I have to give Vitale some props | Syracusefan.com

I have to give Vitale some props

NYCSUGrad

All Conference
He was extremely balanced in his commentary last night, maybe because he has such respect for both programs. He didn't hesitate to call them both out simultaneously during the first lackluster half, though.

This would not have happened five years ago.

Sean McDonohue was great too.

Not really.

He said some nice things about Syracuse -- that is because he is an analyst and says nice things about every team. That is his job and he is good at that.

But it is also about his immediate reaction to plays. What he says on instinct when watching a play makes it clear he is a homer. Just listen to the big plays in the last 15 seconds and his reactions were purely that of a Duke homer even if he did not say much.

Of course he said some nice things about Syracuse. That's what that obsequious azzhole does for a living ... sell the college game.

But anyone who has watched him for years knows that one of his enduring story lines is the beauty and greatness of Duke.

Vitale is a fool. Most of what he utters is superficial, obvious nonsense. The guy never had an insight in his life. He just babbles.

Every moment you listen to Dick Vitale makes you that much dumber.

Seth Greenberg said more intelligent things about the game in 5 minutes in the post game sho than Vitale said in 1.5 hours of play-by-play.

When G got called for his 3rd foul Vitale said nothing and McDonough had to be the color guy and call it out for the awful call it was.

Vitale wasn't that good last night he just wasn't completely intolerable.

Of course he said some nice things about Syracuse. That's what that obsequious azzhole does for a living ... sell the college game.

But anyone who has watched him for years knows that one of his enduring story lines is the beauty and greatness of Duke.

Vitale is a fool. Most of what he utters is superficial, obvious nonsense. The guy never had an insight in his life. He just babbles.

Seth Greenberg said more intelligent things about the game in 5 minutes in the post game sho than Vitale said in 1.5 hours of play-by-play.
They have to take Jay Williams off the studio coverage. Seth owns him badly in every segment. Jay comes off looking unprepared and foolish.

When G got called for his 3rd foul Vitale said nothing and McDonough had to be the color guy and call it out for the awful call it was.

Actually I had the call before the Ref did. It looked to me that G pushed a little to much with his left arm. And G seem to know it too with his sheepish reaction. Couldn't tell if the Duke player had his foot in the arc or not.

They have to take Jay Williams off the studio coverage. Seth owns him badly in every segment. Jay comes off looking unprepared and foolish.
Jay has been awful for years. I don't think they actually care.

He was extremely balanced in his commentary last night, maybe because he has such respect for both programs. He didn't hesitate to call them both out simultaneously during the first lackluster half, though.

This would not have happened five years ago.

Sean McDonohue was great too.
i couldn't hear a word the announcers were saying

During the telecast last night, I thought to myself that you could tell how old Vitale is getting--he just doesn't have the energy to be as boisterously obnoxious as he used to be.

He's better when he's toned down.

Alsacs said:
When G got called for his 3rd foul Vitale said nothing and McDonough had to be the color guy and call it out for the awful call it was. Vitale wasn't that good last night he just wasn't completely intolerable.

Actually, Vitale did say something. As soon as they called it, he said (about G) "yep, and he knew he did it as soon as he heard the whistle" as if it was obvious. That's when McDonough, while watching the replay had to say, "eh, can you explain that rule to me then??"

When duke would do something well, Vitale would yell about how great it was. Not so much for Syracuse. A great example, Greyson Allen makes a shot and he roars about it. Meanwhile G takes it right to the goal and scores and not a peep.

Jay has been awful for years. I don't think they actually care.
I agree, it is just getting embarrassing. Seth really brings incite from a coaches perspective, and then Jay seems to just have to throw something in and it's just sad.

When duke would do something well, Vitale would yell about how great it was. Not so much for Syracuse. A great example, Greyson Allen makes a shot and he roars about it. Meanwhile G takes it right to the goal and scores and not a peep.
When Allen scored his 9 points at the end of the half Vitale went more crazy than when this happened.
CZFvDwmUMAAs10s.png

i couldn't hear a word the announcers were saying

Tbe audio really was terrible...too much crowd...i've noticed this more and more aross a bunch of content (sports and otherwise)

Dick Vitale is the most important person in the history of college basketball, in my opinion.

I loved Vitale when I was young. Then grew to "hate" him. Now, at the end of his career and as I get a little older and more mature, I appreciate him. He is college basketball. There's no one in history that's been a bigger cheerleader for the game than him and there's going to be a giant hole in the college basketball world when he retires.

Sorry, Duke Vitale is a total douche. He's a Depends Dandy. Just like Duke, I can't stand the guy.

After halftime Dick Vitale ripped the call on G and said that was a foul on Duke unless I'm totally misremembering everything.

Yeah, he ripped the call way after it happened. He said nothing when it happened. It was clearly a very bad call. After that call I thought the game was over no matter what.

How old are you? Really. This post is pretty asinine, imo. He was fairly neutral I thought for a Duke broadcast. As he has become older he has stuck to more of his token phrases and such of course but he is no fool. He does a LOT for cancer research and is a big reason why the college game is as big as it is. Sure he is on the decline but so what? He's very nice in person as well.

I loved Vitale when I was young. Then grew to "hate" him. Now, at the end of his career and as I get a little older and more mature, I appreciate him. He is college basketball. There's no one in history that's been a bigger cheerleader for the game than him and there's going to be a giant hole in the college basketball world when he retires.

This.

Dick Vitale is the most important person in the history of college basketball, in my opinion.

I think he is a great ambassador for the game. Loves college basketball and does promote it well for all teams. A hall of famer on that alone.

But you can never fully take the Dookie V aspect away from him. It is what it is, but it should hardly define his love for college basketball.

After halftime Dick Vitale ripped the call on G and said that was a foul on Duke unless I'm totally misremembering everything.

I wasn't sure if he was ripping it or endorsing it. It was hard to hear at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom