Hurricane Moyer, er... Matthew bearing down | Syracusefan.com

Hurricane Moyer, er... Matthew bearing down

Flacusian

All Conference
All hunkered down and waiting on this monster storm to make it's assault on everything I hold near and dear. Projecting winds of 70 mph where I live and possibly depending on how far west it tracks we've been told to prepare for winds of 120 mph. Very concerned for the first time since moving to Florida in '93. We were without power for 6 days from Wilma in '95 and this thing is going to dwarf that storm with respect to sustained winds and wind damage. I'm hoping I have a roof on my business when I am able to get to it and I'm worried about the huge 150 ft. pine and live oak trees which surround my house. Prayers and positive vibes put out in the direction of one of your live long Syracuse Basketball fans/ booster will be much appreciated.

Positive, CALM vibes coming your way. You've had some tough times lately. Thinking of you.
Thank you Vince, it is truly appreciated. My 10 year old daughter is having a panic attack. The 2 youngest kids have been trough a lot too and they don't have the same capacity to deal with it as Beth and myself and my two adult kids. My daughter Megen is here visiting from Southern California with her husband and my 2 year old granddaughter. We were planning on going the Gator/ LSU game Saturday but that is obviously cancelled. She went to UF both undergraduate and grad school.

All hunkered down and waiting on this monster storm to make it's assault on everything I hold near and dear. Projecting winds of 70 mph where I live and possibly depending on how far west it tracks we've been told to prepare for winds of 120 mph. Very concerned for the first time since moving to Florida in '93. We were without power for 6 days from Wilma in '95 and this thing is going to dwarf that storm with respect to sustained winds and wind damage. I'm hoping I have a roof on my business when I am able to get to it and I'm worried about the huge 150 ft. pine and live oak trees which surround my house. Prayers and positive vibes put out in the direction of one of your live long Syracuse Basketball fans/ booster will be much appreciated.
Where do you live in FL? In hurricanes, the worst wind is in the eyewall, immediately east and northeast (right) of the eye in the direction of motion. Winds decrease away from the center but damaging winds can extend for quite a ways from the center. Tons of rain can cause major flooding as well of course.

If you are far enough inland, you will have bad wind and rain, potentially damaging, but the worse by far will be to your east. The storm surge is what often is most devastating, as the wind pushes ocean water onshore. This storm is unique in that given its projected path right along and parallel to the coast for quite a ways in FL and GA, it could produce a surge and massive flooding and damage over a long distance along the coast. But again the surge would be limited to the east coast of the state, not inland, with the projected track.

BTW, Wilma set the record while over the Gulf of most intense (lowest central pressure) of any hurricane in history in the Atlantic pressure, definitely lower than Matthew. Matthew is a very dangerous storm and will produce a lot of damage and flooding. Good luck where you are at! Even 70 mph wind gusts as projected for your location will cause some damage (typical winds in a severe thunderstorm are 60-70 mph gusts).

Stay safe, brother. Please keep us posted when you are able to.

Hoping for the best for you and your family. Stay safe.

I hope you were able to get up some plywood spray painted with 'Stay Away Matthew!' all over the outside of your house. Good luck.

Believe me I'm thinking and praying for you and all those in the path of and affected by this storm. My parents are currently hunkered down in Jupiter and it's starting to pick up intensity. Still with power so that is good. I will never forget going down to help them clean up after Hurricane Andrew when they lived just north of Homestead, Fl. Stay safe my Orange Brother.

Yeah you'll definitely have some strong winds and heavy rain, but at least the west/back side of hurricanes isn't usually as bad as the north and east side. Hopefully your family and property come thru it all fine.

When we woke up this morning, we learned that Matthew is now projected to stay off the coast and not come ashore. I believe and hope this is excellent news for you, my friend. Much love to you and your family.

Well, as of 9 am this morning it looks like all the positive juju that my good friends here at Syracusefan.com have put out in my direction have been extremely effective in warding off the damaging wind and rain!

So, would you all mind doing the same type of thing toward this aim, Syracuse Basketball Wins Another National Championship this coming season... and while we are at it how about also piggy backing "this" onto that ; We land all of our most highly coveted recruiting targets starting with Q and the avalanche of others that will follow.

BTW, thank you!

When we woke up this morning, we learned that Matthew is now projected to stay off the coast and not come ashore. I believe and hope this is excellent news for you, my friend. Much love to you and your family.
Well, as of 9 am this morning it looks like all the positive juju that my good friends here at Syracusefan.com have put out in my direction have been extremely effective in warding off the damaging wind and rain!

Indeed the center is staying just offshore, which makes a huge difference, but still damaging winds and flooding along the immediate coast. Radar shows winds around 100 kts about 4000 ft altitude along and off the coast. Had the center been farther west by say 30 or 40 miles, your weather Flacusian would have been much worse. Glad to hear things aren't that bad, and they should get no worse. Storm still projected to make landfall along SC coast (or very close to there) so those folks, including Charleston SC, are in danger.

Just hanging out here in SE Coastal NC. It is supposed to make a dramatic turn turn once it passes Charleston SC and weaken quite a bit. Our issue here is rain and moderate wind. We've gotten a lot of rain the past month and half and the ground is saturated.

Forecast is 10-15" of rain through Sunday. Combined even with 30-50mph winds and we'll have lots of downed trees/power outages and flooding.

Yay! can't wait.

Stay safe FL and GA. Its still pretty strong and the storm surge high.

Florida has been incredibly lucky since Wilma. We're talking 11 years without a major hurricane. Not sure if Matthew's indirect impacts will qualify as an end to that streak. As with almost any storm, it almost always is never the worst-case scenario. Even Katrina was far from a worst case scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom