Hughes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hughes

I think Hughes is a more athletic version of Andrew White, though, the two players side by side would indicate the opposite. The beauty is we get Hughes for more time. He's a surprisingly great athlete; he gets off the floor explosively and can really leap though he looks a bit soft and has that "smooth/slow" thing to him.

Agreed about the IQ: he had three terrible passes last night: one on an easy break and two outlets off rebounds that he threw right into the ground. But that stuff will come with time and I expect an All ACC type season next year, for sure.

I just wish Brissett would realize that having Hughes means he can stop jacking the 3's we needed him to take last year. He'll have plenty of scrimmage time to prove his shot pre-draft (LOL).

We saw him at Boeheims elite camp here in Syracuse. Not sure what happened after that camp.
I could be dreaming this but I thought I heard he got caught up in the scholarship restriction game we faced after sanctions. Not sure where or when he would have been considered but once we passed him by, he went off to ECU but still had an eye back here in NYS.

jb rarely gives scholarship slots to regular transfers (that is, excluding jucos and the recent probation-related dips into the grad transfer pool)
when he does, they usually pay off, with just a couple of exceptions

pretty sure this is the complete list of regular transfers in jb's era . . . not sure whether mark cubit was accepted at the tail end of the danforth regime or at the very beginning of jb's term, its before my time

mark cubit
leo rautins
leron ellis
ryan blackwell
ethan cole
wes johnson
mike gbinijie
paschal chukwu
elijah hughes

I was disappointed by his rebounding early but he has showed a lot more more toughness and willingness to fight down low recently.

What was up with his sneakers? One came off shooting a jumper. He slipped and fell with no one touching him a number of times. Were they too big? I hope he never wears that pair again.
Get Hughes a pair of those yellow shoes that Battle wears.

jb rarely gives scholarship slots to regular transfers (that is, excluding jucos and the recent probation-related dips into the grad transfer pool)

pretty sure this is the complete list of regular transfers in jb's era . . . not sure whether mark cubit was accepted at the tail end of the danforth regime or at the very beginning of jb's term, its before my time

mark cubit
leo rautins
leron ellis
ryan blackwell
ethan cole
wes johnson
mike gbinijie
paschal chukwu
elijah hughes
Would think big money cubit would make a big donation to the renovation. :)

I can’t believer the rest of our guys can’t shoot 3’s with him on the court. Everyone else stinks besides him out there. Good rebounder too. He’s a tougher Andrew White.

mark cubit
leo rautins
leron ellis
ryan blackwell
ethan cole
wes johnson
mike gbinijie
paschal chukwu
elijah hughes
That's a pretty good track record of impact players.

I know his .364 three point shooting has been the topic most discussed
Seems like his % is higher than that. Either that or we’ve been so poor beyond the arc that anything above .350 is a reason for champagne.

Seems like his % is higher than that. Either that or we’ve been so poor beyond the arc that anything above .350 is a reason for champagne.
15-35 (.429) over the last four games.

15-35 (.429) over the last four games.

i wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of improvement in conference play. last year, frank hit nearly 36% in conference play after a disastrous start. he's at .375 in the first two games (yeah, i know) so fingers crossed

oshae had a disastrous first 10 games from the arc this year (.182) but he's at .333 the last 5, even including last night's 0fer. last year he was .376 in conference play after hitting just .284 ooc

they don't have to be sharpshooters, just need all three of frank, oshae and tyus can hit 34-36 per cent and take 10 or so combined per game, more if one is hot

Can someone tell me what the staff saw in him to want him as a transfer?

Scoring under 8ppg at a mid-major isn't exactly lighting it up. What made us go after him?.
Any freshman scoring 8/game is promising, but Hughes had better games at the end of the season against good teams.
He played in CT on the same team as Matt Moyer, so our staff knew a lot about him. (Moyer was the star on that team.)
Most important, Hughes has improved each year. Gives us 3 guys on the floor with upperclass savvy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom