I keep waiting for Kaleb Joseph to shake off what ever is stopping him from playing like what the c | Syracusefan.com

I keep waiting for Kaleb Joseph to shake off what ever is stopping him from playing like what the c

CaliCuse

All American
-what ever the coaches saw to offer him a scholarship. It seems likely he never will be able to play at the Div1 power 5 level.

I am giving up hope slowly as well. I don't see what we saw in him over Patterson imo. Was shocked the way we threw Buss under the Buss he had more potential especially for our system by a longshot. Was shocked when DC called Buss out no knock on DC :).

Taller, good on the ball defender even as a soph, and physical(something that is a gem to have with all the one and two and dones). Joseph is scoring less then Buss did last year (its pretty much rock bottom). I think Buss had to do with family matters.

Just a sophmore though, you never know. He really needs to get out of his comfort zone. Hes a workout freak, but it needs to dawn on him his regular routine comfort zone isn't bringing anything good to the team.

Wish we had Buss this year instead.

Last edited:
I am giving up hope slowly as well. I don't see what we saw in him over Patterson imo. Was shocked the way we threw Buss under the Buss he had more potential especially for our system by a longshot. Was shocked when DC called Buss out no knock on DC :).

Taller, good on the ball defender even as a soph, and physical(something that is a gem to have with all the one and two and dones). Joseph is scoring less then Buss did last year (its pretty much rock bottom). I think Buss had to do with family matters.

Just a sophmore though, you never know. He really needs to get out of his comfort zone. Hes a workout freak, but it needs to dawn on him his regular routine comfort zone isn't bringing anything good to the team.

Wish we had Buss this year.

Yeah, I never really thought Buss seemed like the lost cause a lot of people did. He was active on defense, better off the bounce and had better vision once getting into the lane than any of other guards we've had of late. He was like Bizarro-Cooney on offense. They were both perfectly acceptable, but overall sort of blah, back-up guards. Neither one is particularly worthy of 40 minutes. JB always said he could shoot the lights out in practice, but was awful until he found the range and needed too much time to warm-up (or something to that effect in SWC's weekly recaps).

As far as Joseph, why they keep allowing him to play PG is beyond me. Even if Cooney is partnered with him in the backcourt, I would make Cooney the PG. Joseph is so wrapped up in assuming that role that he seems lost (at least that's my perception). Keep him far away from that duty. As far as possible. Tell him he's a shooting guard only, hell tell him he's the SF - give him some freedom to ignore that mentality. Maybe he plays a bit looser. I don't know though, if Howard is healthy again, I might not play him at all. He's a disaster, and regressing again...

Wish we had Buss this year instead.
DC called Buss out???

Joseph has shown more flashes than Buss did, IMO.

DC called Buss out???

Not to fan the fire, its understandable Buss shot really poor in games.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/derr...-and-dropping-the-hammer-on-one-player.86179/

Maybe he should continue to. We can't have softminded players. Make a mistake take the chewing and play better :p

I would much rather have had buss this year and probably next.
Kalebs upside was he could get it to the mid low post threat off the dribble. That worked last year with Rak but we don't have a post up guy this year.

Hopefully if he continues to not get to rim/freethrow line he can atleast set paschal up for some quick points next year.

Last edited:
I've stopped waiting. Sorry, but he's had his opportunities
I think he belongs at LeMoyne.

I don't want to put the kid down, but I think he'd do much better at a lower level. Maybe a Holy Cross, Vermont or Quinnipiac? Maybe not that low.

I can't believe how much he's regressed though. This kid had some moments last year (double-double @Nova, for example), but has looked completely lost in his limited minutes. He's not even trusted on a team with no other options. I think the writing is on the wall for him.

hey kj played 6 minutes and had one turnover. admittedly it was bad and led to points. but he had lots of company in the no handle/bad pass turnover department last game especially down the stretch. (g),cooney and mal all combined for 11 !
i'd say joseph did the least damage in the backcourt last game given his limited minutes. don't lay this loss on him.

Last edited:
-what ever the coaches saw to offer him a scholarship. It seems likely he never will be able to play at the Div1 power 5 level.
I do not have a clue what they thought they saw, in two seasons I have seen nothing that would indicate he is a talent. I am not happy about this but it is just true. Surprising because we bypassed other players to give this kid a scholly.

Really. Not to pick on anyone but don't you think this kid is trying. If you can't show any appreciation how about leaving this kid alone. Maybe he is over his head but when did it become popular to talk so negative about our own players. You guys probably thought that Boeheim kid from Lyons, NY would never amount to anything. Lots of negative nancys out there. I don't think there is one player on this years team that has not been raked over the coals.

Really. Not to pick on anyone but don't you think this kid is trying. If you can't show any appreciation how about leaving this kid alone. Maybe he is over his head but when did it become popular to talk so negative about our own players. You guys probably thought that Boeheim kid from Lyons, NY would never amount to anything. Lots of negative nancys out there. I don't think there is one player on this years team that has not been raked over the coals.

That Boeheim kid was overrated. Without Bing he was nothing! Nothing! :)

Hes got so soft attacking the lane, no midpost floater that's my biggest criticism. Hes a sophmore ball handler with superior speed.

Hes got to get 6-8 feet from the basket and throw it off the backboard every once in awhile.

Really. Not to pick on anyone but don't you think this kid is trying. If you can't show any appreciation how about leaving this kid alone. Maybe he is over his head but when did it become popular to talk so negative about our own players. You guys probably thought that Boeheim kid from Lyons, NY would never amount to anything. Lots of negative ancys out there.
I don't think there is one player on this years team that has not been raked over the coals.
This kid must have been playing at a high enough level to be standing out for our coaches to come and observe soWTF happened between there and the Dome? or put on the Orangeuniform. Did he try too hardto be the next Tyler Ennis? I remember his reaction when Tyler announced he was leaving early. Kaleb maybe wasn't ready at that moment and he hasn't come out of his shock. It would make sense if he transferred out. In the mean time we have Frank Howard toslip in there if he gets enough PT starting tomorrow.

This kid must have been playing at a high enough level to be standing out for our coaches to come and observe soWTF happened between there and the Dome? or put on the Orangeuniform. Did he try too hardto be the next Tyler Ennis? I remember his reaction when Tyler announced he was leaving early. Kaleb maybe wasn't ready at that moment and he hasn't come out of his shock. It would make sense if he transferred out. In the mean time we have Frank Howard toslip in there if he gets enough PT starting tomorrow.
I don't think its as much his pg duties as it is other stuff.

He didn't come in with a good jumpshot. He came in as a undersized guard who used his speed and athleticism to take advantage in the lane in highschool. He had floaters and he had dunks at will. Was averaging low mid 20's I think. Of course it was for Cushing not a top level AAU or highschool program. Another small state player who took advantage of the level of competition like Cooney did.
Since then he doesn't rebound, isn't really a good on the ball defender still doesn't have a jumpshot, and worst of all has never developed the finishing in the lane he had in highschool.

His PG play is actually decent. I was under the impression, he was a score first pg in highschool.
If the team doesn't go on runs with Gbinije at point it isn't going to go on runs with Kaleb not scoring either.

I envisioned him as a slightly taller takes more contact in the lane then Flynn kind of guard, but he hasn't developed that yet. I even thought he would have a shot at the nba some day. Hes so far from what his ceiling was, it isn't funny.

I'm pretty certain the experience of starting out the gate and dealing with bigger, stronger, quicker guards from jump last year shell shocked him a bit. You could look at him last year an tell he wasn't physically ready. The issues he could hide in high school (ie going to his left) were masked bc of the level of competition he was facing then. Can't get away w that starting out of high school in the ACC. With that said he still averaged about 4 assists a game last year.

The kid has talent, he was a top 50 recruit with some very solid offers. But he absolutely needs time to develop and the situation here does not seem to present that opportunity for him. Learning from Ennis would have been tremendous for him. There is no PG on this roster and he goes out there now for spot minutes, presses and looks lost most of the time.

To me he always looks like he is playing scared. Last season I had the opportunity to sit court-side (thanks CTO!) and I could see fear in his eyes the entire game, whether things were going well or poorly for him he literally looked scared. After that experience of seeing him up close I noticed (and still notice) it more and more watching him play. Having confidence in yourself goes a LONG way to being successful at any level.

I don't think its as much his pg duties as it is other stuff.

He didn't come in with a good jumpshot. He came in as a undersized guard who used his speed and athleticism to take advantage in the lane in highschool. He had floaters and he had dunks at will. Was averaging low mid 20's I think. Of course it was for Cushing not a top level AAU or highschool program. Another small state player who took advantage of the level of competition like Cooney did.
Since then he doesn't rebound, isn't really a good on the ball defender still doesn't have a jumpshot, and worst of all has never developed the finishing in the lane he had in highschool.

His PG play is actually decent. I was under the impression, he was a score first pg in highschool.
If the team doesn't go on runs with Gbinije at point it isn't going to go on runs with Kaleb not scoring either.

I envisioned him as a slightly taller takes more contact in the lane then Flynn kind of guard, but he hasn't developed that yet. I even thought he would have a shot at the nba some day. Hes so far from what his ceiling was, it isn't funny.

I have to diplomatically disagree. KJ has absolutely no handle whatsoever, certainly not in traffic or when guarded tightly. I would think that that is the first & foremost critical skillset to have as a point guard. All I see him do is dribble side to side, wax on wax off, etc. He doesn't/can't penetrate into the lane, therefore, does not create anything for the offense. His dribble is fundamentally flawed from what I've seen as it's constantly high, a trait that no point guard (especially one of his relatively small stature) desires. Since he has been playing organized ball for years, this is a fatal flaw of his that I don't see being overcome and changed anytime soon and why I don't expect the results to be any better for him/us at the point guard position.

KJ was thrust into the starting PG role last year and wasn't ready for it. Not his fault. No one anticipated he would be the starter until a season or two later but that's life currently in college ball when kids leave early. It's understandable that JB would choose to keep KJ rather than Patterson because KJ had been the starter and would be expected to improve by sophomore season whereas Patterson was a bench player. The whole thing would be moot if we hadn't lost scholarships due to a highly dubious NCAA decision.

KJ was thrust into the starting PG role last year and wasn't ready for it. Not his fault. No one anticipated he would be the starter until a season or two later but that's life currently in college ball when kids leave early. It's understandable that JB would choose to keep KJ rather than Patterson because KJ had been the starter and would be expected to improve by sophomore season whereas Patterson was a bench player. The whole thing would be moot if we hadn't lost scholarships due to a highly dubious NCAA decision.

Sorry but the previous poster is right, he does not have now and probably never will have the ball handling ability to play point at our level of competition. There is no other position he is remotely capable of playing. Sometimes players for various reasons are simply overrated and I am sorry to say he falls in this category.
In tonight's game he was totally ineffectual, and Clemson made a major run during the time he was on the court. Hopkins had subs waiting to replace him but failed to call time out and get them in before we fell behind by 8 points.

Sorry but the previous poster is right, he does not have now and probably never will have the ball handling ability to play point at our level of competition. There is no other position he is remotely capable of playing. Sometimes players for various reasons are simply overrated and I am sorry to say he falls in this category.
In tonight's game he was totally ineffectual, and Clemson made a major run during the time he was on the court. Hopkins had subs waiting to replace him but failed to call time out and get them in before we fell behind by 8 points.

Exactly!

I focused on KJ during that span he was in and it was so obvious that our offense went completely stagnant. I noticed how every time he brought the ball over the time line, he dribbled side to side and then after getting nowhere, would pass to a player of ours who ran out/towards him to catch a pass. This same process was repeated consistently while he was in, generating absolutely nothing for the offense. Anyone who watches film on him can see this, certainly the other team's scouts know it. It's so predictable, it makes me cringe. I'm not sure what his role here can be with neither a solid handle nor an ability to drive/create. Additionally, due to his relatively small stature, he's not an ideal size for a 2g, not to mention having what appears to be less than an average J.

This isn't fair, and I had (somewhat) high hopes for him before this year, but there was a play on Saturday when he was bringing the ball up, had to turn his back to the defender at half court (never a good sign when the PG has to turn his back to shield the ball) and still got his pocket picked. I kind of totally gave up on him being a contributor after that.

This isn't fair, and I had (somewhat) high hopes for him before this year, but there was a play on Saturday when he was bringing the ball up, had to turn his back to the defender at half court (never a good sign when the PG has to turn his back to shield the ball) and still got his pocket picked. I kind of totally gave up on him being a contributor after that.

And then the immediate and one that ensued... :bang:

Sadly, this is as much of an indictment of the coaches' fundamental skill development program as it is a knock on Kaleb. There are numerous drills that the coaches can employ that improve dribbling and passing through providing game-like pressure defense, traps, and so on.

The fact that our players (including two fifth-year seniors) have no idea of how to beat teams that blitz ball screens, can't use their dribbling and passing skills take advantage of teams that apply hard pressure to the ball and/or overplay passing lanes, rarely recognize when defenses cheat screens, and can't exploit teams that switch screens leads me to question what we are drilling in practice.

I am a Coach Boeheim (and his staff) admirer. However, I think constructive questions should always be asked to improve instruction, the learning process and, ultimately, results. What techniques/drills are we using to teach these skills now? How are we employing them? What specific objectives do we have for each drill, and are they communicated clearly to the players? If these strategies aren't working, are there others that can be used that may produce better results?

If it was just a single player that wasn't developing, I'd blame that player. When a program shows the same issues with different players over a number of years, there is something amiss with the teaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom