How 'Bout Some Justin Taylor Love? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How 'Bout Some Justin Taylor Love?

Been a fan for awhile (same with Brown- very vocal about that last year). Need him to get quality looks because he’s got a good shot.
It is a good shot, but his form is odd to say the least. But I like what the kid does all around. Seems stronger and tougher than last year as well.

Through 2 games Copeland has more ventures into the paint off the dribble than Taylor in his entire career
I won't be suckered in to criticizing Copeland to make an argument for Taylor because I love Copeland. So I'll just let you dump on Justin and you can make the argument against yourself. Taylor is more important to the team right now...that is not up for debate.

No idea what you're watching
That spin move into three defenders with the shot he put up nearly landing outside the free throw line after bouncing it off the backboard comes immediately to mind. Reminded me of my drive averse self, as a 54-yr old man, who accidentally finds himself inside with no idea what to do.

It is a good shot, but his form is odd to say the least. But I like what the kid does all around. Seems stronger and tougher than last year as well.
I'd say his form is good, he just releases it from a really high point a little off centered imo, and for his size has decent lift. It's a hard shot to contest by defenders. Bell is much more of set shooter with a lower release point. And JJ... Tyus-like hitch. Not sure what is going on with that shot.

No idea what you're watching
Also, his drive where he was 6 feet from the bucket, got defended very well, and tossed up the weak airball wasn’t ideal.

Love him as an all around garbage man sucking up all the tough boards and defending all over the place, but his mind goes to fast when he has the ball.

He‘s going to relax eventually and will be good all over. But he might be 30 before that happens.

I'd say his form is good, he just releases it from a really high point a little off centered imo, and for his size has decent lift. It's a hard shot to contest by defenders. Bell is much more of set shooter with a lower release point. And JJ... Tyus-like hitch. Not sure what is going on with that shot.
Yeah, seems like he’s shooting from his right ear. Or at least that’s where the motion starts.

Maybe the ball whispers to him.

You're being generous with JJ. It's much worse than that.

Cope is already far more capable off the dribble. That's why I like him
He’s got to stop his turnaround, behind the back dipsy doodle spin move to the hoop. He ends up off balance, losing the handle or getting it poked away. Love his energy, willingness to pass, rebound but he has to concentrate on fundamentals, (passing, rebounding, defense, moving without the ball) and keeping his high energy level to continue to be an important and dependable off the bench player. He can be and has proven to be, a key energy force for the team when he plays, if he focuses on fundamentals.

He’s got to stop his turnaround, behind the back dipsy doodle spin move to the hoop. He ends up off balance, losing the handle or getting it poked away. Love his energy, willingness to pass, rebound but he has to concentrate on fundamentals, (passing, rebounding, defense) and keeping his high energy level to continue to be an important and dependable off the bench player. He can be an important energy force for the team when he plays, if he focuses on fundamentals.
I won't argue there. I'm not even trying to poop on Taylor, I like him well enough but I certainly do believe Copeland is more valuable and has higher upside

He's hitting multiple pull up jumpers a game so how bad can it be
I agree... Starling's shot isn't perfect, but a bigger problem is he doesn't believe he can hit the three right now. That's the real problem with Starling's shot.

He forgets to miss when he's shooting midrange pullups.

Last edited:
He's an excellent complimentary player on this team. I also think he'll be valuable if teams try to zone Syracuse. He can be a good foul-line extended player.

He's hitting multiple pull up jumpers a game so how bad can it be
He's a shooting guard. We actually need him to make shots outside of 10 feet.

And I don’t know what’s going to happen at the end of close games because his free throw shooting is frightening and he’s probably our best ball handler.

And I don’t know what’s going to happen at the end of close games because his free throw shooting is frightening and he’s probably our best ball handler.
He's not a shooting guard we're playing 2 PGs. The free throw shooting is bad there's no question about that

What's going to happen at the end of games is Mintz gets to pad his free throw shooting numbers. Nobody else is getting the ball if he can get it.

Mintz has warts to his game, but he's clearly our best player. You want your best player with the ball at the end of games. Especially if he's a point guard.

The backcourt's shaky outside shooting ability (putting it mildly for JJ) is going to be an issue come ACC time when there's tape to scout - Taylor will become even more invaluable to this team.

We've seen Bell have flashes of explosiveness, but his general lack of enthusiasm on the defensive end and for the team itself is jarring.

I won't be suckered in to criticizing Copeland to make an argument for Taylor because I love Copeland.
Amen. The board has a history of posters developing a crush on a player and then ripping anybody who they see as a “rival” for PT with that player. Countless examples of that. Drives me nuts.

Red has a lot of options at the 3. It might vary from game to game. It depends upon the matchup, who is playing well in that game, who is playing well at practice, who is doing the things in practice and games that the coaches have lectured them about, who has not, etc etc etc.

I root for all the players. Given that all are getting a free ride through school as well as NIL $$$, I am not emotionally joined at the hip with any of them. I just want to win and whichever guy or guys get us there, I’m fine with that, all the while still rooting for the others. They are all Orange to me.

Cope is still too mistake prone, good for at least 2 cringeworthy plays a game - but he's also good for at least a couple impressive plays a game - but still too inconsistent to trust in crunch time, at least for now

He is at his best attacking from the wing and being a role player attacking the boards. He's also ideal at being the assist after the hockey assist guy.

He has to expand his game to be a regular. His work on the boards though to me will matter most once Westry gets back and we see whose going to get more time between Bell, Chance, Benny and Cope.

Amen. The board has a history of posters developing a crush on a player and then ripping anybody who they see as a “rival” for PT with that player. Countless examples of that. Drives me nuts.

Red has a lot of options at the 3. It might vary from game to game. It depends upon the matchup, who is playing well in that game, who is playing well at practice, who is doing the things in practice and games that the coaches have lectured them about, who has not, etc etc etc.

I root for all the players. Given that all are getting a free ride through school as well as NIL $$$, I am not emotionally joined at the hip with any of them. I just want to win and whichever guy or guys get us there, I’m fine with that, all the while still rooting for the others. They are all Orange to me.
Great Post! I was thinking the same thing, maybe I missed the memo over the years.

Why do we need one to succeed and one to fail? It's not Taylor vs Cope vs Bell etc... They are SU players, damn let's root for all of them to be successful. Some of the stuff is funny, we have NO GARBAGE Players on the team and we have no PERFECT players, let the dudes grow and develop sheesh... majority are Sophs.

Some of the stuff we are critical of on here they don't do in the League. I want all of them to be as successful as they can be, and get over their hurdles, it's part of the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom