i just looked at nova's schedule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

i just looked at nova's schedule

This season, Xavier's best wins are beating a team near the middle of the pack in the Big 10 in Michigan, Butler (we counting this?), Providence twice (we counting this too?), Cinci (4th in a mid-major conference), Dayton - who's a legit team but still a mid-major in all regards, and Nova.

If you walked up to an NC State fan, for example, prior to this season and told them they'd win all of those games, their answer would be somewhere along the lines of 'duh' or 'well yeah, I sure as hell hope we would.' And that's where I'm putting Xavier in terms of caliber. They're like an NC State (substitute any other mildly successful power conf. program). Nova and maybe, maybe Dayton would be games that would make them sweat.

We're going to continue to butt heads and that's fine. I'll play the passive-aggressive shtick when I see Xavier labeled as a mid-major and their weak schedule. That ship has sailed at least a decade ago. I'm shocked when posters (and you're a good poster) and fans continue to devalue what Xavier brings to the table and how good their teams are. It's gotten to the point where I have heard Feinstein, Childers, etc. on Sirius College Sports put callers in their place regarding their profile and team.

Look they aren't elite or a powerhouse but they are a very solid program. I would consider them EASILY better than NCSU. Sure, Syracuse would be favored most often vs them but much of that would be due to name brand recognition. I'd be curious what the line would be in recent years had we played them. Now, just like I picked Dayton to beat SU, I would've done the same in any of these recent years had SU played Xavier in the Tourney. Maybe that's just me but I wouldn't be alone that's for sure.

Maybe there is a resident bracketologist here. I'm no expert and not even close to one. From my understanding though a SOS of in the 40s/50s is still good if not vey good. Average starts getting into the 70s/80s and above. Gonzaga's is always pretty weak and their average has been around 115 the past decade or so. I'm not sure about all of this, but, SOS is from my understanding is a viable criteria and measuring stick when looking at a team's profile by the committee.

Last edited:
Xavier has more NCAA tournament wins than every school in the old ACC - except Duke and UNC - since GTech made the Final Four in 2004. Every year I expect X to do better than the old ACC, minus Duke and UNC obviously, in the NCAAT.

We're going to continue to butt heads and that's fine. I'll play the passive-aggressive shtick when I see Xavier labeled as a mid-major and their weak schedule. That ship has sailed decades ago. I'm shocked when posters (and you're a good poster) and fans continue to devalue what Xavier brings to the table and how good their teams are. It's gotten to the point where I have heard Feinstein, Childers, etc. on Sirius College Sports put callers in their place regarding their profile and team.

Look they aren't elite or a powerhouse but they are a very solid program. I would consider them EASILY better than NCSU. Sure, Syracuse would be favored most often vs them but much of that would be due to name brand recognition. I'd be curious what the line would be in recent years had we played them. Now, just like I picked Dayton to beat SU, I would've done the same in any of these recent years had SU played Xavier in the Tourney. Maybe that's just me but I wouldn't be alone that's for sure.

Maybe there is a resident bracketologist here. I'm no expert and not even close to one. From my understanding though a SOS of in the 40s/50s is still good if not vey good. Average starts getting into the 70s/80s and above. Gonzaga's is always pretty weak and their average has been around 115 the past decade or so. I'm not sure about all of this, but, SOS is from my understanding is a viable criteria and measuring stick when looking at a team's profile by the committee.

Didn't read your response. Too long. I guess you win.

The post your responding to is the one I deleted (before your post) and referenced above. NC State was a bad comparison (and so was the other like 4 schools I tried to use as an example lol).

Xavier sucks and will always suck.

Xavier has more NCAA tournament wins than every school in the old ACC - except Duke and UNC - since GTech made the Final Four in 2004. Every year I expect X to do better than the old ACC, minus Duke and UNC obviously, in the NCAAT.

nah, they suck.

Maryland - from their time in the ACC - NC State, Wake Forest, and Virginia have more NCAAT wins. GT is tied at 23. This is per ESPN's Tournament history lookup tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mistake is adding the 3 'newbies'. Put them in the old Big East and they'd struggle to make the Tourney.

Xavier would struggle to make the Tourney? From 2007-2013 the KenPom ratings of Xavier were 35, 18, 20, 17, 39, 48. I know you will say it -- Ken Pom sucks. So let's go with results -- it made the sweet 16, 6 times in the last 12 years, the elite 8 twice. In the past 3 years it has managed to consistnetly beat old Big East schools that were somehow able to make the tourney fairly regularly,

Butler would struggle to have ever made the Tourney? Butler has had KP's of 38,33, 9, 40, 19, 19, in years between 2005 and 2013. And once again, I know Ken Pom sucks. So do 3 sweet 16's, and 2 title games over those year. And they have also managed to do quite well against Big East teams that regularly made the tournament in the Old Big East.

nah, they suck.

Maryland - from their time in the ACC - NC State, Wake Forest, and Virginia have more NCAAT wins. GT is tied at 23. This is per ESPN's Tournament history lookup tool.

You are using comparable data over what is at least a 40 year stretch, to disprove that a program has been quite good the last dozen years.

nah, they suck.

Like I said, since 2004:

Xavier has 12 NCAAT wins
Virginia 4
Maryland 4
Wake 2
GTech 2
etc etc

Xavier would struggle to make the Tourney? From 2007-2013 the KenPom ratings of Xavier were 35, 18, 20, 17, 39, 48. I know you will say it -- Ken Pom sucks. So let's go with results -- it made the sweet 16, 6 times in the last 12 years, the elite 8 twice. In the past 3 years it has managed to consistnetly beat old Big East schools that were somehow able to make the tourney fairly regularly,

Butler would struggle to have ever made the Tourney? Butler has had KP's of 38,33, 9, 40, 19, 19, in years between 2005 and 2013. And once again, I know Ken Pom sucks. So do 3 sweet 16's, and 2 title games over those year. And they have also managed to do quite well against Big East teams that regularly made the tournament in the Old Big East.

They would have been an 8 loss team in the Big East conference after the expansion with L'ville, Cinci, etc. Depending on how they did out of conference, that would put them on/near the bubble most years. No way would Xavier finish top 5 ever in the Big East when it was a monster.

Should've stuck with what I said before. I quit. There's a game to watch. I'm okay with all of you being wrong.

i am definitely sure i do not want to play nova, or seton hall for that matter. they are teams that can beat anyone on any given day. especially seton hall---no one takes them seriously--since pj

Wow! There has been more discussion of Xavier in this thread than there has been in Cincinnati this year. Frankly put, nobody gives a shite about X. It infuriates their fans but it is what it is. They have a decent program over the past 30-40 years and have had a good run of head coaches. But they all seem to leave. Why? Because they get tired of playing second fiddle in a town that doesn't really care about them. They have a solid core of passionate (irritating) fans. But almost all of their fans are students and alumni. Other than that nobody pays much attention to them. Once in while you'll hear from a Xavier fan complaining that they don't get the coverage UC does. Inevitably the announcer will respond that its because nobody calls about them. I heard an announcer once tell an X fan "I understand that Xavier beat UC. I understand they are higher ranked. But I've got 10 calls on hold and they all want to talk about UC. So who am I supposed to talk about?"

As far as this years team is concerned...they are very good. And they may finally have a coach that won't leave...because he's an alumni.

Wow! There has been more discussion of Xavier in this thread than there has been in Cincinnati this year. Frankly put, nobody gives a shite about X. It infuriates their fans but it is what it is. They have a decent program over the past 30-40 years and have had a good run of head coaches. But they all seem to leave. Why? Because they get tired of playing second fiddle in a town that doesn't really care about them. They have a solid core of passionate (irritating) fans. But almost all of their fans are students and alumni. Other than that nobody pays much attention to them. Once in while you'll hear from a Xavier fan complaining that they don't get the coverage UC does. Inevitably the announcer will respond that its because nobody calls about them. I heard an announcer once tell an X fan "I understand that Xavier beat UC. I understand they are higher ranked. But I've got 10 calls on hold and they all want to talk about UC. So who am I supposed to talk about?"

As far as this years team is concerned...they are very good. And they may finally have a coach that won't leave...because he's an alumni.

That's like a mini version of BC competing with all the Boston pro sports.

So arbitrary cutoff dates are what we're rolling with?

Ha.

Here's another "arbitrary" stat then. Since the NCAAT went to a field of 64 in 1985, NCAAT wins:

Maryland 30
Xavier 23
GTech 22
NC St 19
Wake 16
Virginia 14
BC 13 (only 3 in the ACC)
FSU 10
Clemson 6
Miami 6 (3 in the ACC)
VaTech 2

Xavier has done well through the years especially considering they haven't been in a "Big 6" conference till the 2013-14 season.

theyre gonzaga

Speaking of Gonzaga......just watched them play BYU. My god was that painful.

I've never seen two teams that would be harder to officiate. Slapping, flopping, those fake fouls where you pull the off arm of the defender into your chest just to flop, the ones where you stick your arms under the defenders arms and act like he's tying you up......it's such a silly version of basketball. It's like basketball acting class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom