How long? | Syracusefan.com

How long?

Cuse House

All American
Until it's not about next year? Or the one after that? I am still high on this teams ability to win 5-6. But when will we be able to play with the big boys because we have to recruit every single piece on defense...

As the offense clicks more it'll take pressure off the defense both because of scoring and by giving them a break. We need to beat peer teams this year, give really good teams a serious scare next year, and look like we can contend after that.

Cuse House said:
Until it's not about next year? Or the one after that? I am still high on this teams ability to win 5-6. But when will we be able to play with the big boys because we have to recruit every single piece on defense...

It's a process. There are no short cuts.

Don't know but I got desensitized a long time ago. I remember freaking out over a down season or two when it felt like more than that(and it was). I went down with the ship a long time ago. And then went down with it deeper. And then down with it again. Still on the ship though. If we get good again, awesome. But it's not like we have to do it now or else. Just get better and build the program.

Don't know but I got desensitized a long time ago. I remember freaking out over a down season or two when it felt like more than that(and it was). I went down with the ship a long time ago. And then went down with it deeper. And then down with it again. Still on the ship though. If we get good again, awesome. But it's not like we have to do it now or else. Just get better and build the program.
Still with the ship. I like it! I was one of the last 100 people in the Dome tonight. I don't know why. Kinda weird of me.

We were down two touchdowns with the ball to start the second half. We have an offense that can score, this wasn't that bad until the fourth quarter. People are amazing, did anyone think this was going to be easy. This game was always in my tier of games with little to no chance. Guess what this is probably going to happen three more times this year. It's the games outside of FSU, Clemson and Notre Dame that will determine the teams success.

It's game 2. Two.
I realize that. I'm not upset about the outcome. My question was more about how long before the overhaul can get us the horses that we need. I still think we will make a bowl. I just believe that we have A LOT of recruiting to do if we ever want to take a step up.

I realize that. I'm not upset about the outcome. My question was more about how long before the overhaul can get us the horses that we need. I still think we will make a bowl. I just believe that we have A LOT of recruiting to do if we ever want to take a step up.

Well, let's keep in perspective that we are implemented completely new systems on BOTH sides of the ball that are radically different that what we did before. So it isn't unrealistic to expect that it will take a few recruiting cycles to optimize our roster for what the new staff is trying to do. Or that the players that the new staff inherited aren't great system fits for the new schemes.

I get that people are frustrated, because the last 17 years have mostly been frustrating and disappointing. But we finally have a head coach and a staff who know what they're doing and have a track record of success. IF it takes them a little bit of time to get the roster where it needs to be, that will be the price of sustainable, long term success and worth the short term growing pains.

And along the way, we can still WIN games, even if the roster isn't optimized, as you point out. This isn't a full rebuild, and the offense can still win us a lot of games. But on the other side of the ball? That's where the majority of our personnel issues are this season, no matter how else people would like to spin it.

Last edited:
It's a game by game process. I look for things like are they making the same mistakes over and over again...blocking and tackling and where they are showing progress. Two games is a very small sample study and while at that...a very extreme two teams to play as well. A couple of areas that surprise me so far are the lack of blocking for runs and the poor execution on returns. I'm thinking that Louisville just was a lot bigger and faster much like SU was to Colgate thus a bit harder to get a true read much like taking a basic algebra test and then a difficult calculus test.

Well, let's keep in perspective that we are implemented completely new systems on BOTH sides of the ball that are radically different that what we did before. So it isn't unrealistic to expect that it will take a few recruiting cycles to optimize our roster for what the new staff is trying to do. Or that the players that the new staff inherited aren't great system fits for the new schemes.

I get that people are frustrated, because the last 17 years have mostly been frustrating and disappointing. But we finally have a head coach and a staff who know what they're doing and have a track record of success. IF it takes them a little bit of time to get the roster where it needs to be, that will be the price of sustainable, long term success and worth the short term growing pains.

And along the way, we can still WIN games, even if the roster isn't optimized, as you point out. This isn't a full rebuild, and the offense can still win us a lot of games. But on the other side of the ball? That's where the majority of our personnel issues are this season, no matter how else people would like to spin it.
I believe in Babers 100%. My concern is recruiting for the defense. Recruits will want to play in the offense so that won't be an issue. As you pointed out, the defense is what needs the biggest influx of talent. I hope the majority of people understand it takes time. I heard a lot of giving up on the Skytop bus on the way home already.

How long? 2018. I think that's when things will start to come together. 2019 is when they break open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom