I feel like I've watched this game before... | Syracusefan.com

I feel like I've watched this game before...

Yup, so we went 8 deep in first half, gave up 33, game tied. Then we went 6 deep in 2nd half, gave up about 50 and lost by about 10. Same ole same ole lately and dont see any reason it will change. The good news is we were up 6 w 8 to go, the game was winnable. But we are not in a position to finish a game against a real good team w no use of bench...Go Cuse

It does seem to be a pattern - would be nice if we could sprinkle in a secondary defense at times. Just to give them a different look. They sliced up that zone, especially when Lydon was in.

We are a bad basketball team plain and simple.
Yes and no. I am not convinced a bad team is up 6 w 8 to go against a potential elite 8 team. But who knows its all in a fans perspective

Yes and no. I am not convinced a bad team is up 6 w 8 to go against a potential elite 8 team. But who knows its all in a fans perspective

It happens, good team have letdowns, we couldn't beat Clemson at home, or St Johns, or Wisc. This team just isn't good.

Our two guards on the bench were sure going to stop their bigs from getting 30 points inside in the 2nd half...righhhhhhht...
What happened in first half? And you are kinda missing the point. When nobody gets a blow in 2nd half except one guy it gets kinda tough to play good defense. If you dont believe me look at the discrepancy in pts between 1st and 2nd half. But whatever, we are all gonna believe what we wanna believe.

There not a terrible team by any stretch but this team is staring down the barrel of 1-7 or 1-8 in conference. The last six or so minutes of the second half this team consistently collapses. They were down 3 with six ad a half to go and it might as well have been 20

It does seem to be a pattern - would be nice if we could sprinkle in a secondary defense at times. Just to give them a different look. They sliced up that zone, especially when Lydon was in.

I was surprised at how much he hurt us tonight out there (except of course for the awesome block toward the end).

by the way, we did use another look - the press. I think it resulted in 4 dunks.

Yup, so we went 8 deep in first half, gave up 33, game tied. Then we went 6 deep in 2nd half, gave up about 50 and lost by about 10. Same ole same ole lately and dont see any reason it will change. The good news is we were up 6 w 8 to go, the game was winnable. But we are not in a position to finish a game against a real good team w no use of bench...Go Cuse

We were up 6? I only remember it being 3 but I was doing a few other things during the game at times.

No, I'm not missing the point. The point is we have no interior defense and no bench. Giving Trevor or Mike/Malachi a 2 min rest is not going to help our interior defense at all. Again, we also have no bench, so you're also giving up our only offense from tonight in Cooney and Malachi.

That's a bad post. This team battled their asses off tonight. The other squad was just better.

Sure we battled, and yes Unc is better, it isn't just about tonight, its the Wisc game, the Clemson game, the St Johns game, we just aren't that good.

We were up 6? I only remember it being 3 but I was doing a few other things during the game at times.
Cooney hit a three to put us up 6. It was immediately answered at the other end.

I was surprised at how much he hurt us tonight out there (except of course for the awesome block toward the end).

by the way, we did use another look - the press. I think it resulted in 4 dunks.

We have a bad press. There are different ways to press. Ours is, and has always been, a bad way.

Layup or turnover...80/20 split...doesn't have to be that way. Watch Louisville

I think they played well tonight. Good rebounding, good foul shooting, scrappy play. G had a rough game but other than that I think they played as well as they are capable. We just don't have the bigs.

Sure we battled, and yes Unc is better, it isn't just about tonight, its the Wisc game, the Clemson game, the St Johns game, we just aren't that good.

We were 200% better tonight than any of those other games. I'll take tonight's team every game the rest of the season.

No, I'm not missing the point. The point is we have no interior defense and no bench. Giving Trevor or Mike/Malachi a 2 min rest is not going to help our interior defense at all. Again, we also have no bench, so you're also giving up our only offense from tonight in Cooney and Malachi.
The diff between 51 to 33 is tough to explain, other than they cant keep up the intensity for 40 mins. Now why cant they keep up the intensity? Depends on your perspective i guess. Could be unc made a big adjustment, very big, or it could be plain and simple they just wore us down.....or both...

If we played like we played tonight against those three teams, we would have won by 20 in each of those games.

I think that is more an element of being gassed. Just being a little less active opens up everything -- makes the quick entry and snap pass inside that much easier.

Not sure if the man to man would work better when we are really tired.

We are a bad basketball team plain and simple.

This board is great at thinking things are better than they are when things are good, and much worse than they are when things are bad. Being upset about this team's weaknesses seems like a waste of energy.

A bad basketball team would've been dominated start to finish. This team has talent throughout their short rotation. They are unable to match teams for the full 40 minutes because a small forward is playing the point and a 3/4 (Lydon) has to play in the middle of the zone for much of the game. As a result, we give up a lot of layups and dunks and often find it hard to get into our offense. Lydon and G are excellent players but aren't suited for the roles they are often forced to play on this team. Like JB said, even if this team had someone like Baye we'd be ok.

Enjoy watching players like G, Cooney, Mali, and Lydon - and relax. This team is middle of the road in a loaded ACC, and there's not much we can do about that with our personnel. The program is still considered elite and is still attracting high end talent. Support the program and hope Battle, Chukwu, Mali, and Lydon can bring us back to the level we are accustomed to next year.

Ands its funny , you say we have no bench, i more or less agree w you! But when we used the bench in first half the game was tied! It is what it is. We ll see how it shakes out next game. Go Cuse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom