How do MCW's rookie stats stack up? | Syracusefan.com

How do MCW's rookie stats stack up?

SUMBA

2nd String
Mr. Carter-Williams is enjoying a pretty fair rookie season in the NBA. So I was curious to see how his initial campaign compared with Magic Johnson's. Let's goooooo to the videotape (do they still use that?)...

Michael Carter-Williams

Magic Johnson

Now, I am not ready to vote MCW into the Hall of Fame, or say that he is as good as Magic. However, after 32 games his stats stack up to Johnson's rookie numbers: Magic averaged 18.0 PPG to MCW's 17.6, and both played in the neighborhood of 35 minutes per game. Magic had an edge in rebounds and assist but the assist to turnover ratio is similar.

Magic's FG% is considerably higher, as is his free throw percentage. However, MCW's 3 point shooting percentage is higher than Magic's by quite a bit. Magic's size was an anomaly for a point guard at the time he played. At 6'9" he was the size of some NBA centers. The fact that he had point guard skills made him impossible for guys his size to guard him. Defenders with the skill to guard him in the open court were most often on the short end of a considerable size differential. His ability to post up smaller defenders and to outmaneuver taller ones accounts for his higher FG%.

The reason that MCW's 3 point shooting percentage is considerably higher can be explained very simply: Magic's rookie percentage was simply awful at 22.6%. That wasn't his game and daring him to shoot the trey would seem to have been the best way to defend him. MCW's 3 point percentage of 30.6% is slightly below the break even point for that shot but still much better than Mr. Johnson's.

So, we will see where MCW finishes his rookie season, there is a lot of hoops to be played. Magic has a clear edge in the numbers but MCW's rookie stats to date are just a tad below those of one of the greatest point guards ever.

Last edited:
Love the kid but I don't know that he's in the top 100 college point guards since Magic.

NBA? One hell of a start. That stat where only he and Lebron avg. over 17 pts, 5 rBs, 6 assists currently says more to me than comparing his stats to Magic in 1980.

What MCW is doing now doesn't make him a better or worse college PG. He's not in college anymore. And he's not the best college PG since Magic.

I didn't say that the statement was correct (in fact it seems a bit silly in hindsight), simply that I made it and it led me to compare rookie stats...thanks for playing.....

Love the kid but I don't know that he's in the top 100 college point guards since Magic.

NBA? One hell of a start. That stat where only he and Lebron avg. over 17 pts, 5 rBs, 6 assists currently says more to me than comparing his stats to Magic in 1980.

Again, I didn't say that my statement was correct...only that I made it and it led me to compare rookie stats.

Again, I didn't say that my statement was correct...only that I made it and it led me to compare rookie stats.

Then leave out the first paragraph. Sounds like you are saying that statement has more validity based on MCW's great rookie season.

What MCW is doing now doesn't make him a better or worse college PG. He's not in college anymore. And he's not the best college PG since Magic.

If Michael was this good last year, we would have won the championship.

It's unbelievable that MCW is doing so well that we can even compare the two.

Comparing MCW to Magic in any fashion is like comparing wood to gold - MCW isn't the best PG TO PLAY PLAY AT CUSE THE LAST TWO YEARS - not knocking MCW either - he was a good player - I liked him - I'm glad he chose Cuse - looking back Im also glad he left early - it made us a lot better this year

Then leave out the first paragraph. Sounds like you are saying that statement has more validity based on MCW's great rookie season.
Agreed. No point of even mention how you got called out on saying that last year if you are just talking about MCW in the NBA.

It is incredible what MCW is doing this year in the NBA. It is great to see and speaks volumes on his development. However, he was a good college basketball point guard that took advantage of his size. He was a high risk/reward pg that wanted the offense run through him. I thinkits a bit crazy to compare him to Magic at MSU or project what he will end up being at the next level. There is only one Magic.

It is incredible what MCW is doing this year in the NBA. It is great to see and speaks volumes on his development. However, he was a good college basketball point guard that took advantage of his size. He was a high risk/reward pg that wanted the offense run through him. I thinkits a bit crazy to compare him to Magic at MSU or project what he will end up being at the next level. There is only one Magic.

I don't disagree. I am merely stating that his rookie stats to date are not that far below those of Magic's rookie season.

MCW's game is far better suited to the NBA than college.

He was a very good PG for us last year but, IMO, Tyler is a better college PG. On the flipside, again IMO, MCW will be a better pro PG than Tyler.

Magic isn't one of the greatest pgs ever. He's THE greatest pg ever.

Yes. If every player, especially guards, played offense with Magic's mentality then basketball would be much better off.

Asking anyone to match his skill level is near impossible, but the unselfishness and doing whatever the team needed to function better is how basketball should be played.

Mr. Carter-Williams is enjoying a pretty fair rookie season in the NBA. So I was curious to see how his initial campaign compared with Magic Johnson's. Let's goooooo to the videotape (do they still use that?)...

Michael Carter-Williams

Magic Johnson

2 notes
Magic: the box score never really showed you the whole picture. Kind of a Tyler Ennis "Wow he dominated the game but doesn't quite look like it in the box score". It's having "presence"
and I don't think we will see MCW subbing for his HOF center in Game 6 of the NBA finals and scoring 42pts . I don't know if Magic has really ever gotten enough credit for that.

If Michael was this good last year, we would have won the championship.

I think part of last year's trouble was that the SU team wasn't ready to play with him. Not saying they weren't good enough, but I don't think our squad last year had a high basketball IQ. They didn't know how to react to him driving by moving themselves into good position to receive a pass/get open. This year he gets the benefit of guys who know where to go on the court.

Ennis is benefiting from Cooney/Grant playing more minutes and an improved Rak. This year's team is much better at moving to open spots where they can do damage. Not to mention, Ennis is a better pure point than MCW and maybe this year guys know that he will pass the ball if they are open.

MCW will continue to get better... and that's awesome for the 76ers and frightening for everyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom