Hypotheical: Would you trade the 96, 13 and 16 final four runs for the 87 championship? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hypotheical: Would you trade the 96, 13 and 16 final four runs for the 87 championship?

I wonder why you didn't add 1975 to the list we had to give up. While that was a stunner, to say the least, it was special to me. It allowed me to say to the guys back home (Umass and B.C. fans) see, we went to the final four. Back to the question at hand. One of the best board questions of all time. It basically asks if we would rather be N.C. State than us. Or Nova. Yes. Gun to my head, yes. I will take the two titles.

I thought about it actually. Figured I'd stay with the modern era and the FFs the majority of the board would remeber. 75 was before my time, literally, as I was born in 76. Love reading about that era of Syracuse hoops though and the 75 run. Would have loved to experience it and Manley.

Final Fours are nice for the fans, but i don't put them on the same level as playing IN the championship game. So, taking 96 out of it, i'd trade 13 and 16 for 87—no question. I don't even remember 13 and 16. But, 87, 96, and 2003 are indelible.

My opinion re: the perspective of basketball watchers who aren't already fans of a certain team is that FFs don't register so much in terms of defining a program. People remember championship games.

And, yah, if you actually could have 87 by wish-swapping, it probably would have been an even greater building tool than the 'close call' meant for us. So, maybe we'd have had one, two, or three more super impact recruits over the subsequent years. Maybe not. Maybe the 2003 chemistry would have been affected by some other player in the mix, so who could know... Butterfly effect and all that nonsense...

Another way to look at it is 87 would give Boeheim 2 titles. All sorts of coaches can luck into one title (prime example Kevin Ollie) but only a select group has won multiple titles. That being said, giving up 1996 would be heartbreaking. Trading 2013 for one missed shot in 1987 seems fair, right?

...just make 1 out of two Derrick... Ugh I have never watched it since.
Sitting in the Super Dome...we knew what was going to happen before DC put up a shot.
The foul line used to kill the Orange back then.

But then there was the sloppy play at the end of the first half that let IU make a little comeback.
And Sherm missing one of his little floaters in the lane with 1:42 to go.
I remember growling out loud at that.

But even with the title the season was tainted by losses to G-town.

Keep the Final Four runs...they made for some nice excitement...especially 1996.
CUSE in the HOUSE!

Absolutely. Those FF runs were amazing, but losing the 87 game the way we did was heartbreaking. Also, being able to say we've won two NCs is a big deal. Two NCs means it's not a fluke. For some critics of the program, and of JB, you hear that kind of thing: we only won one NC, so it was just luck, especially when you consider the length of JB's tenure here.

Absolutely. Those FF runs were amazing, but losing the 87 game the way we did was heartbreaking. Also, being able to say we've won two NCs is a big deal. Two NCs means it's not a fluke. For some critics of the program, and of JB, you hear that kind of thing: we only won one NC, so it was just luck, especially when you consider the length of JB's tenure here.

I loved that 87 team as well, great crew. Triche/ Monroe, the seniors the local kids, blue collar hard working kids. Seikaly's progress was amazing that year, so damn athletic. DC and Stevie as the frosh. Sherm makes a HUGE jump as a soph. Brower off the bench, fat out of shape but crafty. Even Joel Katz the walk on. Loved that team. Had 4 of my favorite players of all time on it.. Rony, DC, Sherm, and Stevie.

I would take the national championship from the year in a heartbeat... the road there was fantastic as well

96 great run, Wallace was great and Z Sims/ O Hill but certainly wasn't the crew from 87

This was a really tough decision for me, but ultimately I'd rather have the 1987 championship. It's really neat to have the consistency of a final four in each of 5 decades but a championship is the ultimate feeling. I still remember how devastated I was in 1987 and in turn, how 2003 was the best sports moment of my life.

Last edited:
This was a really tough decision for me, but ultimately I'd rather have the 1987 championship. It's really neat to have the consistency of a final four in each of 5 decades but a championship is the ultimately feeling. I still remember how devastated I was in 1987 and in turn, how 2003 was the best sports moment of my life.
Yeah, i had back to back years with 'best sports moments,' with our NC, and then the Red Sox World Series.

Yes! In a heartbeat.
Just the random thought of that game gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Knowing we had it won and then-------------- that Indiana person who shall go unnamed cut our hearts out.

What would the outcome be in 96 13 and 16 can I take a couple of sweet 16s or bad years.

Might seem like an easy answer to some but not so much for myself. I know it's all about winning championships in the end but Final Four runs are something I also hold very dear as well. Those three runs in 96, 13 and 16 were very special to me for different reasons. All three brought us magical games that have gone down in Syracuse lore. So would you trade Wallace to Cipolla, shutting down the number one seed Hoosiers in the sweet 16 and the comeback in Chicago to finally beat Virginia for a Keith Smart miss or a couple extra made free throws?

I was in 11 years old in 1987, I cried after Syracuse lost that game. But I also got a little misty for different reasons entirely in 96 and 16. I honestly think i'd prefer having those three runs than the championship.

I was 10 and while I didn't cry I was pissed off and didn't sleep that night. Still the most crushing sports loss I've experienced. The 2001 World Series Game 7 is a close 2nd. I'll take the deal

I was 10 and while I didn't cry I was pissed off and didn't sleep that night. Still the most crushing sports loss I've experienced. The 2001 World Series Game 7 is a close 2nd. I'll take the deal

That game 7 was rough. Thought we had it with Soriano's shot in the 8th. But it didn't crush me because we had won the previous 3.

Fair question. Sweet 16, Second round exit, NIT.

After Richmond, probation, UMass (and the Big East upset the week before), and Arkansas (and the Big East upset the week before), that would have been crushing to lose to Georgia at that stage.

That was one of many reasons 1996 was so fun: SU got over the hump after a horrible streak of overtime losses and late-game meltdowns to end the previous few seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom