I don't know if any caught this info | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I don't know if any caught this info

IMO NJ is overrated. The top talent in the state is good but there is not much depth after that. I think we should focus more on Ohio. Sure the top kids will go to the B1G but there are plenty of good secondary kids who end up at Cincy or as good MAC players that we can pull in. At the very least we play close to Eastern Ohio every other year (Pitt) and Southern Ohio the other years (Louisville). Plus if you schedule an Ohio MAC team OOC you get another game in the area.
considering the top jersey talent is usually about 100 deep with d1 prospects, i guess the argument could be made that the 2nd 100 is only going to d1aas or ivy.

I think Dino did an amazing job considering he turned over 80% of the recruiting class, which also went up in quality (look where the kids who were run off ultimately ended up), and got guys who were good for his system.

Bringing in high rated players for the sake of increasing our recruiting rankings means nothing if they don't fit the system.

Dino knows who will work in his system. If they are rated higher, all the better but I trust him to build his foundation with system guys.

In the last ten years or so all national champions had top 5 recruiting classes a few times over just prior to winning it all.

considering the top jersey talent is usually about 100 deep with d1 prospects, i guess the argument could be made that the 2nd 100 is only going to d1aas or ivy.

You have a typo. I think you meant NJ is usually ten deep with d1 prospects. And most of those kids rarely pan out. Kids outside the NJ top 10 usually end up in the MAC or 1AA. Rutgers the last 4 years has plenty of top 10 NJ kids and they aren't any good. Take a look at past classes. The state is more hype than substance.

For comparison 3 star or higher players in Ohio 71 vs in NJ 32

Last edited:
Is it fair to say that the ranking of the class that Babers just brought in is higher than what the presumed rank of Shafer's class would have been? Or am I not getting that right?

Is it fair to say that the ranking of the class that Babers just brought in is higher than what the presumed rank of Shafer's class would have been? Or am I not getting that right?

I think you are correct and the quality seems to be higher also just based on where the Shafer recruits ended up. I think only Scott improved his situation. Everyone else I don't think made a P5 school. I think we could have been in some trouble.

Let's not get to carried away...3 of the best players were HCSS holdovers and we had the 15th best class of the 27 schools that had HC changes.

Additionally, no impact players (Even grumpy HCDM brought some in coming off horrible years of HCGR), weak attempt to build and staff to recruit the NE ...

How do you know there are no "impact players"???
And what's with the "weak attempt to build staff"? He got pretty much his whole crew from Bowling Green. Who did he target as a coach that he failed to get?

Yes, Marrone pulled a few impact players in his first couple years, but then tired of recruiting and the results reflected that. Shafer was personable, but most of his 4 star guys never made it to campus. I'll give him credit for some good young talent that we saw last year, but I don't get the reason for your slam of Dino's efforts.

Babers got a class in the top half of college football in a year that saw a change in head coach and a turnover of 80% of the recruiting class. The quality of the offers the kids we landed got is much better than the offers the Shafer kids had, by and large. I think Dino is doing great.

Sure looks like it to me. Just look at the offers of the kids we got, and look at who we flipped people from - Illinois, Miami and Arizona. I mean, when did we ever do that?

This class looks good on paper and film for sure. It's amazing how quickly things came together for HCDB and staff. It shows us that they get recruiting and building relationships. The foundation is being laid and 2017 will complete that. How good is the class of 2016? I'll default to what HCDB said "It takes about 2 and a half years to tell how good a recruiting class is." For anyone to say we don't have impact players or OMG THIS CLASS IS AMAZING, needs to take a step back and give it a bit of time. We should be looking back at the classes from 2013 and 2014 to see how they are doing now.
2013 is not pretty. Estime has shown us flashes. Lost of kids gone form it.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/183/class/2013

2014 of the top 5 recruits the only one left is Enoicy. Franklin, Ishmael, and Cordy have been solid
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/183/class/2014

These two classes show how badly we needed a good class this year and next we need a great one.

This class looks good on paper and film for sure. It's amazing how quickly things came together for HCDB and staff. It shows us that they get recruiting and building relationships. The foundation is being laid and 2017 will complete that. How good is the class of 2016? I'll default to what HCDB said "It takes about 2 and a half years to tell how good a recruiting class is." For anyone to say we don't have impact players or OMG THIS CLASS IS AMAZING, needs to take a step back and give it a bit of time. We should be looking back at the classes from 2013 and 2014 to see how they are doing now.
2013 is not pretty. Estime has shown us flashes. Lost of kids gone form it.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/183/class/2013

2014 of the top 5 recruits the only one left is Enoicy. Franklin, Ishmael, and Cordy have been solid
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/183/class/2014

These two classes show how badly we needed a good class this year and next we need a great one.

OOOOF.

2013 pretty awful - a few of the JUCO guys were solid, but other than Briz, very little left.

2014 - pretty much zero of the "top" guys still here, although some of the lower/NR guys have worked out ok.

IF Dino and crew succeed in putting an exciting, competitive product on the field next year, along with a full year to recruit, we should see another uptick in the quality of the players we're able to land.

You have a typo. I think you meant NJ is usually ten deep with d1 prospects. And most of those kids rarely pan out. Kids outside the NJ top 10 usually end up in the MAC or 1AA. Rutgers the last 4 years has plenty of top 10 NJ kids and they aren't any good. Take a look at past classes. The state is more hype than substance.

For comparison 3 star or higher players in Ohio 71 vs in NJ 32
truth is, i dont care for recruiting, but a quick check shows me the jersey # is usually around 50 for D1 and another 50 at d1aa.

the kids that go to big programs and sit should be going to Syracuse and a lot are now going to temple of all places.

penn st does well there, diaco did great last year.

its not a state to be dismissed as top heavy. 50 is a good #.

WOW. Tough post considering the circumstances that he came in under and timeframe. No Impact players? and you know this how? Mass and CT? Good luck building a winner there, why not go to VT and Maine while you are at it, good lord

Please, Please, Please Put your junk away Art, please

Don't forget Rhode Island and New Hampshire!!

Let's not get to carried away...3 of the best players were HCSS holdovers and we had the 15th best class of the 27 schools that had HC changes.

Additionally, no impact players (Even grumpy HCDM brought some in coming off horrible years of HCGR), weak attempt to build and staff to recruit the NE (his comments today further reflect this by not mentioning CT & MA which are not hotbeds but areas which are under recruited and states that have served us well in the past and more importantly ounces we can win).
This form the leader of the "Power of positive thinking " world seminar.

I think you are correct and the quality seems to be higher also just based on where the Shafer recruits ended up. I think only Scott improved his situation. Everyone else I don't think made a P5 school. I think we could have been in some trouble.
I agree. SS was a good man but his recruiting wasn't anything special. Our 2014 class was clearly an upgrade but I think the ACC move helped I will give the credit to SS. Now I get recruiting to Syracuse for FB isn't easy but the success of the Marrone Era and bringing us back to mediocrity was eroded very quickly.

Babers has a chance to get us eventually into the top 35 for recruiting in a class. SS and his staff did well with what they had but they took a lot of diamonds in the rough really early and looking back especially in this class had a lot of potential overreaches.

Not a criticism of the class (because what the heck do I know?) but is it my imagination or have these recruiting websites become more liberal with the handing out of 3 stars than they used to be? I think 4 and 5 stars are now given to the top 300 players and everyone in the top 750 gets at least three stars. I want to say in the past that 5 stars was top 50 like it is now but 4 stars was 51-150, maybe 250, but not 300. Similarly I think they used to draw the line on 3 stars before player #750.

If we figure that most FBS teams are taking 20 or so kids a year, that works out to 2500 or so kids. That means a little less than a third of all incoming recruits are three stars or better. If we just count the Power 5 who get almost all of the 5, 4, and 3 star kids, we're talking nearly 3/4 of all incoming kids are three stars or better.

Marrone focused really heavily on NY and he established really good street cred with the coaches... and all the bigshot kids went to the big boys. If we can grab a few very solid NY kids, great. Ditto with Jersey. I don't think either state has depth, especially NY. I will be quite happy if we continue to hit Florida, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin hard, not to mention PA and the DMV

1. We improved our ranking under Babers. His start point was lower than other new HCs.
2. Marrone had issues getting impact kids. That was one of his weaknesses.
3. Are you serious about CT & MA? Can you even name 3 NFL players combined from those states? Focusing on states that produce maybe 1-2 P5 level kids a year isn't smart. They aren't recruited for a reason.

1. Obviously, the class size grew
1a. False - I.e UCF and the top 500 recruits Scott Frost added
2. Agree - but to say this class is much better is false at this point
3. There are 3o combined NFL players from CT and MA in the league right now (more than from heavily recruited Maryland) - obviously these states shouldn't be the focus but they shouldn't be forgotten either

Dino did a good job and recruited the areas he and his staff knew. I'm sure he and the staff will only improve in '17. I do think his decision to let his staff coach the bowl game and to not add staff from other p5 schools hurt us in this cycle and his decision (so far) to not get someone for the North East will hurt us going forward.

Last edited:
Marrone focused really heavily on NY and he established really good street cred with the coaches... and all the bigshot kids went to the big boys. If we can grab a few very solid NY kids, great. Ditto with Jersey. I don't think either state has depth, especially NY. I will be quite happy if we continue to hit Florida, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin hard, not to mention PA and the DMV

NY strikes me as a state where we won't land big fish until we're good again. Oddly enough I think the SU football brand is probably better outside our usual recruiting radius than within it at the moment. Within is we have a cynical coaches and teens thinking "SU sucks!" because of our last few seasons. Outside I imagine we're just not thought of that much, which at this point is probably a blessing in disguise.

To be fair, Evan Adams, who I still believe will be in the NFL after his time is done here, also came from CT. But I do think those states should be an afterthought to NY/NJ/PA and the tidewater region. Just better athletes there than CT and MA.

All I can say is that I thought we were pleased with the class that just got sent elsewhere and wound up with lower level offers. I am therefore chastened with respect to evaluating classes with my orange glasses on. We will just have to wait until next year to make a proper evaluation. That said, we certainly don't look any worse for the change in staff.

If we can land a top 30-35 class and find an elite quarterback and 2 or 3 high level skill position players - that just might be enough for us to contend for an ACC title in a down year. We don't need superstar NFL talent in the trenches for this system to work - that's the key thing.

FrancoPizza said:
If we can land a top 30-35 class and find an elite quarterback and 2 or 3 high level skill position players - that just might be enough for us to contend for an ACC title in a down year. We don't need superstar NFL talent in the trenches for this system to work - that's the key thing.

This offense if it's working - won't even need a down year. People say (including me from time to time) that the Big 12 doesn't play D. But in the case of Baylor, they just don't get stopped. It overcomes high end defenses.