How about some of this falling on the players? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How about some of this falling on the players?

orangenirvana said:
We've been ranked in the 50's in recruiting for the last 6 or 7 years now. But under Shafer, on the field where it really counts we're ranked in the 80's/90's. What does that tell us? Are the recruiting rankings not as accurate as you say...or is Shafer over his head?

Yeah, the talent ranking thing works both ways. What about those schools who's recruiting is consistently ranked in the top 25 but don't consistently have results that land them in the top 25? Programs both under and over perform their recruiting rankings all the time.

Coaching may not be able to get awful talent to the national championship. But coaching can get middling talent to 7-8 wins and a bowl. I mean we've seen it happen here!

There should be ZERO question that marrone>shafer.

Problem is, there is likely 50 others we should get who are better than him at the nuances of being a college HC.

He's done in the NFL, maybe he 'gets' college now.

The school has made improvements and appears to continue to do so, which he wanted...let him interview again.

Wont get the job, but whatever.
No Im not suggesting we get him back here. I was just pointing out how much better Marrone was at developing players.

All season long I have seen running backs get hit by our d-backs, d-back slide off gets run over, next man up same, next man up same and so on. After a twenty yard gain, finally he stumbles and then he is gang tackled. Our defense is division 2 quality except for a couple.

Pre-season, many posters felt our defensive coaches were geniuses (based on 2014, with a veteran group) and we would be just fine, losing 8 veteran starters. You described what happens with a young, under-sized defense. Daoust did not get stupid.

We've been ranked in the 50's in recruiting for the last 6 or 7 years now. But under Shafer, on the field where it really counts we're ranked in the 80's/90's. What does that tell us? Are the recruiting rankings not as accurate as you say...or is Shafer over his head?

I believe that the post addressed our recruiting rankings within the conference.

The post concluded that the recruiting rankings are consistent with how we have performed on the field within the conference.

I think that's right. We do not have the talent of our immediate competition.

I don't really don't know where we are ranked in the U.S.

I do think it's pretty clear that Scott Shafer has struggled as a HC - in a number of ways.

And it does seem that he has not gotten as much out of what I thought was an improved talent base as say, a Doug Marrone would have gotten.

Going 3-9 two years in a row - something that now seems very possible - is a big problem.

And the HC has to held accountable for that. I can't argue otherwise.

There should be ZERO question that marrone>shafer.

Problem is, there is likely 50 others we should get who are better than him at the nuances of being a college HC.

He's done in the NFL, maybe he 'gets' college now.

The school has made improvements and appears to continue to do so, which he wanted...let him interview again.

Wont get the job, but whatever.

Not that it will happen, but I would have no problem bringing Doug Marrone back.

And if a change is made, I would hope that he and the University would at least discuss his status, what went wrong for him and the Department while he was here, and whether the relationship, if it really was damaged, could be repaired.

No harm in talking - to a talented football man.

If he was open half the time he'd be Julio Jones, and he was open a lot today just had a guy with no touch deep passing the ball. We got a lot of problems, but Ishmeal ain't one.

No. Ishmael isn't a problem per se and obviously we have bigger ones. He is just more of a complimentary receiver. It would be a fallacy to think otherwise. There ARE games against 'peer' schools when he can't get open. That's a fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom