I don't want to overstate anything | Syracusefan.com

I don't want to overstate anything

But I feel like we've gotten off to a pretty good start and might be a pretty good team.

At the beginning of the season I felt we were a bubble team. Now, I think we're a solid 4-5 seed caliber team. I fully expect us to lose some games this year when outside shots aren't falling, but there's no reason we shouldn't comfortably make the tournament.

At the beginning of the season I felt we were a bubble team. Now, I think we're a solid 4-5 seed caliber team. I fully expect us to lose some games this year when outside shots aren't falling, but there's no reason we shouldn't comfortably make the tournament.

We'll definitely lose to someone we're supposed to beat. But that suggests we might snatch one from someone we're supposed to lose to, as well.

Certainly this week will be a big part of making the tourney because A&M is quality and UConn has a chance to scrape some wins together in their league.

See no reason Cuse can't make the dance and wreak havoc in that format no matter what seed they are.

Hey, why not!
TAMU beat a very good Gonzaga team whose big men would have eaten Coleman alive. He would have fouled out in 10 minutes of play.

Certainly this week will be a big part of making the tourney because A&M is quality and UConn has a chance to scrape some wins together in their league.
Two great wins. UCONN and A&M are surely tournament teams and A&M will be a top 25 team all season

19-23 from the line that made a difference today it really really did. Especially because A+M outshot us from the field but not from 3. Of course inside layups were a part of that.

Here is a HUGE stat.
Bilas said it live in game, JB quote "If we don't shoot good we won't beat anybody... anybody"
We are now 0 for 6 against our opponents in fg attempts taken after you count the foul shots.
On average we are down about 3 but today it was 6-7. Good thing is we have time to improve on that :)

TAMU beat a very good Gonzaga team whose big men would have eaten Coleman alive. He would have fouled out in 10 minutes of play.

I agree completely. But it seems to be about matchups. I still have alternate nightmares about SU facing UCONN in a regional in 2003.

When everyone overlooks Syracuse, they have a great season. To all the sports writers, "Nothin' to see here, just keep moving." Let's Go Orange!
But how they came up with that determination is what bothers me. We have a senior backcourt and a very highly rated recruiting class. We should be ranked. I personally had concerned because the lack of inside size concerned me, and still does through not so much. The people "unranking" us were not putting any of that thought into it.

At the risk of tooting my own horn (ok, this isn't a risk, it's a total shamesless plug for myself:p:D) I'd like to quote what I said before the season.

"I think that I must be much more optimistic than you all. I think that this team can easily be a 3-5 seed in the tourney and will score a ton this year. I see Gbinije as a competitor for ACC player of the year and a second or third team All American sort of player. Our frontcourt will be fine or even good, with the exception of the 5 spot. I think what we underestimate is how much more important the pg and wings are than the bigs in college hoops. Because of the physical nature of play and the amount that refs let defenses get away with, smaller teams can compete on defense in college. We'll be above average (nationally) on defense and really good on offence. That's a good combination."

This feels about right! Go Cuse!

Our Achilles heel this year is depth. If one (or more) of our core six goes out for any reason we are vulnerable.

OttoinGrotto said:
But I feel like we've gotten off to a pretty good start and might be a pretty good team.

And they are having fun and playing with emotion. Refreshing to see Lydon waving his arms. Mal with a huge smile slapping his teammates. Very good to see them fired up.

44cuse

Our senior backcourt is making everyone else play better. They play confident and that confidence is rubbing off their teammates. I was really surprised how our bigs battled against bigger front lines. I thought Coleman did a real good job in the middle and rebounding the ball. He put his big body on people today. Lyndon strugggled rebounding during the game. He got hands on the ball but got bodied off the ball. He does a good job of keeping the ball alive. He did get a couple of big boards late in the game. This team has the ability to get to the foul line which is a weapon that we don't usually have. It played a big part in today's and yesterday's wins. They have found a good balance between driving and shooting the three. This team can get a lot better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom