I hope the Yankees have the courage to be sellers | Syracusefan.com

I hope the Yankees have the courage to be sellers

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
Even with Tanaka healthy, I thought they were two good starting pitchers away from the post season. Tanaka is out at least until mid-August and Pineda is a mystery. Adding a Cliff Lee or an Ian Kennedy is not going to be enough in my opinion. There are players on the Yankee roster with some trade value. I realize the Yankees feel pressure to continue to compete this season, but this is a great opportunity to replenish the farm system.

These are players that might be of interest. Some are only worth a bucket of balls, but the Yankees may as well take what they can get.

Pitchers:
Betances (The Yankees would need a sweet deal)
Kuroda
Robertson
Phelps
Warren
Thornton
Kelley

Position Players:
Cervelli
Suzuki
Roberts
Johnson
Solarte

Beltran, Ellsbury, Gardner (long term contract, but salary isn't that high), McCann, and Teixeira are probably of no interest to teams because of the lengths of their contracts.

I think Kuroda and Robertson would definitely go and the Yankees will get plenty in return.

They are 5 games out of 1st and 3.5 out of the WC and you want them to be sellers?

Shawn91111 said:
They are 5 games out of 1st and 3.5 out of the WC and you want them to be sellers?
Yes, how many games will they be out in two weeks with a rotation of Kuroda, Phelps, McCarthy, Green, and Whitley? Compare those guys to the rotations of the teams with whom they are competing, including the Rays and Sox.

How many good starting pitchers can this team add at the deadline? It won't be enough.

I think they will stay relatively relevant for the rest of this month and into August. In the mean time they will attempt to reach the post season by buying up (ie trading prospects) money dumps like Cliff Lee, Chase Headley, Dan Uggla, whatever for the postseason run, to no avail.

Noexcuse said:
In the mean time they will attempt to reach the post season by buying up (ie trading prospects) money dumps like Cliff Lee, Chase Headley, Dan Uggla, whatever for the postseason run, to no avail.
Yes, that is what I would like to avoid.

I think they will stay relatively relevant for the rest of this month and into August. In the mean time they will attempt to reach the post season by buying up (ie trading prospects) money dumps like Cliff Lee, Chase Headley, Dan Uggla, whatever for the postseason run, to no avail.

Uggla? Uggla makes Roberts look like Cano. Come on

Yes, how many games will they be out in two weeks with a rotation of Kuroda, Phelps, McCarthy, Green, and Whitley? Compare those guys to the rotations of the teams with whom they are competing, including the Rays and Sox.

How many good starting pitchers can this team add at the deadline? It won't be enough.

They have been playing that way (minus Tanaka) since early May when CC, Nova and Pineda were all out

Shawn91111 said:
They have been playing that way (minus Tanaka) since early May when CC, Nova and Pineda were all out
With Tanaka healthy for all but two weeks, this was a .500 team. Run differential suggests the team is fortunate to be where it is. Other teams will be looking to improve themselves as well. .500 won't get this team to the postseason. You expect things to get better with Tanaka out for six weeks? I wish I had your optimism. I am content holding onto prospects, perhaps acquiring some new youth, and looking to the future.

With Tanaka healthy for all but two weeks, this was a .500 team. Run differential suggests the team is fortunate to be where it is. Other teams will be looking to improve themselves as well. .500 won't get this team to the postseason. You expect things to get better with Tanaka out for six weeks? I wish I had your optimism. I am content holding onto prospects, perhaps acquiring some new youth, and looking to the future.

Exactly youth for who, maybe you didnt look at the AL East, its not really burning down the house, as bad as the Yankees have been they are 3 games out of a spot, besides how lights out Tanaka had been early, had been 1-3 with a 4.25 in his last 4 starts.

Shawn91111 said:
Exactly youth for who, maybe you didnt look at the AL East, its not really burning down the house, as bad as the Yankees have been they are 3 games out of a spot, besides how lights out Tanaka had been early, had been 1-3 with a 4.25 in his last 4 starts.
See the list above. The Yankees have pieces to move. They don't have a prize like Price, but they can get something for these guys.

So you're saying Tanaka wasn't that great? You believe he is replaceable? Again, I envy your optimism.

See the list above. The Yankees have pieces to move. They don't have a prize like Price, but they can get something for these guys.

So you're saying Tanaka wasn't that great? You believe he is replaceable? Again, I envy your optimism.

You really have an issue with reading comprehension don't you

Shawn91111 said:
You really have an issue with reading comprehension don't you
No, you weren't playing down Tanaka's value?

No, you weren't playing down Tanaka's value?

In what way? I said he was lights out in the beginning and then listed his last 4 starts.

Then that automatically means i said he wasnt that great.

As I said reading comprehension problem

The Yankees and especially Cashman like to trade prospects for their "wants" Considering the catching depth down in the farm system I can see Sanchez being used as trade bait. Acouple former big time prospects can be thrown in just to make room for a few kids that are improving instead of plummeting as they have. I think of Tyler Austin and Heathcott as two prospects that just bombed out their hopes this season. I thnk the Yankees are most upset with Heathcott's play. Aaron Judge is now the prince of the farm power Jagielo is still rising and might get a spring invite for third base consideration. I doubt that A-Hole will have any thing left for MLB. At least thats the hope. Losing Jeter and having that scumbag come back would be terrible.

Shawn91111 said:
In what way? I said he was lights out in the beginning and then listed his last 4 starts. Then that automatically means i said he wasnt that great. As I said reading comprehension problem
not sure why you had to get snotty. Did I do something to wrong you?

Tanaka was 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA and the team was barely .500. I guess you are right about my comprehension skills because I don't see the significance of his bad last four starts. What point are you making?

Last edited:
not sure why you had to get snotty. Did I do something to wrong you?

Tanaka was 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA and the team was barely .500. I guess you are right about my comprehension skills because I don't see the significance of his bad last four starts. What point are you making?

Looks like you're just not going to get it. Good luck with the Yankees being sellers

The Yankees and especially Cashman like to trade prospects for their "wants" Considering the catching depth down in the farm system I can see Sanchez being used as trade bait. Acouple former big time prospects can be thrown in just to make room for a few kids that are improving instead of plummeting as they have. I think of Tyler Austin and Heathcott as two prospects that just bombed out their hopes this season. I thnk the Yankees are most upset with Heathcott's play. Aaron Judge is now the prince of the farm power Jagielo is still rising and might get a spring invite for third base consideration. I doubt that A-Hole will have any thing left for MLB. At least thats the hope. Losing Jeter and having that scumbag come back would be terrible.

Slade's issue is his health, he has had knee issues for a few years now, cut short his 2013 season and continues to be an issue this year.

Shawn91111 said:
Looks like you're just not going to get it. Good luck with the Yankees being sellers
just tell me what your point was; no need to be mean.

just tell me what your point was; no need to be mean.
I'm not trying to br mean but these players haven't maintained their playing level and might be expendable in a trade. I know Heathcot has had leg issues and Austin has back problems but the system needs to be built up for eventual use in NY. Both seem to have slipped closer to civilian life.Sanchwz O'Brien and Severino are advancing steadily. Whether they make it might be a result of trades or injuries on the big club. Its hard to say which is the closest at this time. The Yankees will be taking a huge hit personality wise when Derek leaves. There has always been a "star player to focus attention on for the fans. It might be one of these kids if they get the chance and traded away by Cashman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom