How would you rank ACC football teams by tier(alltime) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How would you rank ACC football teams by tier(alltime)

After having a healthy discussion about Virginia Tech I thought I would create this thread because I want to see how others would rank the teams alltime. I don't put that much weight to anything before 1964 and segregation ended, but people can rank the teams how they deem them to fall.

Tier 1: Florida State and Miami(national players)
These teams each have atleast 3 National Championships since 1983. Miami was the team of the 1980's, Florida State was arguably the team of the 1990's. Each has had 2 Heisman winners Jameis Winston, Charlie Ward and Gino Torretta, Vinny Testaverde

Tier 2: Virginia Tech, Clemson(top 25 programs)
Virginia Tech doesn't have much history prior to Beamer, but they have played in 7 Sugar/Orange Bowls since 1995, they have 9 conference title Big East/ACC during that time. Clemson has the 1981 NC, they have done well under Swinney, but only 2 major bowls since 1981. They are on an upswing, but don't have the body of work.

Tier 3: Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Syracuse(all three have history, but not much recent success)
These schools have national titles in football and Pitt/Syracuse have Heisman winners and NCs. No major bowl wins for any since Syracuse in 1993 Fiesta Bowl.

Tier 4: Louisville, Boston College
Recent success from Louisville 2 BCS bowl wins since 2006, Boston College has a Heisman winner and been above average from a while

Tier 5: North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia
This is the foundation of the ACC, but none of these teams have major bowls in the last 20 years or Heisman trophy's in their school history.

Note: I say a huge gap between tier 1 and 2 a decent gap between 2 and 3 and very little gap between tiers 3 and 5.

Check that, I misread what you wrote, I initially thought it said we hadn't played in a major bowl. Although didn't we win the 1997 Fiesta Bowl... Is that revisionist memory on my part... I know we got killed in the 98 Orange Bowl

Edit: We lost 97 Fiesta Bowl 18-35 - DAMN

I think the original post is pretty good and reasonable.

However, it's pretty hard to really put Louisville ahead of Tier 5 because of BCS bowls in an "all time" ranking. I mean, is Louisville's 11-2 season in 2012 that dramatically more impressive than UNC winning 10 and then 11 games in 1996-97? And the same in 1980-81? I don't think Louisville has separated themselves there, and I don't think Flutie differentiates BC that much.

It would probably be more accurate to group Louisville, BC, UNC, NCSU, UVA at tier 4, and Duke and Wake at tier 5. Historically, there's no way Duke is in line with Tier 4 based on one year.

After having a healthy discussion about Virginia Tech I thought I would create this thread because I want to see how others would rank the teams alltime. I don't put that much weight to anything before 1964 and segregation ended, but people can rank the teams how they deem them to fall.

Tier 1: Florida State and Miami(national players)
These teams each have atleast 3 National Championships since 1983. Miami was the team of the 1980's, Florida State was arguably the team of the 1990's. Each has had 2 Heisman winners Jameis Winston, Charlie Ward and Gino Torretta, Vinny Testaverde

Tier 2: Virginia Tech, Clemson(top 25 programs)
Virginia Tech doesn't have much history prior to Beamer, but they have played in 7 Sugar/Orange Bowls since 1995, they have 9 conference title Big East/ACC during that time. Clemson has the 1981 NC, they have done well under Swinney, but only 2 major bowls since 1981. They are on an upswing, but don't have the body of work.

Tier 3: Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Syracuse(all three have history, but not much recent success)
These schools have national titles in football and Pitt/Syracuse have Heisman winners and NCs. No major bowl wins for any since Syracuse in 1993 Fiesta Bowl.

Tier 4: Louisville, Boston College
Recent success from Louisville 2 BCS bowl wins since 2006, Boston College has a Heisman winner and been above average from a while

Tier 5: North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia
This is the foundation of the ACC, but none of these teams have major bowls in the last 20 years or Heisman trophy's in their school history.

Note: I say a huge gap between tier 1 and 2 a decent gap between 2 and 3 and very little gap between tiers 3 and 5.

If we consider the history of college football - the entirety of it - Syracuse University belongs in the Top Tier.

Greatest college team of all time.

Greatest RB of all time.

First AA Heisman Trophy winner.

Greatest FB of all time.

Greatest center - Jim Ringo - of all time.

Greatest TE of all time.

Greatest K of all time - Gary Anderson.

And Marvin, Jim Nance, Floyd Little, Dwight Freeney, McNabb.

Where are we on all-time program wins, top ten or fifteen?

We have been a football power for decades and decades - well before Va Tech probably even had a team.

In its entirety SU Football is Top Tier.