I’m bringing my kids to their first game | Syracusefan.com

I’m bringing my kids to their first game

Iony44ny

Walk On
What are some suggestions for me for pregame fun for them? Boy 12, girl 7, neither of them are into football, they assume every game I watch is SU lol. I know the quad has the most activity, but I’ve only been to games as a drinking activity, never even really went to the quad. What are some good G-PG Rated things to do pregame to get them pumped? Thanks for any suggestions. Go CUSE!!

Get to campus early (9am?). Take them to the bookstore and buy them some merch. Grab a morning slice at the V. Hit the quad and watch the band. Have them do the Dome stomp.

They'll have fun.

Get to campus early (9am?). Take them to the bookstore and buy them some merch. Grab a morning slice at the V. Hit the quad and watch the band.

They'll have fun.

^^^^^

This. First time I brought all my kids was a Friday afternoon a few years ago against the same opponent, and it worked out really great. Otto, the band, great vibe, probably seem some of the hoopsters, cheerleaders, very college. And there's beer.

Took my kids to Villanova games 7 years ago. Fun food, tshirts, otto stuffed animals, few beers for mom and dad, a few "hey that's my fraternity/sorority house" photos, went to game for 3 quarters until people got cranky, went to Dinosaur for food and then to bed at prob 9.

It's a lot of fun with kids.

What are some suggestions for me for pregame fun for them? Boy 12, girl 7, neither of them are into football, they assume every game I watch is SU lol. I know the quad has the most activity, but I’ve only been to games as a drinking activity, never even really went to the quad. What are some good G-PG Rated things to do pregame to get them pumped? Thanks for any suggestions. Go CUSE!!

Watching the band at Hendricks Chapel is the only thing my 9 year old daughter has any interest in; she tolerates going to games because she gets to see the band play. they'll start about an hour and 45 minutes before kickoff - be a little early so you're not 15 people deep and they can't see anything.

If you’re ever looking for a tailgate North Manley Crew is family friendly. Some of the best and most welcoming people you’ll ever meet. Kids playing lawn games etc.

Just something to keep in mind for the future after you’ve done all the quad stuff.

All the above. Also get the kids some foam earplugs. First time game with potentially uber loud sold out dome. Having some ear insulation may make it more enjoyable for them.

All the above. Also get the kids some foam earplugs. First time game with potentially uber loud sold out dome. Having some ear insulation may make it more enjoyable for them.
Yes this is a MUST. Also bring a bottle of water (unopened) and get a clear plastic bag.

One thing I would just be mindful of is the bandwidth of your daughter. Getting to campus super early followed by a 3.5-hour football game will be fine for the 12-year-old, but that may be a lot for a 7-year-old. You don't want to deal with a nightmare scenario of it being a close/exciting game and her begging to leave. Saying this from personal experience.

Get to campus early (9am?). Take them to the bookstore and buy them some merch. Grab a morning slice at the V. Hit the quad and watch the band. Have them do the Dome stomp.

They'll have fun.
Great list.

If there is time, take them into Crouse to see the Setnor Auditorium. Wonderful old school woodwork and great acoustics.

1595d01fd94f408db8d05015d0d26f31_original.jpg

One thing I would just be mindful of is the bandwidth of your daughter. Getting to campus super early followed by a 3.5-hour football game will be fine for the 12-year-old, but that may be a lot for a 7-year-old. You don't want to deal with a nightmare scenario of it being a close/exciting game and her begging to leave. Saying this from personal experience.

I took my kids when they were 4 & 5 to the Syracuse - Georgetown basketball game, and with about 8 minutes left they were DONE. We left and I listened to to the rest of the game on my phone, and got to listen on my drive as Tyus Battle hit a game winning buzzer beater. That managed to be both exhilarating and deflating at the same time.

I got them both a framed picture of the front page of the sports section from the following day which hang in their bedrooms. I console myself about missing the end of that game with the fact they look forward to going to a game every year still, which I don't think would have been the case if I forced them to stick that one out. But - it still hurts a little.

I took my kids when they were 4 & 5 to the Syracuse - Georgetown basketball game, and with about 8 minutes left they were DONE. We left and I listened to to the rest of the game on my phone, and got to listen on my drive as Tyus Battle hit a game winning buzzer beater. That managed to be both exhilarating and deflating at the same time.

I got them both a framed picture of the front page of the sports section from the following day which hang in their bedrooms. I console myself about missing the end of that game with the fact they look forward to going to a game every year still, which I don't think would have been the case if I forced them to stick that one out. But - it still hurts a little.
I took my son when he was 4 to SU/UConn at MSG in 2018 when they hammered us. Everything about the trip was a nightmare. There was an ice storm outside so the train getting into Penn Station took twice as long. Once the national anthem ended he asked if it was time to leave. So I just tried to survive the first half with a group of obnoxious UConn students behind us, and then at halftime, I threw in the towel and we left.

I took my daughter to her to her first Red Sox game when she was 6. Opening Day, 2009. It was your typical early April day in Boston: cold, raw and miserable. She was so into the game that she literally refused to leave her seat to get food or warm beverages.

I took my son to his first SU hoops game when he was 5. SU vs. St. John's at MSG, 2012. He loved every minute of it, especially an epic Fab Melo dunk, and would not leave until the final horn sounded.

This is just to say that (a) not every kid wants to bail from sporting events early, and (b) Clearly I am the greatest father ever.

Watching the band at Hendricks Chapel is the only thing my 9 year old daughter has any interest in; she tolerates going to games because she gets to see the band play. they'll start about an hour and 45 minutes before kickoff - be a little early so you're not 15 people deep and they can't see anything.
You can watch them March too after their quad performance on the way to enter the dome. They put on a little show marching while heading to the game too from the quad.

Ummmm some great ideas but I've used the following and seen others employ a similar strategy to great success.

1. Park at Skytop, let kids play on the massive dirt mound.
During the game -
2. Sugar
3. Sugar
4. Probably more sugar.

Actually, you can get headphones in the Dome. Go to Guest Services- you have to leave your ID, but they give you a bag with large over ear headphones and a few little games in them. I took my five year old Saturday to Army and it was a lifesaver, she was covering her ears midway through the first quarter (not that I blame her, crazy how loud the PA system is ). Made it through virtually the rest of the game…

I took my son when he was 4 to SU/UConn at MSG in 2018 when they hammered us. Everything about the trip was a nightmare. There was an ice storm outside so the train getting into Penn Station took twice as long. Once the national anthem ended he asked if it was time to leave. So I just tried to survive the first half with a group of obnoxious UConn students behind us, and then at halftime, I threw in the towel and we left.

This exactly, you don't want them to be tapped out before the game starts. It may be fine but you don't know until they've done their first game. My daughter likes the quad experience. There's enough going on for her to at least people watch, see the cheerleaders, get her face painted, hopefully see Otto. Figuring in parking/walking up to the quad I would plan for an hour to 1.5 hrs tops in the quad before going in to the dome to get to your seats. If you do an hour and wish you had gone up earlier, that's a lot better than getting there 2 hours before and the kids are bored 30 minutes in and the game is still 2 - 3 hrs away.

Your daughter is a smart young lady.

That weekend was a nightmare and the UConn fans were the worst.

They'll have fun.
Not for 3 hours they won’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom