a QB in high school and college. His son is currently a QB at high school.

He has high level experience working as DC at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh. He also had the opportunity to work at UMichigan with RR where he came to learn a valuable lesson: its about the game and the people more than the "place". (See video) He studies college offenses for a living: he has seen the SU offense evolve these last 4 years;

there is very little doubt that he appreciates the importance of a dynamic and fast pace offense, based on player development.

My impression is that SS has a lot of intensity and smarts and solid experience and absolutely stresses character and the game; his focus is attitude and player development; most importantly, as has been repeatedly posted, players want to play for him; he runs a fast pace, aggressive, attacking system; he wants to win and isn't hung up on "statistics" or large unmanagable "playbooks that don't work.

In the video, my impression is DM comes off as a huge "stiff" compared with SS; and I'll go out on a limb and say SS has a lot more upside in recruiting talented players and developing talented players over the long run than DM.

This last year was a great success offensively for SU: however, does that make DM an offensive genius? Trying to remember his first OC who ended up being fired; as another poster mentioned, maybe a senior QB and a full roster and improved recruiting and better assistant coaches with competitive salaries had something to do with the success last year.

My guess is that Thursday, SS will reassure a lot of fans and players and recruits and that reassurance will continue with the team meeting Sunday.

I like it and look for good things from Shafer. Let's move forward and get behind this guy.

Something tells me the sideline demeanor complainers from DM's first 3 1/2 years will be very happy with Scott

Why would we do that? Its more fun to piss and moan about how DM messed us.
I don't view those as mutually exclusive. I'm having a great time pissing and moaning about DM. I'm also now all chips in on Shafer. I have serious reservations about what hiring Shafer may be signaling from the University, and that scares me, but as for Shafer himself I like the guy, his system and his philosophy on defense. Now he needs to find a good offensive coordinator that will implement an offense that takes advantage of the Dome - I don't think that should be a difficult task. What good OC wouldn't want to play half or more of their games in controlled conditions?

I have wanted him to be our coach for the last two year. GREAT HIRE! Fathers a coach, He was an all star QB, Played in a fast paced O, Great track record, 8dvd's on coaching, respected coast to coast by all levels, Huge rolodex, Perfect age for a Head coach in his prime, PASSION, no folded arms heading down to the other end of the field BS, has won every place he has been other than with Dickrod, It his time and we are very fortunate to have him.

the first open practice i went to after DM was hired, i got my first looks at SS. he was so intense, so fiery and so passionate that i nearly ran a lap out of fear that if i didnt he would obliterate me.

i am on board with this hire and believe we picked the right man for the job and he will be a huge success here

I am all in on the Shafer hire too. Sometimes things just kind of fall into your lap, and this may be the time. SHCSS was ready for a HC gig. And now it just kind of happened for him. In a few years, we may view this as the best thing that could have happened for the program.

Shafer was the right hire regardless of if hackett stayed on. He will prove to be a better coach than marrone...and you will quickly see our defensive recruits getter better each year now that he is HC.

I'm happier with Shafer as HC. DM is more of a front office/GM kinda guy anyway. Just worried about the OC choice.

This was the smart hire given the timing of DM's departure and where the program is right now. I really hope he can keep the momentum building and take this thing to the next level.

I'm happy with the hire and started the process for a season ticket to express my feelings to SU, but am disappointed with Doug leaving so soon and in the way he left. We're not yet at the point where many recruits come because it's SU, rather they come because of the coach. For a guy that preached loyalty, he didn't show much at a critical juncture.

Not all that long ago, weren't a number of people nervous we would lose Shafer to an open HC position somewhere else? I love this move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom