How about this coach to Marrone... | Syracusefan.com

How about this coach to Marrone...

timkay99

All Conference
I was reviewing a coach when I looked back at that Sumlin thread earlier and came across an interesting name that I think makes for an interesting comparison...

Is Marrone possibly Gary Pinkel? Pinkel came from Toledo as a guy with a ton of offensive capability into a rebuilding job to a team that had gone 4-7 and 3-8 the last 2 years.

Pinkel's first 5 years were:
4-7
5-7
8-5
5-6
7-5 (this is the year they began to be the Missouri we know today)

- in 2001, his first year, Pinkel went over 30 4 times (including 1 D-1AA and Baylor) and 14 or under 5 times.
in 2009, his year year, Marrone over over 30 4 times (including 1 D-1AA) and 14 or under 4 times.

That is where the offensive comparisons ends for the year by year. And I can understand the frustration with the offense not taking off.

But, in 2004 for Missouri (the 5-6 year), the offense scored 30 or more in only 3 games and only once in Big 12 games.

I guess my point with this is, rebuilding takes time. It took Pinkel 5 years to make Missouri a consistent power (think they are a good comparison for Syracuse). Pinkel had a lot more issues on defense then I would say Syracuse has on offense (open to debate). He is similar in that they took a step forward and then a step back as well the following year.

I don't know, I think its a good comp. I might be wrong.

You are absolutely correct that rebuilding takes time. It's also frustrating as heck to sit through the rebuilding process as a fan, because inconsistencies keep showing up in games as the coaching staff transitions from directing players the last staff recruited to the players they recruited. It sure sounds like this is a problem with the Syracuse team this year, based on the reports of internal strife within both the team and the coaching staff that came out this week. There is a reason that coaches are given four or five years to prove themselves, and I'm hoping that Marrone can step up to the challenge, since going back to square one with a new staff is far from ideal. At least he has a couple of years left in the Big East before he needs to step up his game for the ACC.

Would be an awesome DL hire...he is the reason Penn St recruits so well...we need to shell out the money to get him asap! Plus he recruits in the north

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom